Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:38 pm

fauci, he was around for Obama also...

he's got a background that makes one wonder..

The national shortage of N95 respirator masks can be traced back to 2009 after the H1N1 swine flu pandemic, when the Obama administration was advised to replenish a national stockpile but did not, according to reports from Bloomberg News and the Los Angeles Times.

In 2009, the H1N1 outbreak hit the United States, leading to 274,304 hospitalizations, 12,469 deaths, and a depletion of N95 respirator masks.

A federally backed task force and a safety equipment organization both recommended to the Obama administration that the stockpile be replenished of the 100 million masks used after the H1N1 outbreak, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Charles Johnson, president of the International Safety Equipment Association, said that advice was never heeded

one would have to know who currently was in charge of that at the time,
and who is in charge of it now...

The US has short memory.....
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Right. Obama didn't listen to Fauci. Therefore ... absolutely nothing to do with Trump. It's funny to see the VP talk about the president's "15 day plan." He must have been a genius to think that up.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:51 pm

This is what the experts are saying about the situation in the US, along with some advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjzINXyKJo
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:07 pm

DR. ANTHONY FAUCI: That is really unfortunate. I would wish that would stop because we have a much bigger problem here than trying to point out differences. They really, fundamentally, at the core when you look at it, there are not differences. The president has listened to what I’ve said with the other people on the task force have said. When I’ve made recommendations,

he’s taken them. He’s never countered and overridden me.
The idea of pitting one against the other is just not helpful and I’d wish that would stop so we can look ahead at the challenge we have together to get over this thing.

we should see the trend lines very soon...
the spike noted was expected...with different parts of the US peaking at different times

high hopes for some the live
dug testing going now.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 pm

If you understand why social distancing now is important, that's good enough.

Yeah, we know that the trend lines are being shown right now. Thanks for the update. Great that your hopes are high for the live drug testing. But, just tell everyone you can to stay away from others for a while. Say it's the president's idea. I don't care. Just no more "it's a flu," "more people die from the flu," or anything that makes this less important than it is. It can't be explained any better to you.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Steve James wrote:If you understand why social distancing now is important, that's good enough.

Yeah, we know that the trend lines are being shown right now. Thanks for the update. Great that your hopes are high for the live drug testing. But, just tell everyone you can to stay away from others for a while. Say it's the president's idea. I don't care. Just no more "it's a flu," "more people die from the flu," or anything that makes this less important than it is. It can't be explained any better to you.

got it comrade

got to get with the group think.

as noted people have different views based on different experiences
mine span some 10yrs in the Army medical corps a while back / maybe we might look at things
in a different way.

like I said...

we will see just how much more this virus is worse then the " flu "...
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm

From what you've said about this virus, I don't need any ER room qualifications. The only reason I entered this thread is because of what you were saying. If your experience tells you that social distancing right now is good, it's fine with me. Just don't tell people it's like the flu and you don't understand all the "mitigation" going on.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:56 pm

The only reason I entered this thread is because of what you were saying.

not to bash Trump....mmmm

well then...good, hope you've managed
to learn something.

be well , stay safe.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 pm

No to bash stupidity that will get people killed.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Interesting how this thread started with the locked Shanghai thread of how an expat leaves China due to the pandemic and China's response to it because as of today with the way the US is handling things or should I say not handling things I would rather be in China although not so much for me as much as my loved ones with health issues.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07 am

There are at least two known different mutations of the virus. But even the one most common in the Chinese mainland is a second mutation. No one have found the first mutation from animal to human, which also is one of the reasons that we don't know exactly where the virus started to spread. Let's just go with the "it started in the USA theory" so we can have more fun. ;D

"The team identified two types of the virus based on differences in the genome at these two regions: 72 were considered to be the “L-type” and 29 were classed “S-type”.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... z6HhK9Amt5"
Last edited by Bao on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:32 am

Between 14 March and 30 July 2003 a total of 668 probable cases of SARS were reported. Of the 668 cases, 181 (27%) were fatal. Compared to the survivors, fatal cases were more likely to be older (p < 0.001), male (p < 0.05), exposed through hospital contact (p < 0.001), and have a coexisting medical disorder (p < 0.001). Between 28 March and 30 July a total of 151,270 persons were quarantined.

It is interesting due to the last pandemic Taiwan took the right steps to insure
it wouldn't happen again...Have family members who work in some of the hospitals there.
They worry about us here. :P

More than half the population of the UK could already have the new coronavirus Covid-19, according to researchers from Oxford University.

University of Oxford Professor Sunetra Gupta said if that is the case, then fewer than one in a thousand people who contract the disease will need hospital treatment.

If the Oxford research is correct, the lockdown could be lifted earlier than expected.

Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, previously said about 60 per cent of the population need to contract Covid-19 and recover for there to be 'herd immunity'.

Oxford, Cambridge and Kent universities plan to carry out antibody testing on the public later this week

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk- ... id-3981158

A new epidemiological COVID-19 coronavirus model from Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group suggests the vast majority of people infected with the SARS-CoV-2 suffer little or no illness.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1204001766

Scientists at Oxford University say the COVID-19 death rate could be much less than first reported. The team looked at the dramatic variation in death rates in known cases around the world and found that less than 0.2% of patients who catch coronavirus will die worldwide. The article includes comments from Carl Heneghan, Professor of Evidence-Based-Medicine at Oxford University

http://www.ox.ac.uk/coronavirus-research/media

The different approaches are interesting.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 am

The Oxford vaccine, known as ChAdOx1, is one of five frontrunner vaccines in development around the world. The US biotech Moderna gave its first vaccine shot to a person in Seattle earlier this week. Another US firm, Inovio, will soon start trials on its own coronavirus vaccine, which requires a special device to administer through the skin. In Germany, CureVac is working on a vaccine, while others are in development in China

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ne-science

In February, a research group led by virologist Manli Wang of the Chinese Academy of Sciences put the idea to the test and found that chloroquine successfully stopped the spread of SARS-CoV-2 in cultured human cells. Preliminary reports from China, South Korea and France suggest that the treatment is at least somewhat effective in treating human patients, and some hospitals in the U.S. have begun administering the drug, according to The New York Times. In addition, the FDA is organizing a large clinical trial to formally assess the drug's effects, the Times reported.

https://www.livescience.com/chloroquine ... tment.html

a known drug , hopefully the results are as positive as those who've said they recovered
using it are.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That