Trump has gone too far

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Trump has gone too far

Postby origami_itto on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm

I don't know about Eastern cultures, but here in the USA alcohol is so sacred that folks in AA are allowed to take communion without resetting their sober birthday.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 pm

edededed wrote:Hi Ian,

Not meaning to judge others (if you enjoy your alcohol you are free to it), rather my intent was to present another side (that is not oft given, due to peoples' bias towards alcohol). The Kojiki and Nihongi stories I am familiar with, too - I guess that I was interested to see it might interest you to explore a side of Japan that did not favor drinking alcohol. (Anyway Japanese Buddhism is quite interesting for me.)

In modern times we have easy access to multiple religions/cultures so that we can compare ideas and values - e.g. alcohol is sacred in some, immoral in others. Ancient religions (also Greek, Norse, etc.) seem to often have stories about drunken gods reveling for some reason. In the end, we need to decide for ourselves what is personally sacred or not (whether based on tales from the Kojiki or Nihongi, knowledge of physiology, personal experience, etc.).

No problem at all, Ed. I wasn't telling you what you should think is sacred. I was responding to your blanket statement (which didn't come across as a personal conviction--but if that's what it was, that's fine and I wouldn't dream of arguing that) that "alcohol is not sacred." I am not personally religious, but I study the histories of religions for a living and so I thought I should point out that alcohol is, indeed, historically sacred.

I am well aware of the negatives of drinking culture in Japan, and have a few friends who always hated having to go out drinking with their bosses when they were allergic to alcohol. That's really terrible.

I do enjoy some nice libations but can't drink as much as I used to due to time, responsibilities, and a heightened appreciation of the good stuff that unfortunately outpaced my income. In the end, that's all for the best.

Back to my sparkling water and evening readings. :)
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 am

Your job sounds a lot more interesting than mine! I definitely agree that alcohol (and other intoxicants) are considered sacred in some religions. Quite interesting how the same beverage is seen in very different ways by different people! It is nice how in modern times we do have more choice (drink or not?) than ancient folks did, though.

My own stories about alcohol in Japan are not that interesting. A few:
- I used to live near Shinagawa. It seemed that every morning, on the train platform, there was a vomit-pie in almost the same spot. It was always the same unspeakable shade of pink-orange (yet I spoke of it).
- Drinking parties are very tiring as you in general need to pretend to be interested in listening to old guys talk about themselves. Maybe 70% of the time is this.
- Once the old geezer in charge started to talk about his favorite subject, "What is your favorite girl employee?" But one of the women very calmly but assertively told him to please stop talking about that subject. Stopped in his tracks, his uncomfortable look and the awkward silence of all was hilarious (to me). (Unfortunately many people see alcohol has a "free pass" to do things that normally would be considered wrong.)
- A sad part of being a non-drinker is that you essentially have to pay for the drinkers' drinks. At around 4,000 yen ($40?) it is quite expensive per night out, despite being quite hungry afterwards. Some poor folks (usually salesmen) have to go to these every night.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:19 am

More on spirit(uality) of Japan. Never tried the Nippon Water of Life,but would like to, KAMPAI!!! https://whiskywire.com/best-japanese-whiskey/ http://www.japanese-whisky.com
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 am

Drinking here in China is also an attractive activity. I have my fair share of ‘dinner parties’ to attend too. For some reason I tend to hold out longer than most of the “machismo” drinkers that many are, a trick(that I guess most know) is to indulge in the most fat food that’s available at the party, then the drunkenness comes slower and more smoothly.
My main “problem”at these festivities has been the toasting, when to and to whom in what order to toast. So now I usually take the initiative to the first toast to the whole gathering together with a focus toward the most senior/respected partygoer, after that I can ease off and just go along following the others toasting .
Another slight issue I have that can occur at certain dinner parties is the take your shirt off thing(happens usually after a bottle or two of Baijiou has been emptied) it does not include the females since this also belongs to the machismo thing.......But anyway it’s really good time.
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 pm

grzegorz wrote:Image
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 am

That prepper need just to bunk up liquids and himself in the bombshell, there he can live through any war.
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am

Chick-fil-a will do that to you.

Another reason why China is kicking our ass.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic