Fasting (tips and benefits?)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Fasting (tips and benefits?)

Postby edededed on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 am

Hi all,

Just pulling out this topic from BTDT.

Looking for tips and anecdotes about benefits for fasting. How has it benefited you, how did you do it (safely), etc....

Many thanks in advance!
edededed
Great Old One

Re: Fasting (tips and benefits?)

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:43 pm

Works like a miracle for me, due to health problems can only train seated and fatigue easily, had put on considerable weight and just couldn’t lose it. Am vegetarian and went fasting 18/6 and ketogenic, lost 4 stone and can now control my weight easily not feeling unnatural hunger and more energy.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 pm

Upside is it works. And frequently works where nothing else does. Historically used to control any number of health issues technology couldn’t. Modern research is starting to support this as well. One of two proven longevity technologies. The other being daily application of direct moxa.

Downside, it appears to down regulate mitochondrial activity/basal metabolism in such a way that once you do this, you are basically stuck with it. The body becomes hyper efficient with regards to food intake. Getting fat again afterwards is very easy without a significant reduction in caloric intake over the long term.

Advice: make sure to get plenty of extra salts while fasting. Particularly potassium and magnesium. Be intelligent and work your way up. Start with 48s and 72s. For those with decent body composition a quarterly 72 hour fast seems to be sufficient.

Don’t do dry fasting until you’ve exhausted the benefits of water fasting.And be very careful if you do.

Check out the “snake diet” by Cole Robinson on youtube. His results with the grossly obese are nothing short of miraculous if not controversial. With adaptation, people are basically eating three times per week while lifting weights and doing cardio.
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby oldEurope on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 am

Check out the “snake diet” by Cole Robinson on youtube. His results with the grossly obese are nothing short of miraculous if not controversial. With adaptation, people are basically eating three times per week while lifting weights and doing cardio

Thanks for the tip, just checked him out on youtube. That guy´s hillariously intense & seems to really help a lot of people.

Here´s a good short clip:

oldEurope
Santi

Postby Peacedog on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:32 am

I like Cole too. Nutritionists and the conventional medical establishment hates him. He went on a show called “the Doctors” in the US and it was a total hit piece.

I’m not saying his approach is healthy over the long term either.

What I am saying is he has managed to help people that the conventional medical establishment have completely failed. And in the case of the severely obese they will die much sooner without his intervention. The perfect is the enemy of the good and rarely is this more on display than with medicine.
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm

I don’t really have weight problems in the usual sense, being tall and slim. Between the ages of 40 to 45 my average weight rose from about 78 kilos to 80 kilos and has stayed there ever since (I’m now 57). If I move/train very little (that’s happened very occasionally for specific reasons) for a week or so then I start to put on some more fat around the waist/belly but otherwise no change. Just lucky genetics here, no great virtue.

BUT: I noticed over the last couple of years that due to some metabolic change my old eating habits no longer fitted. I used to be able to shovel down any quantities of food and I stayed just the same. I was (in)famous for it! Then over the last year or two, increasingly, I often started feeling bloated after ‘normal’ meals, also often a bit more sluggish, less energy, diffuse feelings of discomfort in the abdomen or even some pains. Sometimes I felt no desire for a scheduled meal with others, or could take no pleasure in it, because my body was kinda saying ‘no, don’t want it’. A few months ago I began with ‘intermittent fasting’ on the 16/8 hours model and my general sense of well-being has improved clearly. On most days (but by no means all, it depends on circumstances) I now skip breakfast, just drink plenty of hot water in the morning, also train quite a lot when I have the time, and eat my first meal sometime between 11am and 1pm. Then final calories around 8pm or 9pm. So I have a roughly 16 hour period (which can slide back and forth a little) when I intake no calories and a roughly 8 hour period when I eat normally, also large portions and sometimes snacks in between. I feel clearer, more comfortable and the craving for food pre-noon has pretty much vanished. Also I find my weight is still remaining pretty stable, or is maybe back down to 79 kilos, while my waistline is a little slimmer again.

Some days I eat three normal meals through the day but unless I’m excercising more intensely on these days, or hiking or similar, then I soon feel that it isn’t really good for me any more.

I’d be interested in trying fasting for longer periods, but shared cooking and eating is an important part of our family life right now, which enjoys high priority as well.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Giles look at doing a 72 hour fast once a quarter. Some research indicates pretty profound effects just from that on otherwise healthy people.

You’d get something out of it and it shouldn’t be too disruptive to any family routines. Note, I’m recommending a water fast here.

If you want a pharmaceutical approach, look at off label applications of rapamycin, metformin and telmisartin. I wouldn’t use any of those unless you are done having kids though. Telmisartin, in particular, seems to interfere with adipogenesis and increase endurance. It’s also used as a PED by cyclists for this reason. To be clear, I’m not recommending their use. These three drugs keep coming up in anti-aging research. Particularly in the realm of what can only be called “metabolic rehabilitation.”
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 am

Peacedog wrote:Giles look at doing a 72 hour fast once a quarter. Some research indicates pretty profound effects just from that on otherwise healthy people.

You’d get something out of it and it shouldn’t be too disruptive to any family routines. Note, I’m recommending a water fast here.

Peacedog,
Good idea, a 72-hour fast would be an interesting experience, both in itself and as regards results. And with a little planning I'm sure I can find a good time slot for it. :)

Thanks for the other info on pharmaceuticals but I steer well clear of that kind of stuff. Training, fresh air, eating enough healthy foods and not too much junk, no tobacco and almost zero alcohol, giving and receiving craniosacral bodywork and massages, working on my own mental/emotional landscape, my family - doing enough positives in these areas is sufficient both as a challenge and for results. Frankly I'd be scared to start taking any of these pharma items. Maybe they do have positive effects, maybe even dramatic ones, but for me the risk of it later turning out sour is too great. There's always the possibility: "No, folks, don't take xx after all, latest research now shows that .... !" But that's just me.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Interesting video.

As an already fit guy, Cole ate nothing but McDonalds for 30 days and it had no effect on either body composition, or bloodwork, as long as he ate only one meal per day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U6umfRzbVDY
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for lots of great information.

A McDonalds fast sounds like something I could do ;D (as long as super-sizing is okay)

For longer fasts (e.g. 72 hours) is it okay to just go back to normal eating after that? And during - we should be drinking water, teas, maybe some salt as well? (Curious about what we have to do to stay safe.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Dr. Rhonda Patrick seems to be a good source on various kinds of fasting. Here, she talks about a form of IM. We are doing 8/16 here and losing a bit over ten lbs per month. No suffering, just some minor changes to habits.

文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:54 pm

I like Rhonda Patrick.

For a metabolism research centric podcast check out Dr. Peter Attia’s podcast called “The Drive.” It is very research based and gets into a lot of cutting edge science.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Dr. Rhonda Patrick seems to be a good source on various kinds of fasting. Here, she talks about a form of IM. We are doing 8/16 here and losing a bit over ten lbs per month. No suffering, just some minor changes to habits.

Yes, very interesting, and also encouraging for me to stay on the same track. Good to know that you can be more 'whatever' 2 days in the week and not lose the benefits.
Hot water is a thing! :D In my earlier years, growing up with a typically unhealthy diet in the UK in the 60s, 70s and 80s, I would never have dreamed of drinking just hot water and would probably have gagged if you gave it to me. The change came when I was training in Malaysia in the late 90s and Nigel Sutton was kind enough to let me stay in his extended-family house for a while. It was fairly traditional there and usually the only thing available to drink after training was water that had been boiled to make it safe and was still pretty warm/hot. So in lieu of collapsing from dehydration I started drinking copious amounts of very warm water. And by the time I got back to Germany, I'd grown to love it. And still do, as long as it doesn't taste too much of chlorine or other funny stuff. Later I also heard that it's a good thing according to TCM as well, so now it dovetails perfectly with the new fasting habit.
Last edited by Giles on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi Giles,

From my still limited experience, you must have to be eating really well for the two days off thing. I noticed if I am not careful, I can gain back a lot of weight pigging out over a weekend. Of course, we eat pretty damn well around here, which makes sticking to 8-10 hours much easier.

We filter our own water and have a carbonator so bubbly water for us, which is a bit more enjoyable than hot water for me.

What Dr. Patrick says about no metabolizing substances (tea, coffee, etc) is pretty interesting. I've read that a bit is okay for weightloss, but you lose some of the other benefits. It is hard for me to skip the morning cup of joe or esspresso.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:46 am

From what I've seen one day a week off doesn't seem to set people back no matter what they do.

Two days a week, as Ian mentioned, tends to be a little too much unless they are careful with it.

FWIW, I've met several people who do one meal per day (OMD) and they all reported it didn't matter what they ate. Their only caveat was that if you ate a lot of processed sugar during that meal that it made it very difficult to make it the full 24 hours without eating again.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic