new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby everything on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am

maybe we should start some new threads since the other one(s) have devolved into b.s.

wondering from your experience where you are located:

- how are small businesses doing in China, S. Korea, elsewhere in Asia as the "curve" has flattened?
- how about the employees of those businesses or other businesses, especially if they lost their jobs?
- any stories from what you're seeing or reading in news over there or from people you talk to?
- what is happening if you are a small biz owner or employee?

thanks for any updates. to try to stay on topic: we are NOT INTERESTED in your editorials on public health unless you have an MPH and MD and years of experience in this area, so please don't stray too far off the topic if possible... ??? :'( :-\ :P ::)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm

everything wrote:maybe we should start some new threads since the other one(s) have devolved into b.s.

wondering from your experience where you are located:

- how are small businesses doing in China, S. Korea, elsewhere in Asia as the "curve" has flattened?
- how about the employees of those businesses or other businesses, especially if they lost their jobs?
- any stories from what you're seeing or reading in news over there or from people you talk to?
- what is happening if you are a small biz owner or employee?

thanks for any updates. to try to stay on topic: we are NOT INTERESTED in your editorials on public health unless you have an MPH and MD and years of experience in this area, so please don't stray too far off the topic if possible... ??? :'( :-\ :P ::)

Only in Asia?

From relatives in Taiwan it seems so far, its not to bad.
They are worried about what they see on the news in the US
calling to see if everything is ok... :P
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:09 pm

100 dead Americans.

All 50 states.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:56 pm

to clarify, for the curve flattened question, I'm mostly wondering what life is like after the flattening since here in the USA, we are still encountering high growth of cases.

if you are in a location where there is still exponential growth of cases (many more countries), also interested in your updates. For example, is anyone posting here regularly living in Italy and can share some experiences for us?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:38 am

as i see here in huainan, the "small" businesses such as smaller restaurants with just a few tables, convenience stores, and such of that size seem to manage well and are in business now. bigger restaurants seem to still being closed but i think they will come in business within another month. office based businesses have manage to keep up from home work, but more and more are back to the office.....chinese seem to have financial "reserves" to fall back on, and their businesses are not so heavily tied to bank loans....during all these weeks, the three supermarkets around my area has newer been short of anything, and costumers has not gone into any catastrophy prepping mood. most household have anyway always plenty of rice, beans, cabbages and radishes stacked, its an cultural thing still holding on here in china......anotherthing ive noticed is how neighbours the local community seem concened and caring toward eachother
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 am

I'm using this site for tracking the numbers in the US: https://topic.newsbreak.com/covid-19.html

We've got over a thousand new confirmed cases today. The rate of new cases being confirmed is definitely speeding up. On Friday we only had 1100, and over the weekend went up to 3K. There's a line on that chart showing new cases too, to get an idea of how that rate is going over time.

Here in Austin, TX my family is staying home. We're both working from home and I've canceled PT and my daughter's OT. I already had pneumonia in December and am in no hurry to repeat the experience. Plus my mother in law, aka live-in babysitter is a prime candidate for this thing to take out completely.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 am

The sick are at a higher risk similar to the flu. Current global data shows that if you have no pre-existing conditions, your fatality rate if you contract the coronavirus is .9% (and what proportion of these cases are the elderly).

The data sets are interesting.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Zonker on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 am

I haven't seen, or felt, anything like this since 9/11. NYC, Manhattan in particular, is fairly freaking out. As of this morning, NYS has the highest number of diagnosed coronavirus patients/cases in the U.S. and we've been advised to act as if we each of us are infected with the virus. All public schools in NYC are closed for the next month and there's talk that classes might be suspended for the rest of the school year. Restaurants are take out (take-away) or delivery service, only. Movie theaters, B'way, gyms, etc. are ordered closed. The streets of Manhattan are fairly empty. Subways are, apparently, nearly empty during rush hour. I work in one of the civil courthouses and it is, basically, shut down. Attorneys and litigants are advised not to come to the courthouse and all cases are being administratively adjourned out until July! The only cases being heard are "emergency applications" and the definition of "emergency" is fluid, at this point and I understand that this is statewide in NYS. My teacher is in his 60's and thus, a "high risk" category for coronavirus so, I won't be meeting him for a bit. I reside in The Bronx and it's quieter here this week then it's ever been in my 21 years living in this neighborhood. The benefit for me is I now have lots and lots of time to spend with my 8 year old son and for solo Xing Yi practice, in the third largest park in the City right across the street form our apartment! Be well folks!
Last edited by Zonker on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 am

how many pf you forum members live in NYC ? as Zonker describe manhattan today describe that the situation os serious, but do you actually see medic/special sanitation personel in your neighbourhoods cleaning the homes and building entrances, do you now of confirmed cases, are any of your nerghbours missing ?......... i ask, because here in my very big living area/blocks no ones "went missing" no closed off apartmentt buildings, exept for a few days some seven weeks ago, but it turned out to not be any corona virus in the neighbourhood, i actually believe the whole city has been corona free all the time....from friends up in Dalian non pf them know of any infected......how can any regular joe and jane confirm the confirmed cases ?.......i just saying from out of my personal experience here in huainan reports from media doesnt really add up.........However, stay safe from whatever thats lurking out there
Trick

