McGregor vs Cowboy

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: McGregor vs Cowboy

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm

So is there any film of Ido doing Tai Chi
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm

I think the vertical component of the shoulder strike as shown makes it more characteristic of Monkey boxing than IMA:
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:01 pm

Fake news. I don't believe Conor (or Jon Jones) does tai chi nor is he the first one to use shoulder strikes in MMA.

Excerpt from "Rare Clip Of Jon Jones Using Shoulder Strikes In UFC Fight Proves He Invented Move Not Conor McGregor:"

NASIR JABBAR on 21 January 2020 wrote:Jon Jones made shoulder strikes famous in the UFC despite critics believing Conor McGregor invented the move following his sensational comeback fight. ...

A rare clip shows Jones pinning Glover Teixeira against the fence before landing a brutal shoulder strike during their title bout at UFC 172.

McGregor's coach John Kavanagh says his star pupil has been working on shoulder strikes in training camp.

"That's been going on for the last year or so... it's the first time I've seen them to that level of effectiveness," he told ESPN. ...

Mike Pyle vs TJ Waldburger:

Excerpt from "UFC Fight Night: Conor MCGregor 'I'm bringing more hype than everyone else combined':"

Stephie Haynes on Aug 9, 2013, wrote:I'll train in any style. I always love to learn. I always look at everything. I spend all day looking at videos, or in the gym working on the things that I've seen. I started out doing some kickboxing and boxing, then a little Capoeira, Tae Kwon Do and Karate. The human body can move in many ways, and that's what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for my body to move in all ways, to attack and defend. That's translated into my fighting style. Looking back at the way I used to fight, and the way I fight now, it seems to always change, so I don't know, I just keep trying to learn new shit. ...

Sonny Brown
Jan 21, 2020

A breakdown of shoulder strikes, bumps and shrugs and their use in MMA from the dirty boxing clinch and on the ground. I examine how they cause damage and are used to set up other strikes and takedowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7cGii5mf-8
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 am

Its not used any way like tai chi
Any person being held close with no other moving part will use the shoulder
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 am

wayne hansen wrote:Its not used any way like tai chi
Any person being held close with no other moving part will use the shoulder

QFT

Tactically, each of the 8 Gates is an idea. In the case of Shoulder-stroke, it gives the body its shortest use of 'leverage'. Energetically, Kao/Bump/Shoulder-stroke is one of tjq's 8 methods of binding and compressing the meridians.

Easy to confuse tjq's ideas with whatever applications are cooked up in the pot of connotation. Pick-up-needle is a stretch across the back while lowering with subsequent compression across the back while rising. One could say that ankle-pick accords perfectly with Pick-up-Needle, while the former is a technique and the latter is a method.

BruceP
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:58 pm

I trained several shoulder strikes in XYLH decades ago of which some get used in MMA.

Does this mean that: Conner trained in XYLH OR that XYLH is now an MMA style OR that MMA is now an IMA OR that these moves just look the same OR that Conner "style" is a thief of XYLH? ::)

Yes I don't believe any of this.

Good on him for doing a spectacular finish on a seasoned veteran. I would love to see the opening 30 seconds of Masvidal vs McGregor with them doing a spectacular charge at each other. The shaw brothers would be proud.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Strange on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 am

Taichi-Unasshole-lized Connor!!!!!
Shoulder Strike!!!

I was nearly convinced by all the talk here that IMA dun work!
I said nearly
Yes, you need to calm down
Its like school, you get more stars if you do good
Seven stars in total, how many did you get?
Last edited by Strange on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 am

Bhassler wrote:

*Legendary can mean "great", but also "mythical"-- either of which can be applied to his so-called method, depending on how you look at it. Whichever definition you choose, you can bet there will be a lot of talk involved...

and lots of cash $$$ from what i gather.
regards
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links