Flying Monk 32 Yi Quan A Fighting Art with James Carss

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Flying Monk 32 Yi Quan A Fighting Art with James Carss

Postby YinYangFish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:02 am

Think this is him doing some sticky hands?

YinYangFish

Postby YinYangFish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:44 am

retreats108 wrote:James Carss is Han branch not Yao....different.

Most of my teachers talk about focus on oneself not outside.

Chen Yuen San - uses analogy of eating, and to always keep attention on inner feeling and requirements.

Serge Augier in his Daoist Boxing book quoting Gary Lam ...just don't care what they do!

Paul Rogers high level Zhao Dao Xin Yiquan exponent gives detailed teaching on inner requirements, and warns against losing oneself by following the enemy's attack or intent.

He Jing Han says just keep your attention on your structure and let the enemy walk onto it...not to project mind out as you will lose yourself.

GM Sam Chin constantly reminds students to keep attention on the requirements of structure and contact points, not to lose one's mind by intending outwards.

(listen to Zen Mind Martial Power for detailed explanation of my studies with above)

Alex, out of those you have mentioned above, who would you say is the best? I'm looking to learn from a good teacher that can actually use what they train against someone trying to fight back. I've come across too many teachers (as I'm sure you have) who can't use what they teach! I'm based in Bristol. Thanks, Simon.
YinYangFish

Postby lineofintent on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:30 am

Hi Simon

You are not far away from Paul Rogers, who has brilliant skill.

He is very traditional, does not like to teach people who already teach, or those who go there with ego problems.

As to who is best, the best is the one you can practically see often, and you trust and like each other.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby YinYangFish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 am

Alex, thanks for your reply. Do you have any more information on Paul? How to get in touch with him etc? Looks very powerful in the videos!

I don't mind traveling to find the best fighting skills! Visit London, Gloucester, Leeds, Southampton to see my teachers/coaches. Is Paul still the best bet?

Thanks again.
Last edited by YinYangFish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
YinYangFish

Postby lineofintent on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am

Simon you can contact me on [email protected]

I have made 2 films documenting Paul's life and teaching, please refer to my website below.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 am

James Carss asked me to link this video of him doing a match in Hong Kong some years ago, against a respected local teacher of Okinawan karate.

lineofintent
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 am

Simon to answer your question, if you are willing to stop training from all those other teachers, start with an empty cup with Paul, you will find a very high level of teaching.

It all depends on the affinity between student and teacher, no matter how great the teacher is.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby YinYangFish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 am

Thank you Alex. I train with Steve Morris and he says similar things! You've met many people so I'll go with your suggestion on Paul as I assume he's the best. The videos you've done with him definitely show something different to most. Thanks again, I'll be in contact. Simon.
YinYangFish

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:36 pm

[quote="retreats108"]James Carss asked me to link this video of him doing a match in Hong Kong some years ago, against a respected local teacher of Okinawan karate.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9IkiGzYsY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR255-akWduEE8e9AhTZ8eIKHa-D_xpSopcOVczmWNAMREG3RSlsqrCF7mw[/youtube][/quote]

Can someone please explain the Yiquan method exhibited in the clip ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:43 am

Now I can not see the video but I guess it’s a competition freefighting bout ?

So,It’s not the outcome of the practice that defines it as YiQuan, but it’s the specific application of Yi in the practice that is YiQuan.
And this very much also applies to for example XYQ and TJQ too
Trick

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 am

Trick,
Please observe retreats last post, it hold the clip I am referring to, it’s a good match, but I’m not clear on the intent you speak of.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:32 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Trick,
Please observe retreats last post, it hold the clip I am referring to, it’s a good match, but I’m not clear on the intent you speak of.

cant see youtube.....but now i understand that its about of what i guessed......i wont go into the practice methods of yiquan, more than just saying that its just that, a specific method of practice. an practitioner have no specific appearance or characteristic moves if engaged in combat
Trick

Previous

Return to Video Links