Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea

Postby wushutiger on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:38 am

Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea - Brothers in Arms
Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea study Yin Style Bagua Zhang under Master Xu Shixi in Beijing, China. They have forged a deep friendship through their love of the martial arts. Here we have a glimpse into their training, their thoughts and that of their Master's as well as we visited during an afternoon of training. The bonds formed are testament to the power of the martial arts to bring people together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ_B67N_FIM
wushutiger
Wuji

Re: Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea

Postby nicklinjm on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Really nice episode Byron, love that you have got both the students' perspectives (Simon & Marc) as well as the teacher's (M Xu), also nice to see that group's focus on two-man drills, keep up the good work!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, the vision I had for the Senki series was exactly that, showing glimpses of the various martial arts practices and most importantly the people involved and what it means and is for them.

I think most times we are far too concerned about showing only our own perspective, but seeing other perspectives makes us grow better in our own practice. Plus there is far too little exposure of genuine CMA in the west, so this is what I am trying to do step by step.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Haha Oh Sh!T.... as soon as I saw that name Marc Mastrandrea!

I know this dude... he used to be in my area (i.e. Southeastern, CT) :) What can i say about him. To me he's one of those guys who always thinks there's something MORE TO IT. Especially if it comes from Chinese.

Last time I saw him was at local World Tai Chi Day in my area. Must have been in 2016 as he mentioned a date in the vid.
He was so damn co-cky. Talking about his training and his fighting in New York. Like he can fight??? He couldn't wait to tell me how "he was going to China to learn the real deal" (not a quote, but essentially his words ) For all his talk about fighting I noticed he didn't try to step up to me. He could study for 100 yrs, i'd still whip him.

I told him...been there done that and to to also watch out for charlatans and people who only give you half truths. Typical white guy who goes to China and is filled with the Kung fu Spirit God. It's a mistake. I also said, post Communist revolution, that there is also allot of good gung fu that left the country. That he didn't need to study in China to learn good CMA.

He even taunted me with a smile of his face...almost dared to see if I would mind that he named his local "medicine / healing shop" = "PO CHI LAM". I said, "it's a free country but why do you ask me? Because i'm Hung Gar and Taiji? It would be your burden to live up to the legend not mine".

I know his type and by the training i'm seeing him do in that video I know what his skill level will be when he leaves. It will still be lacking.

The reason I say these things about him is because of his attitude and persona that he had BEFORE going into China. Also, I'm not saying that you can't Learn Properly in China...you just have to be wary. In a country of over a billion people...it just means that there are many more people that could suck. CMA is a lifelong study and even if the information and skills being offered is good...it doesn't guarantee true understanding and advancement.

I will also cut myself down and say that I don't have all the pieces of gung fu mastery (nobody has ALL THE ANSWERS) myself. But the pieces I do have are damn good.

I hope to see him again...I would love to touch hands with him.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Trick on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 am

typical "white guy" !?
Trick

Postby lineofintent on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 am

hi Wushu Tiger, thanks for your series, always nice to see Beijing

Regards your quote

''' Plus there is far too little exposure of genuine CMA in the west, so this is what I am trying to do step by step.''

With all respect, that is simply not true.

Even on my channel alone we have quite a number of extremely skilled Chinese martial arts lineage holders and fighters (and there must be many others)

In UK - Paul Rogers - brilliant exponent of Yi Quan and Zhang Zao Dong Baguazhang

visiting yearly or more for over a deacde - GM Sam Chin of Zhong Xin Dao

Sifu Gordon Tso, disciple of Song family Xingyiquan and close student of Master Zhao Chuan Hai, divides between HK and UK

Chen Yuen San from Taiwan, renowned Taijiquan fighter

James Carrs Yi Quan Han branch from HK

Mark Houghton, known as one of the greatest Hung Gar fighters in HK, visits UK often to teach

In Europe - Serge Augier, inheritor of Ziranmen from Wan Lai Sheng's close disciple Master Wang, renowned internal fighter

visiting - He Jing Han of Gong Bao Tien Baguaquan , many long periods staying here and UK

For those who want the real arts, they are alive and well, you can find info on these teachers here...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTDeAA ... a1Q/videos

Learning from these men in Europe is available to any sincere students, I have hosted most of them in Cambridge and this is a golden age for those who seek the complete traditional arts.

I am always baffled when people claim the old arts have died out or you have to go to China to learn, of course there are great teachers there but with the men mentioned above you will get the very highest level of teaching .
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Trick wrote:typical "white guy" !?

