Monkey Steal's Peach: Xing Yi Trailer.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Monkey Steal's Peach: Xing Yi Trailer.

Postby marvin8 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:13 am

Monkey Steals Peach
Oct 6, 2019

In today's episode we visit the Song Family home in Taigu to talk to the head of the family, Song Guang Hua about the internal aspects of Song Family Xingyi Quan, and his son also gives a demonstration and explanation of Yin Yang theory and how it pertains to Pi Quan.
In this series, I team up with Paul Andrews of Xingyi Academy and Jon Nicklin to travel to Tianjin, Shanxi and Henan to explore the various styles of the art of Xingyi Quan. We will cover the Hebei Style of Li Cun Yi, Song and Che Family Xingyi in Taigu, Dai Style Xinyi in Qi County and Muslim Xinyi Liuhe in Henan Province:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWwhHkUNXc
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:05 am

This episode is one I liked very much. The difference of uses strength from the back or front, how to use the ribs and back etc.

Too narrow and single minded focus regarding body mechanics nowadays. Variation and subtleties are often lost. Seems like some real authentic kick ass shit going on here. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:50 am

I’ll asked before, are the vids to be found on the Chinese tubes too?
Trick

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

@Trick - if you are in China best to just watch the vids on Will's Wechat channel - just look for Monkey Steals Peach.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:05 am

Yes I got that info before, I’ll try it again
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 am

Ha, I’ve got it, thanks!
Trick

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:53 pm

For those who are interested I have done a companion blog post to go with the video of the visit to the Che style practitioners here: http://wulinmingshi.com/2019/10/10/xingyi-roots-series-shanxi-xyq-che-style-in-taigu/
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am

In the clip, is Paul aware that the shoulder strike executed at full force is pretty close to a finisher? In Xing I, no one stops after landing one strike, as a high level instructor I’m sure he knows that.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am

nicklinjm wrote:For those who are interested I have done a companion blog post to go with the video of the visit to the Che style practitioners here: http://wulinmingshi.com/2019/10/10/xingyi-roots-series-shanxi-xyq-che-style-in-taigu/

Have you been taught the Song style Pan gen? And the Dantian self massage?

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 am

@D_Glenn, so far I have only learnt the basics of Pan Gen, don't think anyone in our group practices Dantian self massage - will ask my sifu about it next time I see him.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 am

nicklinjm wrote:@D_Glenn, so far I have only learnt the basics of Pan Gen, don't think anyone in our group practices Dantian self massage - will ask my sifu about it next time I see him.

Curious, does it emphasize ‘Scissor thigh stepping’?
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Not in the version I learnt, just fairly natural heel-toe step with bai bu / kou bu. Who knows though, have seen at least 3 different versions of Pan Gen from different branches.....
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Just posted a short brain dump on my blog about our visit to the Song family as well: http://wulinmingshi.com/2019/10/14/xingyi-roots-series-shanxi-xyq-song-family-visit/
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:33 pm

nicklinjm wrote:@YinYangFish, Hao Xiqing (the teacher with a shaven head demonstrating the apps on Paul) was being 'nice' for the camera - later on at dinner he showed some more freestyle usage, his ability to show xingyi's shocking power is first class, has the ability to instantly uproot the opponent, Hao and M Zhang in Tianjin were at a similar level.

How do you guys define shocking power?

Also I've decided. The guy with little mustache and blue t shirt at 10:53 on ep4 is my favourite. Seems like he has a good demeanour, works on the subtleties and wants to teach.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 am

dspyrido wrote:
nicklinjm wrote:@YinYangFish, Hao Xiqing (the teacher with a shaven head demonstrating the apps on Paul) was being 'nice' for the camera - later on at dinner he showed some more freestyle usage, his ability to show xingyi's shocking power is first class, has the ability to instantly uproot the opponent, Hao and M Zhang in Tianjin were at a similar level.

How do you guys define shocking power?

Also I've decided. The guy with little mustache and blue t shirt at 10:53 on ep4 is my favourite. Seems like he has a good demeanour, works on the subtleties and wants to teach.

Agree, that mustache guy had some good qualities.

And also, I don’t understand(anymore) the showing and demonstrating “great power” “shocking power” in set situations .......And then, allthat (overemphasized)practice for power generation which turns into feinting and slappy hands if just engage in a little freestyling sparring.
Not saying they should go in try to knockdown the visiting team of three. But if they want to demonstrate how they freestyle spar with the power generation they practiced daily for so long, they could spar eachother(with protective gears of course)? I’ll bet the “old” sleeveless t-shirt guy is really great with boxing gloves on
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links