1/2 leg and 1/2 hand technique

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

1/2 leg and 1/2 hand technique

Postby johnwang on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:17 pm

When you apply a technique, you will have 3 options:

You may use your:

1. hand -You may have to drop down low and expose your head (more risky).
2. leg - You may end with single leg balance (poor balance)
3. 1/2 leg and 1/2 hand - You have to deal with the switching between leg and hand (more complicate).

Which method do you prefer?

Example of 1/2 leg and 1/2 hand technique.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: 1/2 leg and 1/2 hand technique

Postby yeniseri on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:53 pm

One cannot have 2 yin or 2 yang limbs (hands, legs, elbow, or knee). If the hand didn't work with the unbalancing of the upper body (neck/shoulder) then lower body (knee, leg left and or combination) will do the trick! Depends on which body part is stronger or weaker!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Maybe i have not trained it enough but I find it hard to leg lift front on with a leg if they are planted. Even worse if they move around.

I like:

Mess with balance through the arms to create a gap
Either control arms &/OR move to head
Control the head -> control the body
Move to side on position

Now it's easier to sweep, lift leg with leg, single leg, ankle or knee pick, pin arms with a waist grab etc.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm

dspyrido wrote:I find it hard to leg lift front on with a leg if they are planted. Even worse if they move around.

The set up can be as simple as to force your opponent to step back so you can borrow his backward momentum. If your opponent moves around and remains distance from you, there will be no technique that will work on him.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:38 pm

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:I find it hard to leg lift front on with a leg if they are planted. Even worse if they move around.

The set up can be as simple as to force your opponent to step back so you can borrow his backward momentum. If your opponent moves around and remains distance from you, there will be no technique that will work on him.

Shooting for the legs to cover distance works reasonably well to catch someone moving around. They can't use touch to react.

Offbalancing them through the arms so they lift onto the rear leg but they don't step back? Perhaps it's my entry method but it doesn't seem to happen often for me. If someone feels their arms are being pulled around then they usually make space. Maybe i just need to practise more.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:06 pm

dspyrido wrote:Shooting for the legs to cover distance works reasonably well to catch someone moving around. They can't use touch to react.

I don't like to shoot in from a distance.

- One day I shot at David C. K. Lin's leading leg, His right palm chopped on the back of my neck and took me down.
- During the final match of the 1983 Ohio SC tournament, my opponent shot at my leg twice, I pressed on his neck and took him down in both matches within 7 seconds.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby aamc on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm

FWIW, here are my experiences. Front leg lifts are only effortless when the person you're applying on it has shifted their weight to the back leg. There are few tricks to this here are some I've got to work:

1. Head control, as in the image. Get the person to move their head over their rear - foot. Lots of ways to do this; You can blast in and take the head, you can move to get neck control and work from there. You can do it where you pull the neck towards you and as they react, you press forward.
2. The are other tricks with the sweep. You can use a knee bump to destabilise the leg in the horizontal plane before applying the sweep. You can kick right to the centre of the supporting foot at the arch which tends to be the part of the foot with the least contract with floor.
3. The other trick I've used, is to bridge, hold in the clinch and then walk the opponent backwards and forwards around for a bit, establishing a rhythm. Once I've established a rhythm, I time the sweep to coincide with me walking them back.
aamc
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm

When you push your opponent's neck back and try to force him to lift up his leading leg, if you detect his resistance, you can borrow his resistance, pull his neck forward, and lift up his back leg instead.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:05 pm

johnwang wrote:I don't like to shoot in from a distance.

1/2 hand & 1/2 shoot? Good shoots usually come below the knee making head control more difficult.

1/2 & 1/2 arm/leg combos is a good bridging method. If they are side on them it is much easier to sweep and pull. Front just seems to not be as easy to pull off but it creates lots of other opportunities.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan