Taijiquan is a mind directed stretchy and springy exercise

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Taijiquan is a mind directed stretchy and springy exercise

Postby Yeung on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:30 am

I think this is a good definition of Taijiquan from the writing of Shen Jiazhen (1963).
Last edited by Yeung on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Taijiquan is a mind directed stretchy and springy exercise

Postby GrahamB on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 am

So it’s not a martial art then. Thanks for clearing that up.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby robert on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:32 pm

As Graham points out I think it's lacking as a definition of taijiquan. I think that's one aspect of training. IIRC Shun Jiazhen wrote about Chen taiji. It sounds like an expansion of one of the Chen family taiji sayings.

上中下一氣把定,身手足規距繩束,手不向空起,亦不向空落,精敏神巧全在活。

The upper, middle, and lower (move) together (yi qi), the body, hands and feet are lightly stretched (as if) controlled by rope. Hands do not rise empty and also do not fall empty, the essence (of the movement) is agile and mysterious, skillfully combined into a living whole.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:47 pm

That's a cool saying.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 pm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness. It is performed for various reasons, to aid growth and improve strength, preventing aging, developing muscles and the cardiovascular system, honing athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance, improving health and also for enjoyment. Many individuals choose to exercise outdoors where they can congregate in groups, socialize, and enhance well-being.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:25 am

Yeung wrote:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness. It is performed for various reasons, to aid growth and improve strength, preventing aging, developing muscles and the cardiovascular system, honing athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance, improving health and also for enjoyment. Many individuals choose to exercise outdoors where they can congregate in groups, socialize, and enhance well-being.

Tai Chi is not limited to the term "exercise", it's too limited. Tai Chi Chuan is more than a "bodily activity".
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:08 am

I looked up the Collins English Thesaurus and martial arts is not a synonym of exercise, the closest one is a missile being used in a military exercise = manoeuvre. How about:

Taijiquan is a mind directed stretchy and springy exercise for self-defence.

As a noun, exercise has the synonyms of use, exertion, manoeuvre, and task, which sort of including practice, training, etc.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 am

This seems to me as a very western way of looking at Tai Chi Chuan. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:03 pm

It could apply to a lot of martial arts.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:40 am

everything wrote:It could apply to a lot of martial arts.

I’m not sure about that, what others use those specific mind-body specifics that the CIMA does ?
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:18 am

Trick wrote:

I’m not sure about that, what others use those specific mind-body specifics that the CIMA does ?

seems like every single one has to have good mind-body integration, stretchiness, and springiness. heck, same with all sports for that matter (but most of those aren't specifically for self defense). yes, same with yoga ^^^
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:07 pm

yup
I just had close encounter with yogagirl, she showed me some interesting maneuvers 8-)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:48 am

everything wrote:
Trick wrote:

seems like every single one has to have good mind-body integration, stretchiness, and springiness. heck, same with all sports for that matter (but most of those aren't specifically for self defense). yes, same with yoga ^^^

Now I’m sure you are not practicing TJQ or similar.

TJQ at least here in China is the name of the solo form, then one can add sparring and weapons. The solo form(TJQ)has some specific mind body interactions, that stretch and mold in its very specific way, building the required body way. The application of this in itself is not limited to combat scenarios, on the contrary it’s mostly applied in ones regular daily life.
Now the forms also contain ideas on combat, most obviously seen in the physical movements of the form. And then more hidden, ideas and senses on correct timing.
So TJQ(solo form) is not as Yoga. Although the Yoga we see today was created by Scandinavians and implemented into the physical training regime of the British armed forces...that’s why GrahameB is fascinated with it? 8-)
Trick

Postby everything on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:49 am

??? ??? ??? -argh- -argh- -argh-
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan