Karate Nerd in China (Ep. 1)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Karate Nerd in China (Ep. 1)

Postby Franklin on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm

chenyaolong wrote:In answer to your question, he learnt a superficial run-through of Crying Crane's first form and Incense Shop Boxing's first form. Enough time to get the moves down, but no more.

just saw his episode on the incense shop boxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1p5lnZqB_4

the incense shop boxing teacher has some skills...
it was interesting

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 am

Master Lin was a great character! Really fun to spend time with
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Trick wrote:I’m pretty sure that the Karate Nerd have no intention to go in any depth to become an CMA practitioner and later on claim mastery of it, he is most certainly very comfortable in his Karate and just making light hearted with a splash of seriousness videos..So no one need to worry.

Jesse talks about his discoveries in China.

At 13:39,
Jesse Enkamp wrote:I want to learn more about the styles of kung fu that help my Karate. This is why I learn many different kinds of martial arts in my travels. Not because I want to learn those martial arts, but because I want to improve my own martial art. …

Jesse Enkamp
Feb 15, 2020

Bunkai is the practical application of kata. It’s the essence of traditional Okinawan Karate (唐手) but widely misunderstood.

In this video, Jesse Enkamp (The Karate Nerd) explains his Chinese Kung Fu discovery from exploring the roots of Tode in Fujian, China.

The key to bunkai is language, and modern Japanese terminology might be our greatest obstacle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HNEBaJv3PA&t=13m39s
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:51 am

marvin8 wrote:
Trick wrote:I’m pretty sure that the Karate Nerd have no intention to go in any depth to become an CMA practitioner and later on claim mastery of it, he is most certainly very comfortable in his Karate and just making light hearted with a splash of seriousness videos..So no one need to worry.

Jesse talks about his discoveries in China.

At 13:39,
Jesse Enkamp wrote:I want to learn more about the styles of kung fu that help my Karate. This is why I learn many different kinds of martial arts in my travels. Not because I want to learn those martial arts, but because I want to improve my own martial art. …

Jesse Enkamp
Feb 15, 2020

Bunkai is the practical application of kata. It’s the essence of traditional Okinawan Karate (唐手) but widely misunderstood.

In this video, Jesse Enkamp (The Karate Nerd) explains his Chinese Kung Fu discovery from exploring the roots of Tode in Fujian, China.

The key to bunkai is language, and modern Japanese terminology might be our greatest obstacle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HNEBaJv3PA&t=13m39s

He’s following in Patric McCarthy’s footsteps. Not surprisingly since he has regular contact with him. But back when Patric MacCarthy was pioneering Karate history research, there where no internet.
The Karate Nerd was born into Karate. His father was one of the pioneers of Okinawan Karate in Sweden and perhaps Europe. J.Enkamp has lived in Okinawa and from early age several time visited with his father to study there.

Now I don’t remember his fathers name, but Enkamp it was not I think.
Maybe the name is taken. In English Enkamp would translate as - ‘one fight’

Anyway, if he was to do a ‘deeper’ research on karate’s Chinese roots I think he could pull that off, but he seem to be content with the lighter side of it. Maybe that’s just for his videos and saving the more serious stuff for a later and bigger work.?
Trick

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm

To expand on what I said in that segment of Jesse's video, my feeling is that in the west we tend to get overly analytical and mechanical in our approach to understanding our martial art. I think this is a combination of the western cultural mindset and the very structured approach that modern JMA takes to things... after all, the majority of people are first exposed to JMA in the west and it's pretty much the standard for how martial arts are viewed as a whole.

Whereas, the Chinese approach, and you can see this in many things such as calligraphy, painting, music... hell even the Chinese traditional school system.... is much more organic. Rather than having lots of explanation and breakdowns, you are made to memorise or repeat rote tasks. Over time as it really sinks in, you will have these "aha" moments where a lightbulb goes off and you have a realisation about the purpose or meaning of a certain thing.

My friend Josh Viney, who run the channel Shaolin Yuzhai, often uses an analogy I like. He says that forms or drills are teaching the body. The body doesn't understand words in the way your brain does, so you need to tell it what to do by teaching it movement patterns that contain the principles of the system.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 am

Did you see the diagonal foot placement with corresponding waist rotation within the movements!
The roots of karate and 'kungfu" intersect in Okinawa and there are quite a few bridge systems (e.g. Crane 'styles') that are the same in South China and Okinawa showing origin and symbiotic semblance/progression of development and application.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby aamc on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:59 pm

My friend Josh Viney, who run the channel Shaolin Yuzhai, often uses an analogy I like. He says that forms or drills are teaching the body. The body doesn't understand words in the way your brain does, so you need to tell it what to do by teaching it movement patterns that contain the principles of the system.

The irony of this metaphor, is that this is exactly how your mind interprets language. You can infer meaning without all the in a sentence
aamc
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 pm

aamc wrote:

The irony of this metaphor, is that this is exactly how your mind interprets language. You can infer meaning without all the in a sentence

Sort of. It's a different thing to supply meaning based on context than it would be if you never knew what the word was to begin with, or if there were few enough words that the context became ambiguous.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links