"31 percent of street fights end up on the ground . . .

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "31 percent of street fights end up on the ground . . .

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Bill Wallace countered that 99% of all fights start standing up. :) I think preparing and training for both and anticipating neither is sensible. Either the opponent will be better or not. If he's a better grappler, then striking will be at least as useful. If one's a good grappler, it makes sense to use that advantage. If the opponent is a better grappler and striker, what difference will it make whether the fight is stand up or on the ground?

I think the stats in the article are probably correct, though.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Gravity hits pretty hard. Can definitely take the fight out of most folks in a hurry.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:57 pm

31 percent...

“And to be honest…
The real number is even less:
We still counted it when it was a group fight and just one of the fights ended up on the ground!”

Deliberate takedowns 13%
Falls or knocked downs 18%

Interesting read.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm

At least we are getting closer to the truth & at least this article seems to be trying to be objective & semi-scientific.

The thing to think about is - these stats are general stats of captured video. What would the stats be for someone experienced in real world scenarios, knows how to strike and has good take down defense skills?

A. Far far less.

I understand training for the ground because it is enjoyable but if self defense is the goal it's the last place to develop a solid skill base. Basic ground skills would probably come in at 5th place & even then it should be limited to controls, escapes & optionally a couple of subs. Advanced stuff is next to non existent & is far easier to learn to ground and pound.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan