The Internal Martial Arts of the Back

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Internal Martial Arts of the Back

Postby littlepanda on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:20 pm

littlepanda
Anjing

Re: The Internal Martial Arts of the Back

Postby cloudz on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:57 pm

he's cool huh
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby aamc on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:28 pm

But isn't it really the martial arts of the back and front? Turning forward required the engagement of the front line and turn back requires the engagement of the back line. When we say connect are we really connecting or just co-ordinating muscles to move at the same time?
aamc
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm

IMO, one of the simplest ways to tell if someone has good kung-fu is to look at the curvature of the lower back and position of the tailbone when they move.

In his case, I'd say his upper and lower bodies are often disconnected.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:50 am

aamc wrote:But isn't it really the martial arts of the back and front? Turning forward required the engagement of the front line and turn back requires the engagement of the back line. When we say connect are we really connecting or just co-ordinating muscles to move at the same time?

The natural thing, I guess, is to use the front. It takes some time to develop awareness to move from the legs and from the back. I myself would rather speak about coordinating the whole body from the center, but the back can be tricky and mostly needs some special attention to become “awakened”. And even if you work with the back, you still need to coordinate from the center and have an active stance work.

C.J.W. wrote:IMO, one of the simplest ways to tell if someone has good kung-fu is to look at the curvature of the lower back and position of the tailbone when they move.

In his case, I'd say his upper and lower bodies are often disconnected.

Agreed.

A “6 harmony” coordination should always be there, naturally and unforced. Imho
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:45 pm

I watched about 1/2 of the vid...then when he started playing in the dirt, i stopped.

I don't normally down talk people unless they put themselves out there and also provide (what I think) is ample reason to.

That being said, in the beginning he's describing allot about what he called external movements with the spear. I disagree.

1) perhaps it's just me or that my idea about what the basics and fundamentals for kung fu and spear in general are different than his.
- Hes not holding the spear correctly, the basic is off...i don't even want to write it all down but he would get disarmed holding the spear like he is.
- because his basic is OFF, his understanding of how to use the entire body, front back, up down is off. No wonder he thinks of them differently.

2) Good kung fu is internal AND external...and in the spears case it's very obvious.
- the way I learned was to use the whole body while doing the basic...which in various forms or schools is very similar, Namely:

a, from ready position holding spear (left hand forward & right hand holding the back end for ex)
b, lift up... can be small - subtle or much larger movement.
c, knock to the side and lower
d, counter circle press down, on top
e, pierce outward like a thin thread shooting

- In CMA you keep longer weapons close to the body.
- the rear hand presses and keeps the spear close to the dan tien. That can become a fulcrum.
- you can keep your feet still and do the basics or utilize the footwork...but either way, you will see open and close of the body.

If a person has learned proper cma basics...it isn't a hard concept...just hard work.
Subitai
Huajing

Return to Video Links