Postby denchen on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 am

Some hint of light at the end of a pretty dark tunnel
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news ... g-covid-19

Lockdown accelerating here in UK as cases and deaths spike. Been hearing of potential self test kit to identify immunity which would be a game changer, meanwhile
familly in self iscolation due to my wife's auto immune condition which puts her at high risk.
London's a hotspot, hoping we're a bit more protected out here in the sticks. Stay safe folks.
denchen
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:32 am

so right now i read the online new of one of swedens biggest evening papers. they interview two infected with covid-19, they are sick as in influenza sick, they are not eldery and they seem at good spirit saying its not that bad and people worry too much. they are quaratined at home, so it seem not too dangerous........report from italy say, that 99% of the deceased has other health issues and mostly eldery citizens among the deceased. italy have big eldery population
Trick

Postby windwalker on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 am

Trick wrote:so right now i read the online new of one of swedens biggest evening papers. they interview two infected with covid-19, they are sick as in influenza sick, they are not eldery and they seem at good spirit saying its not that bad and people worry too much. they are quaratined at home, so it seem not too dangerous........report from italy say, that 99% of the deceased has other health issues and mostly eldery citizens among the deceased. italy have big eldery population

It is interesting as many of the effects seem to be the same as the flu.
The most vulnerable populations the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, so far.
I am still wondering what exactly is the cause for much of the actions being taken now.

The numbers and effects compared to other virus
seem very similar or in some cases less .
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:58 am

hoping it will be very mild for most people and we can all get back to work and normal lives soon. my immediate family members nearby have asthma or are elderly (but with no underlying issues), so I won't be taking any big risks for now. There isn't really any reward for that risk. However, hope most people can get back to work really soon... the stock market tanking is really the opposite of a reward since activities are stopping.

Anyone here on rsf located somewhere with still a lot of normal gathering activity? How are things resuming? When I go outside for a walk/run/bike, everyone is out with this same idea (exercise but at a distance). It is sort of nice, but sort of surreal.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Here in California we were screwed. I am screwed. I work with the public and if we shut down everything shuts down and on top of that relaxed attitudes ala Trump have many in denial. I am glad he's finally changed his tune once the stock market crashed. I give credit where credit is due.

I say we are screwed because first Americans, not foreigners, brought the virus over cruise ships and were quarantined on Air Force bases here yet on the flight over from Japan the US put the inflected people and non-infected people together.

I was talking with my friend from Taiwan and he said in Asia everyone is masked up and gloved up. Yet not here most are treating it as a spring break and going around like all this is normal yet with schools, churches and offices closing.

I was grocery shopping for elderly family members with a mask and people thought I was infected and were afraid of me yet people are generally slightly afraid of me perhaps because I have a freckle near my eye which looks like a tear drop tattoo. LOL!

But it's obvious here and most of the US people are skeptical and think it's something happening over there. I have no doubt that the US will have the highest infection and death rate of the wealthier countries.

In Florida Spring break is still going on as normal on the beaches and people in SF are still going out as normal.

Watch "Spring Breakers Party On Despite Coronavirus Warnings | NowThis" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/KfpeDzcsd1s

Also here in California hate crimes against Asians are on the rise due to Trump blaming the Chinese so once again Fuck Trump.

I welcome those people to start shit with me but they won't because I look as crazy as I sound but if they do I would be happy to send these people to the hospital where they can get the corona virus.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:21 pm

We just had our first 100 diagnosed cases and first fatality where I live. So, technically we have a 1% fatality rate. That said, I'm sure at least several thousand other people are walking around with no idea that they have it.

It was an elderly man with multiple chronic health conditions.

Apparently he hadn't travelled anywhere.

I've been using a lot of Qing Qi Hua Tan Tang and Bei Mu Gua Lou San on patients lately. Basically they had mild colds and there is a weird lingering lung heat combined with a dry cough and deep seated phlegm that is very difficult to expectorate. None of them reported having a severe flu just lingering issues a few weeks after. So far the results are pretty good. I'm beginning to wonder if they in fact had Coronavirus and simply got over it on their own.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic