Build a forest in your backyard

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Build a forest in your backyard

Postby everything on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 am

Fantastic. What's easiest to start with? My first goal is to thicken up the small patch of woods behind my house that is a "buffer". So going to try to help nature a little bit. After that, maybe can try a mini "food forest".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:39 pm

You can find a lot of good info on woodchips.

Some will spread mounds of woodchips all over an area that they will use for gardening and let that sit for a long time as moisture builds up and the all soil comes alive with micro-organisms.

I didn't do it this way but if there is no rush and I have another opportunity I would.

growingyourgreens with Kohler on YouTube is helpful. He has a ton of videos and is a little wacky but always entertaining.

Watch "Growing a Back To Eden Garden with Wood Chips" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/LJ6yZF8Zme0

Of course with gardening there really isn't a wrong way to do things a lot of it is trial, error and research.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Ok thanks, I put a little premixed top soil on some smaller tree areas today. It had compost, peat moss, rice hulls, and some other stuff. Hopefully that helps them out a bit. Next step is probably learn a lot more about helping the soil out. Then I'll plant some tiny plants (probably trees) in there - about one to three feet into the buffer.

Something about this feels good!! - just to help out the plants that are there. Not even trying to feed myself at this point yet.

Theoretically, I have enough space (according to the Afforest guy's specs) to start my own mini forest (including food), but that will be v3.0 or v4.0 after my first trial and error.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:40 pm

What part of the country do you live in?

Just curious what you can grow.

Also Dave Wilson's Nursery has a lot of good videos on fruit tree varieties.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm

NC - hardiness zone 8. Will try to plant things that are native according to the afforest guide.

Ok cool, thanks on the video suggestions.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Compost, Azomite and worm castings are my main thing. I used to use a wormery but have since released the worms and have them breakdown the compost in the soil.

Making compost and seems to be a never ending learning experience.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:55 pm

"vertical farming"
- no soil
- less land
- less water
- no weeding
- no herbicides, pesticides, etc.
- vegetables grow faster
crazy!
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Yeah its amazing what can be accomplished.

Ron Finely was on Rogan and they discussed that and in my experience the flavor isn't the same as good soil which is what Ron said.

Unfortunately as usual the podcast was mostly Rogan talking endlessly but it was worth sitting through to hear Ron. Not the best interview but Ron is always worth a listen.

The funny thing is that the "white guy" they discuss as having the same message I think is the growingyourgreens guy who also sees growing your own food as the ultimate rebellion.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:50 pm

It's interesting.

I can leave the States and be happier but the fact is growing my own food and the food that I grow what I grow is what keeps me here in a lot of ways.

Perhaps one day, after I retire I have my own organic farm.

Where I live it is famous for stone fruit but I am finding that a lot of other things do well here too like Pink Lady Apples, Kale, Mandarins and avocados. All without any pesticides or chemicals.

I think when you start growing your own food you think a lot more about your food and where it is from. I hear that people actually don't recommend eating store bought strawberries because they use tons of pesticides. Obviously when you grow your own you wouldn't because you are going to eat them. Makes sense that growing is a form of rebellion and on top of that no one gets rich off you growing your own food.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:35 pm

This is a better interview with Ron than Rogan's.

Watch "Ron Finley: The Gangsta Gardener On How to Change a Kid’s Life with A Tomato" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/wAHxGUZZsy4

I will share it on the sincere hope thread.

roger hao wrote:I have banana -papaya-coconut that have matured and producing fruit
Thanks for the ant info - really strange that they have worn pathways
that look like mini cow or dear paths.
Also they carry the gravel from the nest about a foot away from their exit
and they have an exit hole and an entry hole.

Must be nice!

People try to grow bananas in Northern California but I don't think they ever develop the right amount of sugar.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Decided to try some hydroponic lettuce. I got rockwool cubes as a medium at first, but decided to return them and get biodegradable hemp cubes instead. Slight delay. We'll see how it goes in a month or so.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic