Wing Chun vs Smaller MMA Fighter — Ding hao vs A Hu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wing Chun vs Smaller MMA Fighter — Ding hao vs A Hu

Postby marvin8 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:42 am

Fght Commentary Breakdowns
Oct 20, 2019

Ding Hao (丁浩) tests out his Wing Chun again. This time, he takes on an MMA fighter nicknamed A Hu that he outweighs 12 kilograms (26.5 lbs). Let's examine the footage we can find and see what we can learn. Like always, please add to our commentary and let me know what you saw that we didn't notice. Do you think Ding Hao is just a poor representative of Wing Chun or is this match a good demonstration of the weaknesses of Ip Man Wing Chun? More to come! Looking forward to the discussions in the comments! Write away on your thoughts on Kung Fu, MMA, Wing Chun, etc.

Sources critiqued:
Angle 1 from Xu Xiaodong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJjrkkp_bg
Angle 2 from an audience member
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av718485 ... 2887099235:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4p6Xvz53RM
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Wing Chun vs Smaller MMA Fighter — Ding hao vs A Hu

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 am

"Don't take a knife to a gun fight".
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:12 am

didn Ip Man disarm a gunner using just a finger
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 am

I think that happens in Yip Man 2.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am

Do you think Ding Hao is just a poor representative of Wing Chun or is this match a good demonstration of the weaknesses of Ip Man Wing Chun?

Another way to look it might be

"what happens when training assumptions /conditions / do not match the actuality of reality /conditions used in"

A common occurrence unless there is a large skill set disparity.

Had a friend in high school who trained wing chun under Chris Chan.
entered into a full contact match of the day....I also knew his opponent
who trained in a local kickboxing gym....The expectation was that the wing chun guy would demolish the kick boxer.

Both of them very tough and serious in their training....

The kick boxer demolished the wing chun guy..
I later asked my friend what happened,, he said " it was like I couldn't move"
It should mentioned that this branch under Chris Chan, was noted for using what they called dynamic tension

Chris Chan along with Bruce Lee....introduced wing chun to the SF bay area .
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:52 am

MMA vs Slip & Slide Kung Fu - A Hu vs Tang Duoji

Fight Commentary Breakdowns
Oct 21, 2019

I found a hilarious clip of our MMA guy in a kickboxing match against the founder of the Kung Fu style Gong Quan. Gong Quan is likely a bullshido brand, but the Master of the style has a really cool slip & slide move that he uses twice to escape the ring corner. Absolutely hilarious! For those of you who like these Chinese freakshow fights, you'll have a good time with this one. Hope you enjoy our commentary. More to come! Looking forward to the discussions in the comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJr2Q1jrwY

windwalker wrote:The kick boxer demolished the wing chun guy..
I later asked my friend what happened,, he said " it was like I couldn't move"

... Chris Chan along with Bruce Lee....introduced wing chun to the SF bay area .

Which appears to be the problem with many TCMAists that lose: lack of training in all ranges, flailing arms (away from the head), trying to bridge while the opponent strikes or clinches, etc.

However, Bruce went on to create Jeet Kune Do influenced by the principles of fencing, boxing, wing chun, etc.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:00 am

Which appears to be the problem with many TCMAists that lose: lack of training in all ranges, flailing arms (away from the head), trying to bridge while the opponent strikes or clinches, etc.

However, Bruce went on to create Jeet Kune Do influenced by the principles of fencing, boxing, wing chun, etc

it's only a problem for those who engage in a combative sport arenas, without understanding the event or capabilities of their opponents.

Many of these styles have large followings because they work and have worked, and are part of China's historical development in martial arts.

What BL did was actually very traditional. The origin stories of most styles are similar in nature.

In the seventies there was a concerted effort by some of the more notable CMA practitioners to open CMA up to the Gen public understanding the need for this to be done in order to advance and improve it's efficiency.

The conundrum of course being that in doing so, much of what was thought that made it work would now be public.

Most of the old styles teachers and traditionalist didn't do this back then and for the most part won't do it now.

As it was then and is now it's up to the practitioner to understand and know the what,why, and how, of their own practice.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am

windwalker wrote:
marvin8 wrote:

However, Bruce went on to create Jeet Kune Do influenced by the principles of fencing, boxing, wing chun, etc

it's only a problem for those who engage in a combative sport arenas, without understanding the event or capabilities of their opponents.

Are you saying TCMAists are ignorant of the event rules or not familiar with muay thai or MMA fighters that is why they lose?

windwalker wrote:Many of these styles have large followings because they work and have worked, and are part of China's historical development in martial arts.

But, they did not work for practitioners like Ding Hao and Wei Lei. Why?
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Are you saying TCMAists are ignorant of the event rules or not familiar with muay thai or MMA fighters that is why they lose?

An observation noted since the 70s. It might be more fair to say that they don't seem to train very much for the events they enter...In the 70s one of our instructors was going to fight full contact at the time,,,,His training was very specific with adaptations made as needed for the event.
The kick boxer who won against the wing chun stylist would not fight with the instructor, forfeited the match.

Used to practice ie sparr with a SSG Brown, who was contender for the light heavy back in the day, He was supposed to fight Jeff Smith.

Using the style I trained in tibetan white crane, he made sure I understood any misunderstanding I might have in my usage. :P

He was trained by the ROKS in while in vietnam. Very tough, very capable
could knock out or knock a person down with a spinning back hook kick...

Jimmy Brown, a staff sergeant (E-6) US Army when I knew him back in the 70s
stationed in Germany...Good guy as I remember him...quite skilled..

In Memory of
GM. Jimmy L. Brown
May 27, 1946
to
November 29, 2007

My first contact with Grandmaster Brown was in August 1972. I had just arrived at my new duty station, 82nd Airborne Division Fort Bragg North Carolina.I was looking for a martial arts school to continue my training.I could not find any Kempo schools in the area.A friend invited me to visit Grandmaster Brown’s school.It was a Monday night when I went to observe.At the end of the night I was so impressed with his techniques, teachings, and explanations of the style of Taekwondo and Hapkido.I immediately joined the Fort Bragg Taekwondo School.

http://www.mccarthystkd.com/memorial/18 ... my-l-brown

windwalker wrote:Many of these styles have large followings because they work and have worked, and are part of China's historical development in martial arts.

But, they did not work for practitioners like Ding Hao and Wei Lei. Why?

Could be many reasons. The most obvious would be, training assumptions based on underestimating
the environment they intend to work in.
Lots of CMA arts and others known for usage by those who use them....
dont translate well in the ring.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Does he even do WC? Throws 0 kicks during the whole thing. Drops his lead hand to block a kick to the thigh (lucky Hu did not pick up on this). In the clinch uses 0 knees not to mention any real clinch control or so called sticky moves to manage it. I guess elbows were out but he wouldn't be able to deliver them anyway.

So rename to "useless guy vs. not bad guy".

And what's an MMA fighter? Is that someone who trains in 2+ styles or someone who has had 1+ comps in a bit more open rules sports fights? At least they didn't say his martial art background is he's a 5th dan black belt professor in UFC.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Oct 22, 2019

This match took place the same night A Hu took on Ding Hao, so A Hu had two fights in one day! In this match, A Hu took on a Tai Chi guy named Song De Cai (宋德才). Let's see how well this Tai Chi guy does against a trained combat sports guy. For those of you who like these Chinese freakshow fights testing styles on styles, you'll have a good time with this one. Hope you enjoy our commentary. More to come! Looking forward to the discussions in the comments! Like always, please keep it civil and try to comment on technique. Also, big shoutout to viewer Liam for sending this clip over for us to critique.

Sources critiqued:
https://youtu.be/btWCCQ6uSrA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7MVj58l7g
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 pm

As a kid I remember a skit on the Dr. Demento show called "boot to the head."

But as we used to say regarding decision making of this kind, "5 for initiative and 1 for judgement."
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 am

GrahamB wrote:I think that happens in Yip Man 2.

Should have been, he probably couldn’t do that without all the sparring in episode one
Trick

Postby roger hao on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 am

Silly to discuss paid stooges technique or style or ability
since this is obvious MMA promotion in China
roger hao

Postby marvin8 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:35 am

roger hao wrote:Silly to discuss paid stooges technique or style or ability
since this is obvious MMA promotion in China

On the contrary, some fighters were offered millions of yuan to win these challenges for TCMA promotion in China.

Oct 28, 2019

Yu Changhua Wing Chun decides to throw some shade on America and the trade war after people keep questioning his training methods and the validity of his applications of Ip Man Wing Chun. Ding Hao, Yu Changhua's student, lost badly to A Hu recently, and there is a lot of criticism of Yu Changhua, especially when he tried to cover Ding's mouth and get him to keep fighting after getting KOed. Let's see what Yu says about America. Leave your comments below.

The article that explains more of Yu Changhua's excuses: http://www.sohu.com/a/349841983_403336
Ground Control lesson set to help your grappling: https://bit.ly/2ksGzUI
Boxing lesson so that you can defeat Wing Chun with one arm: https://bit.ly/2lzuOw9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mP4I3LYoc
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links