I don't think you have any offense...do you trick? Wasn't aimed at you, unless you fall into the trap of:

1) cultural appropriation to the point of being sickening. as in a foreigner usually a white dude who tries to be more Chinese than the actual Chinese.
or
2) the dude who always believes that THERE MUST BE SOMETHING MORE!
- this guy is one who you can show 6 ways from Sunday how:
a CMA concept works, it's history and where it came from, how it may have vulnerabilities and how to counter those weaknesses. Most importantly for me, show him how to set it up in a real world sense, not just from a drill or push hands..but how to fight with it.

= After all that...in their Kung fu Movie fantasy minds they say: "i have to go to China because there must be something more, it can't be that simple". Their minds have not learned to let go and accept simplicity... those who been in the game for a long time all come to this conclusion.

In all the posts i've ever read from you Trick...you've never given off that vibe.
=====================================================================
lineofintent,
You said it in your post dude...thumbs up! It's part of what I was getting at i.e., the "post Communist revolution" comment.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 pm

yep kinda f-up but what can you say.....
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi Linofintent, thanks for the comment.

My key point was regarding exposure, not lack of people per se.

There is indeed little exposure of many practitioners in the west, and even less exposure of many teacher and practitioners here in China. There is also a lack of translations of many of these practitioners ideas and feelings in English too. So this is what I was referring to.

I started a podcast as well last year for this reason.

I met Gordon Tso in 2018 when we were both presenting lectures at a martial studies conference in Hong Kong.

wushutiger
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Subitai, I'm not sure what your problem is with Marc, seems like a personal issue that maybe you two should work out amongst yourselves, but I must say I find some of your comments a bit disturbing.

For example, it is indeed possible for a westerner to know more about CMA and its related culture and history than an actual Chinese person. This is very common, as it depends on study, immersion in culture etc. etc. It isn't something that is passed on in a hereditary fashion, and frankly today there are fewer and fewer Chinese people themselves interested in the study of CMA and its related culture.

We should be celebrating the fact that so many non Chinese are indeed passionate enough to delve deep into these things, often leaving the comfort of their homes, moving to a foreign country in a pursuit of this study.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Last edited by wushutiger on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am

Ok wushutiger...im not against you trying to do a good job like promote CMA.

About Marc, nothing to work out. I read a post and saw his name. I simply told a story about the guy who's name is in the thread title.

Is he a cool dude now...how would i know?

It's been a few years...hes not in my area, outta sight outta mind. But when i saw his name (and in video) i can still remember the guy who came up to me.

People need to relax, aren't we all martial artists?

I'll try to touch hands with anyone whos willing. It doesnt mean im out to make enemies.

See..mma guys can spar and roll with each other and still go have a beer. Test eachother out. I believe it should be the same with CMA.

========================

Other topic...i guess we all have our own opinions as to the state of CMA in and out of country.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:10 am

Subitai wrote:

I don't think you have any offense...do you trick?

No, no personal offense, just thought it sounded strange there in the middle of your writing
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 am

Subitai wrote:
in their Kung fu Movie fantasy minds they say: "i have to go to China because there must be something more, it can't be that simple". Their minds have not learned to let go and accept simplicity... those who been in the game for a long time all come to this conclusion.

In all the posts i've ever read from you Trick...you've never given off that vibe. .

For me China has been a positive eye opener

I’m a Swede. For me it just happened that I didn’t find any real further instruction there in Sweden, at least not from the teachers I came in contact with, I just knew THERE HAD TO BE MORE, and for me there was indeed.
And so it was not until I moved to China doors opened quickly for me ....yep “good stuff” here, and also I found among my Chinese teachers no game of high horses, what a relief feeling that was...But this is my personal experience.
However I’m sure there’s the good stuff outside the borders of China too, but I didn’t find that in my neighborhood.
Oh, heck yes, i love Kungfu movies, who doesn’t on this forum??......But KF movies was not my initial inspiration. No VHS around when I was a kid, as it might have been for you.
No, my “hero” was Shang Chi, had a poster of him on the wall -“No man can stand against the deadly hands of KungFu” was the text on it...see, I still remember that, what an inspiration that was(although the deadly thing I’ve left, other do that so much better 8-) )wish i still had that poster, would still look cool on the wall.
And also back then there was a real Japanese Sword in my vicinity that inspired me immensely too, just the mere beauty of it, wow.....
Then about ten years later for me, Jackie and Chuck came around....your first heros ?.......I tell you what, Shang Chi would toy with those guys, but that doesn’t say they’re bad, I like them too....Cowabunga 8-)
Trick

Next

Return to Video Links