power and hidden combinations

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

power and hidden combinations

Postby rojcewiczj on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 pm

Lately I have been coming to see power more as the efficiency of a combination of actions rather than the amount of force in a single action.
I have found much greater success acting in a series of actions than trying to maximize force in a single action. There does seem to be a
fundamental solidness or strength required, which is best expressed with clear/direct actions which act in quick succession on one or more
contact points. When a series of actions takes place in a nearly invisible manner, those actions can produce the illusion of being a single
very forceful action which may lead to misunderstanding. What are your thoughts on combinations, or a series of actions? What is interesting
to me is that it is not inherently necessary to bring another body part into play, in order to create a combination,
all sorts of movements can be utilized.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Re: power and hidden combinations

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:55 pm

I think you're on the right track, definitely. There is a process and a sequence in what I train, and following the processes makes a definite difference. Oftentimes it isn't even a process to produce a result as in a kinetic chain to produce a punch, but a process to achieve a state or condition that then produces a result, or maybe it's more correct to say a condition that allows a result to happen.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Could you give some examples of what you mean?

On a slight tangent (I really only kick a ball) - if I get the plant foot's timing/sequence right, the power of the kick is there kind of "naturally" (it's coordinated force, not "brute force"). If I try to "muscle" only the kicking action, it never really works. So the set up of stepping onto my (usually left) foot kind of propels my right leg/foot into the right action. It feels effortless but not "internal", which is fine. Having everything feel effortless is good as a large secondary goal.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 am

It’s absolutely better to start performing one movement from another movement regardless if you deal with punching, kicks, takedowns or whatever. Then you can use your movement as well as momentum from the last move to store jin and the new move to release. When attacking with the right side, the left side stores. “Open” stores for “close”. “Close” stores for “open”. This is why movements should be done in a continuous flow. If you start and stop, then your storing and the best jin from the last movement is gone as soon as you “stop” and you need to start all over again. But yes, movement and storing can be hidden.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:03 am

Bao wrote:It’s absolutely better to start performing one movement from another movement regardless if you deal with punching, kicks, takedowns or whatever. Then you can use your movement as well as momentum from the last move to store jin and the new move to release. When attacking with the right side, the left side stores. “Open” stores for “close”. “Close” stores for “open”. This is why movements should be done in a continuous flow. If you start and stop, then your storing and the best jin from the last movement is gone as soon as you “stop” and you need to start all over again. But yes, movement and storing can be hidden.

this really explains my kicking (a ball) experience well. I assume it's what you guys find in punching, kicking, throwing.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan