Ming He Quan (crying/calling/whooping crane)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ming He Quan (crying/calling/whooping crane)

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:03 pm

GrahamB wrote:Just to interject, there's a strong hermit tradition in China, on sacred mountains. This documentary from Bill Porter (Redpine) takes a look at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqaI_Py_zc

Thats awesome, had never seen it. Amongst White Clouds is one documentary I really love

chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 am

chenyaolong wrote:
taiwandeutscher wrote:
chenyaolong wrote:Zheng was probably the most conservative, he didn't wanna show much.... which is understandable as we were only there for like half an hour. I've been talking to his student from Moldova, and he said Zheng takes a very long time to warm up to people.... .

Not surprised here! There are numerous very secretive Crane groups down in southern Taiwan. They don't show or tell much in front of outsiders, and they ask horrendous amounts of tuition money, even from their brethren and fellow Taiwanese.

There's a few very interesting styles I came across some clips of from Taiwan when I was looking for more stuff on Fujian styles. They seem to take two combinations of styles like 太祖化鹤, 罗汉化鹤 etc. Would love to check them out... but like you say, probably not gonna be easy.

On a similar note, a lot of people keep saying Malaysia is a good place to go for Hokkien and Hakka arts, but I haven't seen much particularly impressive online. I tried and failed to get in touch with Eric Ling. People keep pointing me to I Liq Quan, but it's not really in line with the theme of my channel.

If it's taizu crane 太祖化鹤 you're looking for then you should contact my teacher Huang laoshi in Yilan. He's very open about what he teaches, in contrast to the others that taiwandeutscher mentioned. He's also pretty accessible in Yilan and teaches for free.

For calling crane in Taiwan, one of the most open and just a joy to work with teachers is Huang laoshi in Penghu. He's very open, has most of his stuff on Youtube,will let you feel his body, etc. The only problem is he's in Penghu,which is totally worth a visit, but considering you have to fly there,it isn't very convenient to train with him.

BTW, I wanted to say thanks for doing the series on southern shaolin. The videos were all great, especially the one ones on wuzuquan. People practicing crane arts should get more exposure.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:
chenyaolong wrote:
There's a few very interesting styles I came across some clips of from Taiwan when I was looking for more stuff on Fujian styles. They seem to take two combinations of styles like 太祖化鹤, 罗汉化鹤 etc. Would love to check them out... but like you say, probably not gonna be easy.

On a similar note, a lot of people keep saying Malaysia is a good place to go for Hokkien and Hakka arts, but I haven't seen much particularly impressive online. I tried and failed to get in touch with Eric Ling. People keep pointing me to I Liq Quan, but it's not really in line with the theme of my channel.

If it's taizu crane 太祖化鹤 you're looking for then you should contact my teacher Huang laoshi in Yilan. He's very open about what he teaches, in contrast to the others that taiwandeutscher mentioned. He's also pretty accessible in Yilan and teaches for free.

For calling crane in Taiwan, one of the most open and just a joy to work with teachers is Huang laoshi in Penghu. He's very open, has most of his stuff on Youtube,will let you feel his body, etc. The only problem is he's in Penghu,which is totally worth a visit, but considering you have to fly there,it isn't very convenient to train with him.

BTW, I wanted to say thanks for doing the series on southern shaolin. The videos were all great, especially the one ones on wuzuquan. People practicing crane arts should get more exposure.

Thanks, that would be really awesome! I will keep it in mind and get in touch with you at a later date! Impossible to plan any travel for the next 6 months it seems.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links