Ma Gui Bagua - interview with Master Li Baohua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ma Gui Bagua - interview with Master Li Baohua

Postby lineofintent on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 am

Flying Monk Ep 33

lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Ma Gui Bagua - interview with Master Li Baohua

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanks for the tip and for doing it. I get a sense that this gent must be a very kind and generous teacher. Looking forward to the second part.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks for the kind words Tom )

Yes all these topics and people you mention are coming up in the next episodes, Li really covers a lot of ground.

Putting aside modern revisionists who would debunk anything older than 200 years old as pure myth (whatever that means.....one only has to reference the recent HK academic book debacle to see an example) we can start to listen, really pay attention, to the great wisdom contained in the oral teachings of the old lineages.

Li is basically saying that Damo's teachings of transformation of body/mind underly all original Baguaquan , and once informed most Chinese martial arts, but the deep teachings have been mostly lost leaving a shell of simple exercise sets.

Will post more very soon....thanks to Li Baohua for sharing so much, and to everyone for watching our channel. And to Tom, who is also a jewel, his body honed through long practice into something resembling a whiskey bottle...
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 am

Having said that, someone with great breadth of perspective and depth of training describes specific exercises coming through Ch'an and Zen teaching lines that seem to be consistent with coming from a common source. In the case of that school of Buddhism, the source traditionally attributed would be Damo (Bodhidharma).

Maybe it would be better to say Chan and Daoism. In the Song and Ming dynasties the practices of Buddhist meditation and Daoist neidan were really mixed up. In the Ming dynast mixed versions of practices, both Buddhist and Daoist, were spread all over China. If the origin of Yijinjing is old (which I at least partly doubt) then the origin should be found in one of these periods. In the time of Damo, there were Indian meditation and Daoist Daoyin, but Buddhism and Taoism and their disciplines were kept very much separated. The Yijinjing type of practice clearly has a much more Chinese and Daoist origin than Buddhist.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 am

A+++ for Bao
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:05 am

In this instance I will say this puppet show will have more substance on this subject~
Overlord

Return to Video Links