Chong Xie Trains Zhang Weili: Fascia, Silk Reel & Whole Powa

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chong Xie Trains Zhang Weili: Fascia, Silk Reel & Whole Powa

Postby marvin8 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 am

Chong Xie 谢翀
Jan 10, 2020

English Subtitle Available, click on CC on the bottom

Zhang Weili TKO 42 seconds against Jessica Andrade and became the first Asian ever to capture UFC World Champion belt. Chong Xie joined the training team 3 months prior as a movement coach and fascia conditioning coach. the main goal was to reduce foot related injuries and increase holistic power and accuracy through Hyperarch Fascia Training. Currently, Coach Chong Xie actively trains Zhang Weili and planning on defending the title against Joanna Jedrzejczyk:

@ 2:42,
Xie and Weili wrote:The method of Hyperarch Fascia Tensioning. This way of training. This is also bringing out the core principle of Taiji. “Silk reeling" power, as well as fascial power. If you look at the microscopic view of fascia, what does it look like? It’s like a web. It's like like what’s described of Silk Reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykk3mLrNnaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9jzFo5xlW8

https://www.secret-of-athleticism.com/:

About the Author

Chong Xie practiced Wushu as a child in Beijing Sport University, is an avid researcher and student of Tai Chi, he has a bachelor degree of science from Binghamton University. With his ebook "Secret of Athleticism" Chong Xie makes an honest endeavor to help all of us understand and discover a path to superior athletic performance without the expense of injury.

SCMP Style
Jan 17, 2020

Bruce Lee fan Zhang Weili was a 'glorious failure' in martial arts – how did she become China's first UFC champion?

After losing her first professional MMA fight, China’s Zhang Weili used her fear of failure to win every bout since – defeating top-ranked Jéssica Andrade to claim the UFC Women's Strawweight Championship title in just 42 seconds

Find out more: http://bit.ly/2TzjVJA

Bruce Lee fan Zhang Weili becomes China’s first UFC champion – and shows her martial arts devotion on Instagram

Chinese traditions, cuisine and kung fu rank highly in the fighter’s hobbies and interests – as does a robust workout routine

Find out more: http://bit.ly/2uZcT6L

In collaboration with Mu Shin Martial Culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV7aos7SbOk
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Chong Xie Trains Zhang Weili: Fascia, Silk Reel & Whole Powa

Postby Overlord on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:33 pm

So... where is the fascia things again?
In Chinese words I believe the fascia training is called 骨肉分離
Muscle sheets are like tent and bone is like tent poles. And bones can move with greater freedom within muscle/tendon/ connective tissue layers.

All I see in the clip is she seems bulk up...
Overlord

Postby windwalker on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:16 pm

:-\
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Overlord wrote:So... where is the fascia things again?
In Chinese words I believe the fascia training is called 骨肉分離
Muscle sheets are like tent and bone is like tent poles. And bones can move with greater freedom within muscle/tendon/ connective tissue layers.

All I see in the clip is she seems bulk up...

“Separate muscle and bone”? tendon connects bone to muscle.
And
“Tendon changing” is maybe about ... tendons?

Fascia is something that enters discussion in Western culture much later.

AFAIK there wasn’t some roughly corresponding term from a TMA, neigong, or CMA POV. It seems like people always want to conflate things, not that it isn’t interesting or maybe offers a different perspective

Hearing Zhang talk about it a little is interesting
Last edited by everything on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm

The south china morning post did an edit of my interview with zhang, as you see in the video above.

If you guys want to watch the whole interveiw, here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be8c7_fSOG0

Funnily, directly after I finished my interview with zhang weili, she immediately wanted to look at my feet to see how my xingyi and bagua training has developed them. It was weird but I showed her, and she loves my feet! :P
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:37 pm

What did she say? Cool!

From her first comments when she is working on her arches, she seems so humble.

I surfed that coach channel and his main idea really is to connect the arch to the glutes. This is not “IMA” but it’s interesting to me especially after I looked at (probably more sophisticated) ballet feet exercises that also seem to do similar work on the feet that translates to other leg power and moves.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:13 am

Funnily, directly after I finished my interview with zhang weili, she immediately wanted to look at my feet to see how my xingyi and bagua training has developed them. It was weird but I showed her, and she loves my feet! :P

Great to see this. Some modern trainers are extremely interested and focused on the development of the feet. This is one of the main focus' of Nick Cursons 'Speed or sport' training. Which hails from the Marinovich system. But more and more trainers are focusing on the feet for high level performance in a number of fields.

I have foot speed training in my 'ElasticBody' section. Its super important for Agility

Thanks for the videos.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:55 am

Facia of course serve as an important part as all other parts in ones body and ones performance.
That facia importance is a new thing and mainly an western thing of importance, I doubt.
At least here in China when eating beef then especially the chunks with the facia still clinging on are preferred. This is very noticeable here in the city I live that’s famous for its beef-(noodle)soup.
I’ve heard that the facia is an important Qi conductor in our bodies ...

One thing I noticed when I after many years “completely” left the Karate (and Aikido) Dojos and started fully focus on Chinese martial arts(shoes on) was after some time how my feet got “weaker”.
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 am

Fascia it is 8-)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:15 am

Zhang Weili is great, and I'm all for exercising the feet, but I wonder how much of this being connected to Tai Chi is Chinese soft political power? Tai Chi is the ultimate in soft power - linking anything to ancient practices plays well for the government. In a country where fake Tai Chi masters are presented on TV regularly demonstrating martial skills on their minions you've got to wonder.

Also, I don't think the connection he's making between the web-like structures of fascia and the structure of the silk worm coccoon is the right one. Silk reeling is a movement, that goes in circles and spirals, not a web. When CXW was asked why the movements of silk reeling are called silk reeling he turned his finger in a spiral/circle, indicating he movements of the silk worm as it shoots out its web and builds its cocoon, which mimic the movements used in silk reeling exercise.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:19 am

Also, I don't think the connection he's making between the web-like structures of fascia and the structure of the silk worm coccoon is the right one. Silk reeling is a movement, that goes in circles and spirals, not a web. When CXW was asked why the movements of silk reeling are called silk reeling he turned his finger in a spiral/circle, indicating he movements of the silk worm as it shoots out its web and builds its cocoon, which mimic the movements used in silk reeling exercise.

An extremely rare occasion where we agree.. .and well said.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 am

Actually, we agree on most things. The small things we don't agree on are just blown out of all proportion by the medium of the Internet. I just don't like you as a person and the way you contuct yourself. It's entirely personal.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 am

No we don't agree on much of anything.

How i conduct myself ... hilariously ironic. The feeling about you is entirely mutual though.

Now let people get back to their thread.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Return to Video Links