Wu/Hao style Taijiquan [articles]

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wu/Hao style Taijiquan [articles]

Postby dacheng on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 am

First some outline of the history of the Wu style started by Wu Yuxiang, also known as Hao style

https://wu-taiji.blogspot.com/2019/12/h ... iquan.html
Last edited by dacheng on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dacheng
Wuji

Re: History of Wu/Hao style Taijiquan [article]

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Really nice article Andrzej! First time I have seen some of these masters (Ge Fulai, Li Shengduan, Wei Peilin etc) discussed in English. Do you plan to do some more articles about training aspects of Wu/Hao style also?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:42 am

Yes, I will write some articles about training soon.
dacheng
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:08 am

I would like to understand more about how Hao Weizhen could carry 50kg in each hand or that he practiced using a pole that was weighted at 40kg. Or is that chinese jin? If it's jin it's more sensible but still impressive.

Either that or other aspects to training other than the small frame form.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dacheng on Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 am

They talk about 100 jin bags and 80 jin iron pole, so that would be some 50 kg and 40 kg.

It is said that Hao was a big man and got his physical strength from working in a grain store - carrying big bags full of grain everyday.

BTW, as for the small frame, the training of Wu/Hao style in Guangfu/Yongnian usually starts from medium frame, while small frame is rather for advanced level, not for beginners. it is progress from relatively big movements to small ones. There are some schools (in line of Li Jinfan) where young people learn big frame after learning medium frame and before moving to small frame.
Last edited by dacheng on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dacheng
Wuji

Re: Wu/Hao style Taijiquan [articles]

Postby dacheng on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 am

And talking about strength and training methods of Wu/Hao style, we don't use that, and I didn't really see people training with those, but at the entrance to the school of Sun Jianguo (Li Jinfan's disciple) I noticed such training shoes, with thick sole, made from wood and metal:

dacheng
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:05 pm

dacheng wrote:They talk about 100 jin bags and 80 jin iron pole, so that would be some 50 kg and 40 kg.

It is said that Hao was a big man and got his physical strength from working in a grain store - carrying big bags full of grain everyday.

Yes the bags and the pole. Nice to hear someone else heard it.

Regarding Hao - the story I heard was he was strong due to work but he continued it with his training especially the 40kg pole. He also had some impressive chin na.

On that picture - wow those shoes look awkward. And that equipment. Looking forward to hearing anything about these training methods.

The other story - Hao was challenged by Sun Lu Tang and beat him. That was why Sun decided to learn from him.
dspyrido
Wuji

Re: Wu/Hao style Taijiquan [articles]

Postby dacheng on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:25 am

Just some very basic information for beginners:

https://wu-taiji.blogspot.com/2020/01/t ... style.html
dacheng
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan