Do you still go to your class?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Do you still go to your class?

Postby johnwang on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 pm

I just cancel my class today. I don't know when I will have my next class. Do you still go to your class?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Do you still go to your class?

Postby dspyrido on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Yes for the moment. I know with the incubation period being long enough that you never know but i guess I'm refusing to let go this early.

The tournaments will be stopped. If the grand prix can be stopped and the Olympics might be cancelled then a few local comps shouldn't happen.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:49 pm

We had our get together in the park today but weekday classes have been cancelled.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Tough decision.

I have a training partner and as of now I plan on taking a break.

I don't think it is hysteria. I still go to work everyday and we won't shut down but I wouldn't want to engage in activities where transmission is easy since I have family members with compromised immune systems. For them I am taking a break from meet ups. Seems like a small price to pay to me.

I think this is the new normal. I don't see it as panicking as much as doing what little we can since our government is more concerned about elections than attacking this thing South Korean style.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:51 pm

I don't go and I think you guys do not like it, but "form" class might be good right about now.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Sounds good to me.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:12 pm

also, a friend of mine will try to teach some yoga over video, so I might try the class.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:05 am

now i have for several weeks stayed at home with small walks around in my living area which has lead me to find three guys practicing taiji just outside my balcony at a time in the early afternoon when i usualy not at home.....so i join them just go throu the form ...so the virus thing kind of lead me to a new class........however, just prior the outbreak i had found an calligraphy/ink painting studio in my neighbourhood and began taking classes there...i hope to soon go back to that
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:22 am

in my small group
all understand whats going on,
and make their own choices.

I work with those who come, understanding the concerns
of those who do not, making sure my own health is not
an issue for those that do, during our practice time...
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 am

how close together is everyone and is everyone wearing masks (mainly asking those of you in Asia)?

over here in the USA, it doesn't seem realistic that everyone will wear a mask due to culture, available supply, etc. I know it's not foolproof protection, but it does seem that if EVERYONE has one, the risk of random people coughing or sneezing on other random people goes down.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:11 am

everything wrote:how close together is everyone and is everyone wearing masks (mainly asking those of you in Asia)?

over here in the USA, it doesn't seem realistic that everyone will wear a mask due to culture, available supply, etc. I know it's not foolproof protection, but it does seem that if EVERYONE has one, the risk of random people coughing or sneezing on other random people goes down.

as for the small group i joined in the neighbourhood we have plenty of space for the four of us, but when we talk to each other its normal non virus distance with face mask still on. however now when i go through the form i take of the mask which i wanted to do before too but 'out of respect' to other that keept their on i also kept my on. but now since the whole province declared virus free more has dropped the mask.........the old guys sitting by the corner playing chess and card are also back in bussiness, funny to see how many of them have pulled down their masks under the chin so they can managetheir chain smoking
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:58 am

As long as the White House has no idea how to respond and or the rates are increasing I would just take a 2 week break. If we were in Taiwan I wouldn't worry but here the peak has yet to come.

I mostly train solo anyhow but I don't see how 2 weeks off would hurt anything.

I say that as an "essential" worker. Although some believe we will shut down as a delivery driver who deals with US mail I don't see it happening and I resent it when people complain about places shutting down because the way I see it money is the only reason to stay open.

Without deliveries people are not going to get their medicine, food and clothing (including stores) so I accept my fate but for everyone else I don't see the point of risking your or family's health. I will fine, am stronger and healthier than ever but there is a good chance that I will become a carrier because I have a business route with a lot of customer contact and I am touching packages touched by many others.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 am

I wonder how many of those who say they are not going to stop going to class have since they started training missed classes or training for much more frivolous reasons
After nearly 50 years of consistent training mostly done in a solo settingI know a small break will not hurt
As CMC says ,invest in loss
Yield to the need to keep others safe
It is so bad to see all the practitioners who are using this as an advertising campaign to say ,my teaching is the answer
Most of it is just poorly exercuted chi Kung
As for these mass classes of people in hazmat suits doing tai chi in hospitals
What a joke ,apart from the benefit of getting out of bed and moving a bit what would the average patient get out of two weeks of poorly taught tai chi
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:47 am

re: poorly taught Tai Chi:

I'd say simpy getting out of bed and moving around for 20 minutes is infinitesimally better for you than not doing it. All the body's functions kind of rely on movement to work optimally.

So, poorly taught or not poorly taught - I'd say it works. As would doing 20 minutes of miming or ecstatic dance or pretending to be a tiger with a limp.

Sorry to blow the marketing scam for the "my system is the best" guys ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:00 pm

GrahamB wrote:r
So, poorly taught or not poorly taught - I'd say it works. As would doing 20 minutes of miming or ecstatic dance or pretending to be a tiger with a limp.

so true.

grzegorz wrote:

Without deliveries people are not going to get their medicine, food and clothing (including stores) so I accept my fate but for everyone else I don't see the point of risking your or family's health. I will fine, am stronger and healthier than ever but there is a good chance that I will become a carrier because I have a business route with a lot of customer contact and I am touching packages touched by many others.

thanks for keeping the supply chain going. also, for the packages, do you wear gloves? do you try to stay far apart from those humans?

Trick wrote: but now since the whole province declared virus free more has dropped the mask.........the old guys sitting by the corner playing chess and card are also back in bussiness, funny to see how many of them have pulled down their masks under the chin so they can managetheir chain smoking

too funny (but not) that they are doing that
everything
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan