A sincere hope

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: A sincere hope

Postby Bill on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 am

Here is a good look at how Climate Science manipulates the data to give a false impression of what the climate is doing.

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am

Bill wrote:Here is a good look at how Climate Science manipulates the data to give a false impression of what the climate is doing.

Not very good.

Here are 24 graphs all starting from 1750 and ending in 2015:

http://www.igbp.net/news/pressreleases/ ... 1eb42.html

And, by the way, the fella shown in the still pic of that video is a strong believer in Climate Science and has famously stated, "Denying out and out that climate change is a problem for humanity, as some cynics do, is an unethical, unacceptable position." And, yes, he means man made climate change.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 am

Hey, we’re still in the cold
Glaciologically, ice age is often used to mean a period of ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in an ice age (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).
https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/ice_age.htm
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 am

Trick

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am

Of course, one can find anything they want on the internet to support any preconceived notion they hold. This is why understanding context, nuance, and how to vet sources is important.

I don't have the time or inclination to refute every opinion piece trying to debunk Climate Science or anthropogenic effects on the Earth System.

There is plenty of good information and source material posted earlier in the thread.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm

"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby grzegorz on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Giles wrote:You know, I really do hope that people convinced that human-caused or human-exacerbated climate change is a major threat needing urgent countermeasures are basically WRONG. I also really hope that Bill and Michael and I myself and everyone else in this forum and in the world are still all around in 30 years from now (albeit quite gray and wrinkly). And I hope that those who currently believe that “climate change” is a hoax or just a big bout of mass anxiety/hysteria can then say: “Nah nah-nah! You had it all backwards, getting your panties in a twist over nothing. All those climate researchers, and all those politicians of certain persuasions and all those schoolkids and other ‘normal’ people who believed their warnings and got all upset and went out to demonstrate and made a few cute little lifestyle changes and voted a certain way – they were all deluded. Because here we are 30 years on and the world is doing fine. Global temperatures haven’t risen or aren’t rising to a point where we see that species extinction and ecosystem collapse are not only tragic in themselves but also starting to destroy human societies. Ice caps aren’t melting big time, sea levels are not rising dangerously and weather patterns are not getting much more extreme (and hence dangerous) and low-lying cities and countries are not being threatened or already becoming uninhabitable and being abandoned, or will be soon, and agriculture and basic livability are not collapsing in more vulnerable areas of the world, and countless millions are not migrating from these areas, or attempting to migrate, towards other areas of the world where things are not quite so desperate. And all the big, big suffering and struggles and upheavals and wars and dying that this would bring are not coming about, or starting to happen. And of course other shit is still happening in all areas of life because that’s how it is anyway, but this big feared climate- and ecology-drama just isn’t materialising and we can pretty confidently say that, at that level at least, things are basically quite OK. There was and is no need to get all het up. So here’s a big finger to all the whiners and snowflakes and doom-merchants back then, cos YOU WERE WRONG AND WE WERE RIGHT AND NOW YOU LOOK RIDICULOUS, SO HA-HA, **** YOU!”

Of course that would be a little painful and embarrassing, at least for me personally, and I think I still wouldn’t like many of the other opinions or personalities often encountered together with climate change scepticism/’denial’. But I really, sincerely wish that these people are going to be proved right in 30 years, and that all the scientists and Gretas and so on are going to be proved wrong. And that my young daughter and her children are going to be living in a good environment (in every sense) and can look back at this era of history and shake their heads and smile indulgently. This is not sarcasm or irony on my part. I really hope it turns out this way. I want the scientists and those basically believing them (such as myself) to be proved wrong by events in the future and I want the CC sceptics to be proved right, big time. Including Trump and his circle. If I were conventionally religious I would pray for this. But I’m not, so all I’ll do is hope.

Cue the memes, if you like. It doesn’t really matter :)

Nice writing Giles.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:22 pm

FWIW the fact that the far right and Trump supporters are attacking Greta online just goes to show that Greta's message is getting out and going to places it needs to go otherwise they would be silent.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 pm

The fact that they respond to Greta at all just shows that they know she speaks the truth.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:29 am

The other day in Swedish media an scientist from a Swedish university commented on Greta’s “people are dying” . He said no doubt there is a climate change, and no doubt people are dying because of it, but that the fact is that never has so few died of weather related causes as of now......

Greta’s is used by some people(grownups one may wonder?) for pushin their agenda. The cleverness of using kids(and carefully hiding behind them)in this way is that anyone who criticizes the kid is evil....and we don’t like evils.
Responding to Greta is actually responding to those hiding behind her, that’s pretty obvious?
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:41 am

windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:40 am

Who writes better? The girl with Asbergers or the guy who's supposed to be leader of the free world. That's why she's ridiculed. Envy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 am

Greta’s is used by some people(grownups one may wonder?) for pushin their agenda.

Any evidence to support this? Everything I have seen would suggest otherwise. This is just another in a long line of conspiracy theories forwarded by climate deniers.

We read about the Montreal Protocol this last week as well as the disconnects between public opinion and policy.

I wonder why we were able to come together on the MP and save the planet but seem to be up against much more resistance with Climate Change. Could it be the internet and conspiracy theories, a complete disregard for expertise, and a stunning and rapid spread of the Dunning-Krueger effect?
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 am

grzegorz wrote:FWIW the fact that the far right and Trump supporters are attacking Greta online just goes to show that Greta's message is getting out and going to places it needs to go otherwise they would be silent.

it's a typical snowflake response - ad hominem attack rather than debating based on facts. Meme the messenger.

It's unfortunate that people look out their window and say 'climate change isn't real because it's cold today' and aren't looking at the red alarm areas where it's having the biggest impact on life with melting snow and ice.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 am

It's unfortunate that people look out their window and say 'climate change isn't real because it's cold today' and aren't looking at the red alarm areas where it's having the biggest impact on life with melting snow and ice.

I mean, it's an even more basic problem than that. Weather is not climate.

Then, there are those who try to deny manmade climate change, even though we know how it works and can now observe it rather than relying on models.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic