Report from Shanghai

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Report from Shanghai

Postby everything on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm

His great writing makes it easier to imagine and try to understand and feel what people must be going through.

Here's to a new adventure in Russia. За здоровье
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:08 am

Tom wrote:The danger of getting infected would increase a lot. A suspected case could soon turn into a confirmed one - and who knows into what else. The consequences would be dire. Not to mention that your own nice apartment would be visited by strangers and sprayed with god knows what poison.

Wait what? Why would you spray poison on sick people?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:00 am

Good write up. Many cities are closed. My wife’s hometown Kunming as well, the provincial capital of Yunnan. Because many people from Wuhan wanted to travel around the Chinese New Year and did so despite warnings, prohibitions and lock down. They’ve already bought tickets or wanted go home to see their families. That was more important for them than what the government told them to do or if they spread the virus. We had plans to spend the Chinese New Year there. Thankfully we didn’t.

Hysteria is big this year.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 am

I’m still in China. Huainan where I live is in Anhui Province neighboring Hubei with Wuhan.
On Tuesday my neighborhood was sat in what might be called an ‘semi quarantine’, which also happened around all the city. Only one person/household allowed to leave at a time, no restriction on how many times per day.
This action was planned to last for twelve days. I guess if no cases had been reported till then the area would have been seen as “non infected”

Early on in the week it was quite nice spring weather here, people where out in the compound area playing badminton, kids playing at the basketball court, and some kids “playing” with soft air guns(I think they are called?) , which seemed to be the most threatening thing in the neighborhood at the time.

But on Wednesday two cases of the infection in a family where confirmed in the neighboring compound area. The building was immediately sat under quarantine, only medical staff allowed to enter/exit it.
This also resulted that the few stores in the neighborhood that still where open for businesses had to close down.
But no further restrictions where made.

Then just a couple of hours ago my wife got informed by a friend a third case as been confirmed in the same compound as the previous two but in another building.
And by this, the restrictions of movement here is pushed up to the same as Jarek reported, only one person/household can leave the compound only once every two day.
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:26 am

I had to return early from a trip to Thailand due to lung infection caused by burning season. While a disappointing end to an otherwise great trip, I'm happy it happened.

If the transmission vector for this is in fact fecal-oral as some groups are now reporting, it will spread like wildfire throughout most of Asia. I feel I got out of the region just in time.

I wish Jarek, and his family, the best. Relocating on short notice is tough.
Last edited by Peacedog on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:05 am

Not at all downplaying this corona virus, it’s serious. But anyway this is on today’s Yahoo headlines - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/the-flu ... 01770.html
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:26 am

.Q. wrote:
Tom wrote:The danger of getting infected would increase a lot. A suspected case could soon turn into a confirmed one - and who knows into what else. The consequences would be dire. Not to mention that your own nice apartment would be visited by strangers and sprayed with god knows what poison.

Wait what? Why would you spray poison on sick people?

For a week now we have people “spraying” some sort of Desinfektion water around every entrances around the compound, twice a day. I think it’s noting dangerous, seem harmless.
On the other hand one month ago now one of the areas stray dogs died after rat poison had been sprinkled in the area.
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:45 am

condolences to all families who've lost people due to the virus

Best wishes for those long term and short term expats who's lives have been affected
some posted here. Hard to leave a places that has come to be home....

having said this some may not realize in the USA

So far, 10,000 people have died and 180,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.Jan 31, 2020

So how does coronavirus compare to the flu?

Deadliness

The severity of an illness can be measured by its case-fatality or death-to-case ratio.

In percentage terms, 0.05% of those who’ve had flu this season in the United States (based on the figures above) have died
from it.

Based on the figures so far around the new coronavirus outbreak, which causes fever and a cough, 2.2% of those with confirmed cases have died.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/01/ ... -symptoms/
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:19 am

Very powerful writing. It goes to show that the reaction can be worse than the disease.

My brother in Vietnam, where there are very few reported cases, messaged me last night and said that his school had been closed for two weeks, and there was talk of closing until March. The staff and teachers (including him) would not be paid. Very stressful times.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:20 am

WuFlu sounds a lot worse than SARS...I was in Shanghai during SARS from like March-May 2003 and it was fairly well-contained.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:07 pm

It is too early to be certain, but preliminary indications are that this coronavirus may NOT be as lethal as SARS was (~4% so far compared with ~10% for SARS). We also do not know the specifics of this virus, but many viruses outside the host fall apart within hours in the natural environment, so I do not know that spraying disinfectants around compounds has much more than a psychological effect.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:32 pm

For a depressing, but relevant, point of reference the Spanish Flu of 1918 killed roughly 3-6% of those infected, however it ultimately infected roughly 1/3rd of the world's population at the time. And that was considered a pandemic.

I think one of the worrying factors of the coronavirus is the potential ease of transmission. Ultimately how many people are infected will drive the end view of what is happening. SARS, for whatever reason, did not appear to infect that many people or simply was more difficult to transmit limiting it's impact.

The general lack of transparency inherent to the Chinese government combined with what appears to the outside world as draconian measures for containment purposes is driving a lot of the current level of concern outside of the Middle Kingdom.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:31 am

this is a bit surreal (as in hey that guy looks familiar)

a guy who was posting his own updates from within wuhan had gone missing--
https://qz.com/1798077/wuhan-virus-chin ... tine-zone/

and then i saw this video on the missing guys youtube-- thought he looked familliar
xu xiaodong ... did a live stream showing he talked to the missing guy's mom and the news is that he has been quarantined...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3Q0o1GGAM
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:34 am

LaoDan wrote:It is too early to be certain, but preliminary indications are that this coronavirus may NOT be as lethal as SARS was (~4% so far compared with ~10% for SARS). We also do not know the specifics of this virus, but many viruses outside the host fall apart within hours in the natural environment, so I do not know that spraying disinfectants around compounds has much more than a psychological effect.

Yes, I’m a little skeptic about the “disinfectant” efficiency they’re spraying. However, when I arrived in China/Beijing just after the SARS thing, i remember they kept on with some “Desinfektion” stuff in the subway cars.

And how about these corona viruses, do they prefer wet or dry environment when out in the open(not found an host yet)?
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:41 am

Trick wrote:
And by this, the restrictions of movement here is pushed up to the same as Jarek reported, only one person/household can leave the compound only once every two day.

This i have to correct, it’s still allowed to go outside the compound on a daily basis, but only one person/household a day
Trick

Next

Return to Off the Topic