Personal Attacks on RSF.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Personal Attacks on RSF.

Postby Bill on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:17 am

From the "Political Humor Only Please" Thread

We see grzegorz going out of his way to deliver a personal insult to fellow forum member Mike.

grzegorz wrote:Giles,

FWIW Mike is just a bitter expat who teaches English in China with a fake degree and who can't come back.

You will find China full of these freaks. They basically just go around complaining and crapping on everything. Rather than moving on with their lives, accepting their fate and learning Chinese, they turn to the internet to make others feel their pain and suffering.

I find it inappropriate to insult the other members of this forum and will no longer respond to those who do so.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Personal Attacks on RSF.

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am

I feel that personal attacks should be kept personal, through pm, for ex. However, I have read plenty of "attacks" on RSF. People have been banned.

Otoh, I see nothing at all different between insulting, demeaning, or offensive remarks being thrown at other RSF members and those remarks being made toward other groups or individuals. That's especially true if someone thinks those groups or individuals are too easily "offended."

Frankly, anyone can say anything they want to about me because I really don't give a flying fuck. I don't have a problem addressing personal attacks. But, I try hard to avoid making them. I tell my writing students a simple trick. Never use "you" or someone's name in an argument. Arguments using "you" are personal, whether someone considers them an attack or not.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 am

Makes one wonder who the 'snowflakes' really are.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 am

If you're going to insult someone at least do it to their face.
It seems those two have a history, but personally never had a single moment or issue with Michael.

The other guy, not so much. I've taken on a bit of a zero tolerence in regards social media.
I don't want to waste my time on people and discussions that turn me off.
So I turned him off!

As for insults/ attacks that sort of thing. I'm not shy of it, so much - but I'm big and ugly enough to accept a taste of my own medicine.
If you can give it you have to be able to take it - or give more back I guess.

There's no way it is ever a good thing, or lead to good things - for me if I personally insulted someone it was always a case of my emotions getting the better of me and 'heat of the moment' stuff. Mostly I would be regretful over some outburst and make some apology if I was out of line.

Other times, people just don't seem to deserve any better.
What are you gonna do ?
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 am

One reason I quite like RSF is that mostly (mostly :P ) the level of exchange and debate ranges from really good to reasonably good. On martial arts and on more emotive topics. There are some people here with whom I disagree strongly, and I'm prepared to say it, and maybe a couple or three whom I guess I wouldn't like much if I met them personally. Although these two things don't necessarily always correspond. But I think there's enough blind hate and unnecessary confrontation going round in the world, partly thanks to the Internet & Co., without me adding to this 'noise level'. I still try to stick to the old (boring?) principle that I talk to people on the Internet in roughly the same way I'd talk to them if I were talking to them face to face.
I still like the Michelle Obama quote about aiming to go high even when they go low. In the long term I think that is not only less stressful for oneself but also more productive. -- And that is certainly not the same as turning the other cheek.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:56 am

While I agree with the context of the op.
Of those I've met from rsf over the yrs. All have been good people, with interesting skill sets.

On the net, the tone of what one says can be taken in many different ways that can be very different when said in person.

There are interesting conversation outside of martial arts here, as the op and others noted I would echo, instead of just different viewpoints some seem to use demeaning the other as a tactic of discussion.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 am

"
"Bill" wrote:

I find it inappropriate to insult the other members of this forum and will no longer respond to those who do so.

A good policy.
On a larger scale this is what's happening in our society.
Never has a good ending.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:40 am

Insulting people is certainly not a new thing in our society. People have been calling others "freaks," "savages," and other choice terms for most of its history. In fact, people have only been able to complain about the names they've been called fairly recently. Before that, they just had to take it.

Be that as it may, nowadays people complain about being insulted, and they're ridiculed for being so touchy. Nobody has ever liked being ridiculed or insulted; but, it seems hard for people to understand that. That's especially true when they don't think the people being ridiculed are around. They usually are, but the point is that they're invisible. What are they going to do, complain? Say, "I don't like being called that." Only to be criticized for trying to change someone's language.

Anyway, the best and easiest way to fix the problem is just not to be "that guy." But, some would say that interferes with their right to "free speech," or that it was forcing them to be "politically correct." Decide whether a comment is funny, true, or right, by imagining that it's talking about you. Sure, lots of people can dish it out, but can't take one bit. It's usually best not to tell them the truth because they'd be insulted. Sometimes, though, it just has to be done.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:56 am

The RSF has matured a lot from the old days of the EF. When I joined I remember that I felt quite insecure and had difficulties communicating. Not only because of lack of English skills, but it was a tough place. It is certainly a more forgiving place these days. People usually don’t react too much on provocations making this board an environment that doesn’t attract too many trolls. I like it here. It’s a privilege to be here with all of this people, people who have a lot of knowledge and have gone through many different things, and sometimes difficulties, in their lives. It’s usually a good place. But still, none of us are perfect. And we all have our bad days...
Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:03 pm

I like the personal attacks
It shows where people's training has taken them and allows me to see their skill level lies
I especially like it when all there backups come in to support their mates
Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are
I was sorry when a particularly outrageous attack on me was taken down from the Facebook site
Wish I had saved it ,it showed a lot and his mates chiming in showed more
All I did was critieqe some false information
I feel it is my duty as a senior practitioner to try to add an alternate view so that the unaware are not led down false paths
The thing I would love is to read this site and never have the need to post
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bill on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm

I have to agree with Steve..
Steve James wrote: Frankly, anyone can say anything they want to about me because I really don't give a flying fuck. I don't have a problem addressing personal attacks. But, I try hard to avoid making them. I tell my writing students a simple trick. Never use "you" or someone's name in an argument. Arguments using "you" are personal, whether someone considers them an attack or not.

I grew up in New Jersey and insults are like a game to me. But here, on this forum, we should critique others ideas but not each other.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:32 pm

As to face to face there is nothing I have ever said here that I would not say to someone's face.

Cloudz,

You asked me a question I answered and you ignored me.

Yet you continuously talk about me. Oh well...

Bill,

As I recall both you and Mike enjoy posting assasination cartoons here of politicians yet when I try to debate you guys you cut and run.

What can I say?

Mike is obsessed with a certain teenage girl and keeps slamming her online so I slam him because I think he is nothing more than what I said above.

Hell he doesn't even train.

He makes and mocks women, gays, minorities and others. I stood up to these people all of my life and I am not stopping now.

What's the point of free speech if people are afraid to use it?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:35 pm

GrahamB wrote:Makes one wonder who the 'snowflakes' really are.

Exactly!

I will lay off and give these people a safe space so they can safely attack women and children from behind a keyboard.

G
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Who is Mike
It's confusing when people use avatars and those that know them refer to them by their real names
Last edited by wayne hansen on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Zero sympathy for anyone who spends most of their time making "personally" insulting antisemitic and homophobic quips. Back in the day, he would have been long gone carrying on like that. It's fine, because I think it's important for people to know that there are others who think this way. But, I'm going to call it out when I see it. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just trying to prevent the poison from spreading.

Anyway, I thought Mike had relocated to Texas some time back. So, Greg is sort of stepping on the rake with that quoted insult. *ouch!*
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic