Combine punch when you run (or walk)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Combine punch when you run (or walk)

Postby johnwang on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 pm

I like to run (or walk). When I run (or walk), I like to do some punching drill. One of my favor drill is "right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook". I'll do in the following way.

- Coordinate foot landing with my punch.
- Take 4 steps break between each 4 punches reps.
- Take 30 steps break after 60 reps.
- Finish 5 x 60 reps = 300 reps = 300 x 4 = 1,200 punches.

I can finish one circle between 20 - 30 minutes. If I run fast, I can train fast punch. If I run slow, I can train slow punch. I'll feel great after 1,200 punches. IMO, this is an excellent solo training to mix in with your daily running (or walking).

Your thought?
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Combine punch when you run (or walk)

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 am

The chairman of the big budo/boxing/wrestling club where I trained Karate was not a Kata(forms) guy. Sometimes he was teaching classes, and his style was run forward while his two arms as pistons striking, he was called ‘the locomotive’, we where all as locomotives in his classes.
Trick

Postby yeniseri on Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:57 am

Makes sense to keep the musculature strong and the muscle memory actually (neurosensory circuits) readuy for the upcoming tasks and it assists with generalized muscle stiffness, sedentary habots, etc over time.
I no longer do TKD but the hand/eye coordination of punck, kick, etc all work together with na, shuai, lian, etc with opponent contact!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am

yeniseri wrote:Makes sense to keep the musculature strong and the muscle memory actually (neurosensory circuits) readuy for the upcoming tasks and it assists with generalized muscle stiffness, sedentary habots, etc over time.
I no longer do TKD but the hand/eye coordination of punck, kick, etc all work together with na, shuai, lian, etc with opponent contact!

I can do almost anything that I want to.

- Taiji "cloud hand",
- Taiji "Beng, Lu, Ji, An",
- Taiji "turn around hammer, fetching arm",
- preying mantis "Go, Lou, Cai",
- long fist "hook punch, back fist, uppercut",
- Tingbei "arm swing",
- XingYi "Pi Chuan",
- SC "diagonal strike",

as long as each move can be coordinated with foot landing.

I also like to do a foot sweep for every 4 steps that I make. IMO, the 1,000 punches (or 1,000 foot sweep) is a good endurance test (not sure 1,000 kicks non-stop is good for the knee joint).
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:40 pm

johnwang wrote:I like to run (or walk). When I run (or walk), I like to do some punching drill. One of my favor drill is "right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook". I'll do in the following way.

- Coordinate foot landing with my punch.
- Take 4 steps break between each 4 punches reps.
- Take 30 steps break after 60 reps.
- Finish 5 x 60 reps = 300 reps = 300 x 4 = 1,200 punches.

I can finish one circle between 20 - 30 minutes. If I run fast, I can train fast punch. If I run slow, I can train slow punch. I'll feel great after 1,200 punches. IMO, this is an excellent solo training to mix in with your daily running (or walking).

Your thought?

I mean this as a compliment John.... "Dude you're the friggin' Energizer Bunny"!!!!

Cheers bro!
Subitai
Huajing

Postby everything on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 pm

If I had this much focus, concentration, discipline, patience, I would try this:

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:19 pm

JW I've never tried your running drill but I'm sure it will attract a lot of interest. Have you tried it on a treadmill?

I prefer shadow combos that include cover, checks, kicks, 8 directions movement, takedown counters etc. Lots more variance.

I also do endurance sets of 1000 strikes in a block but your running set might be better for developing cardio.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 pm

dspyrido wrote:JW I've never tried your running drill but I'm sure it will attract a lot of interest. Have you tried it on a treadmill?

I prefer shadow combos that include cover, checks, kicks, 8 directions movement, takedown counters etc. Lots more variance.

I also do endurance sets of 1000 strikes in a block but your running set might be better for developing cardio.

I don't go to gym to "work out" any more. I like to combine work out and enjoy life together. When I walked on the sand beach, any work out can be part of my life enjoyment.

I don't have motivation to repeat a 50 moves form 20 times non-stop (50 x 20 = 1,000). But I don't mind to drill a 5 moves combo 200 times (5 x 200 = 1,000). Also I like to drill in normal speed. I don't like to drill in slow speed.

Normal speed remind me young, strong, and healthy. Slow speed remind me old, weak, and sick.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:33 pm

A friend of mine visited me yesterday. We talked about single balance solo drill can be good for old people. My friend said that most old people may even have difficult to stand on both legs. I then realized that to maintain certain ability is different from to develop a new ability that one never had before.

Here are examples of single leg balance drills:

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm

In Tongbei fist, there are many arm throwing drills as you walk or with moving steps.

Sort of practicing arm movement and stepping methods at the same time.

Such as stepping to the left, stepping to the right then forward.

There are many stepping drills around poles.

Running would be run as fast you can. Sort of run away from the fight.

;)
SPJ
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan