Heng and Ha 哼哈

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Heng and Ha 哼哈

Postby Bob on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Heng Ha breathing, in the bajiquan I learned, was about power release determined by the type of strike used and direction of the strike. It can be trained in the neigong part (also reverse breathing) but also in the da qiang exercise, especially the dou qiang one. I've known people who haven't trained in it and their punches are extremely powerful & effective - hard to say how critical it is to the systems (below is a line although it is not from my line of bajiquan):

http://www.wufamilybajiquan.com/technical-features.html

Internal training: As indicated above, BajiQuan makes use of various internal exercises in order to improve the control of Qi. These exercises can be used either for martial applications (generation of the Explosive Power) or for therapeutic purposes. BajiQuan uses classical respiratory exercises (natural and contrary abdominal breathing), but it focuses more especially on an explosive technique of Qi circulation (called Xing Qi), which is based on the use of the “Heng” and “Ha” sounds punctuating the power releases.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't see how it's possible to make a "heng" sound while inhaling.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 pm

The Japanese make all their sounds on the inhale
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 am

I can only make a snort sound.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm

ors wrote:Dear D_Glenn!

What I have written is not my immagination or my own understanding of heng-ha. It is what my teacher has taught to us. It is not an absolut truth at all. It is just how we use this in our lineage coming from Chen Fake... While we use heng, we breath in, we rotate the dantian backward and close the body while gathering force. With the sound "ha" we emit force. Dantian rotating foreward, exhaling etc.

Agree, except it is pretty damn absolute. I wasn't being esoteric. Ha-Heng in Japanese is A-Un, which is the famous buddhist "Om" sound. The generals Heng and Ha, the Nio guardian statues, Shishi, one mouth open one mouth closed. These are obvious and literal representations of the some of the most fundamental concepts in internal arts. Ha - open - exhale. Heng - close - inhale. There is not necessarily a specific noise these make - they can be done silently. It is the concept that's important. Although you can make an inhaling noise by tightening your throat slightly as you inhale.
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby Ed Ladnar on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:45 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The Japanese make all their sounds on the inhale

I have done Japanese arts for 30 years, and this is not a correct statement.
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby ors on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 am

everything wrote:I don't see how it's possible to make a "heng" sound while inhaling.

Indeed. That "heng" is quite an exaggeration, or just a "symbol" of the sound what came out actually, that is why I have written ""Heng" sound is more like "hmp"..."
Not real heng is audible.
Actually we can vocalize while inhaling as well, we just doesn't used to that. The big differnce between the normal vocalization of men and apes (or monkeys) is that apes usually vocalize both with inhaling and exhaling. Men just with exhaling. But we are able to do both as well. :)

D_Glenn!

It is OK, thanks. :)

Cloudz!

Thanks a lot! Aczually you can be free with a lineage as well, but I can understand your feelings... ;)
ors
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 am

Ed Ladnar wrote:

Do you speak Japanese
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ed Ladnar on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
Ed Ladnar wrote:

Do you speak Japanese

No
Ed Ladnar
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 pm

This is where I got my theory

https://youtu.be/uHozpW0Ft94
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous