Aikido, Taijiuan, XingYi IRL

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Aikido, Taijiuan, XingYi IRL

Postby GrahamB on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm

/Interesting article:

"Unlike the perception that many uninformed may hold, I have found that classical martial arts technique, particularly those from the so-called ‘internal’ martial arts, have been invaluable in my career as a police officer. I generally used aikido, taijiquan and the occasional animal technique from xingyi. There were a number of reasons for that:"

https://kogenbudo.org/my-use-of-classic ... ll-fettes/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Aikido, Taijiuan, XingYi IRL

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 pm

No comments. Tough crowd. Maybe I should have posted about scrolls, internal power, adepts, neigong, fighting, Qi and Taoist lineages...
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:20 pm

TJQ has no 'techniques'
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:38 pm

GrahamB wrote:
No comments. Tough crowd. Maybe I should have posted about scrolls, internal power, adepts, neigong, fighting, Qi and Taoist lineages...

Haha, sorry Graham.

I once cross-trained with a retired LEO who basically said the same thing. His main arts were boxing...and Aikido.

Anyway, it was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby johnwang on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:13 pm

If he can add in the "leg skill" and use his leg to spring his opponent's leg off the ground, the result will be much better. If he can force his opponent to only stand on one leg, his opponent's balance will be weaker.

The purpose of "leg skill" is to force your opponent to stand on one leg.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 am

John - SC benefits all Chinese arts. I think it’s a great compliment to all of them, and it would definitely improve everything shown in the article.

Greg - I have a friend who teaches Aikido and describes it as a brilliant base system rather than a finished art.

BruceP - does mud wrestling have any techniques? :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:02 am

GrahamB wrote:No comments. Tough crowd. Maybe I should have posted about scrolls, internal power, adepts, neigong, fighting, Qi and Taoist lineages...

Lengthy article, needed to get time to read it properly. Good reading.

I’ve read from several police officers through the years, lately found at least two YouTube commenters (I forgot from what clips), sayings that Tai chi and IMA has been a great contribution and really works. What is common is that it gives them great control and a method without using too much violence. They believe that it’s great from a legal perspective to stay away from lawsuits and too much time-consuming trouble.

I don’t know any police that has spoken about similar things, but I have a friend working in the psychiatric care dealing with highly aggressive people, disarming people with weapons and tools as screwdrivers on a daily basis. The law says that he cannot hurt them, so he must use soft methods only. He has special training for this. A bit similar approach.

Personally I’ve never doubted that Tai Chi is extremely useful and it’s the only I’ve practiced that I have found working for me in real situations. So I am always feeling slightly dumbfounded when people feel the need to prove that it works or believe that it doesn’t work. (General remark, not addressed to anyone in particular.)
Last edited by Bao on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:06 am

GrahamB wrote:No comments. Tough crowd. Maybe I should have posted about scrolls, internal power, adepts, neigong, fighting, Qi and Taoist lineages...

Hes not into GJJ, he can’t be real ! Chuck Norris is doing GJJ, and he is for real ...... 8-) ...... Anyway, a fun read, but as someone wrote TJQ has no techniques...as he kind of says in the midst of his technique referring
Trick

Postby Bao on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:11 am

johnwang wrote:If he can add in the "leg skill" and use his leg to spring his opponent's leg off the ground, the result will be much better. If he can force his opponent to only stand on one leg, his opponent's balance will be weaker.

Not necessary. If you understand pressure linking alignment and using leverage it’s not necessary to have an opponent standing on one leg to have great control. Makes no difference really. It’s just another method or another kind of technique.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 am

During the 90’s police in my Swedish hometown trained in Aikido, but it didn’t work out since the time set of for training was too little, I think 1hour a week. Don’t know what they train these days, but believe it’s almost nonexistent. Even the riot/anti terror police I guess has just little hand to hand training....
The Swedish Police Force is also trying to export its soft hand tactics abroad too. some time ago I saw a video report on Swedish police in Ukraine “training” sturdy looking Ukraine police, the look on the local officers face was as ‘what the heck is this about!?’ 8-)
Trick

Postby johnwang on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Leg spring (push hand forward, kick leg backward) exists in the long fist system as well (0.42 - 0.47). Not sure if it exist in Aikido, Taiji, or XingYi.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Here's an interesting thought..

John makes me realise that those techniques he used in the article all look like shuai jiao than anything else... they are from IMA moves but their application is found in more detail in SJ and probably trained in more depth.

There's a lot in Tai Chi that he's probably not using to get the results he is (Tai Chi has no techniques, etc...)

Since he had a purpose for his training - i.e. he had to deal with physical assault on the regular. - wouldn't he just have been better of training pure shuai jiao (presuming it was available)?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 am

The relationship between your leg and your opponent's leg can have the following 3 situations:

1: Your leg and your opponent's leg don't make any contact - you have no control over your opponent's leg.
2. You use your leg to block your opponent's leg - you have some control over your opponent's leg. But your opponent can still escape out of it.
3. You use your leg to knock your opponent's leg off the ground - If your leg can stick on your opponent's leg, you will have the maximum control.

IMO, 3 > 2 > 1. The less mobility that you can give to your opponent's leg, the better advantage that you will have. It's pretty just common sense and has nothing to do with style difference.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:20 am

wouldn't he just have been better of training pure shuai jiao (presuming it was available)?

If he needs to use the legs to get good control, he would probably do better with shuaijiao. IMO, needing to get the leg in there to get control is too late. Also not all environments are suitable or large enough for moving around too much or throw people. Working as a police officer or security guard you need to handle all kinds of environments and seldom have the luxury of comfy mats. It’s not sports we are discussing here.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:22 am

Bao, you know there are two types of SJ. One is sport one is not, er,... right?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan