Essence & foundation of Taiji, Bagua, XY are found in these

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Essence & foundation of Taiji, Bagua, XY are found in these

Postby salcanzonieri on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:28 pm

Everything said in these interviews, is the pure roots of the internal martial arts.
You can see TJQ, Bagua Zhang, and XY emerging from what you hear and see in these interviews.
These are the real deal movements, not the fake public exhibition stuff.

Every aspect that later became the starting point that Chen family used to develop what became TJQ,
every aspect that Dong Hai Chuan used to develop BGZ,
every aspect that Ma Xue Li used to develop Xinyi Quan,
the roots are to be found in what these masters are saying and showing.

salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Re: Essence & foundation of Taiji, Bagua, XY are found in these

Postby everything on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 pm

Only watched some of the last.

Looks good!

In some sense the outer form of much stand up MA is similar.

Those masters learned from others so it’s no surprise.

But that’s not really what makes Dong interesting.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 am

I don't believe that an art as Xinyiba is the origin, but I am pretty much convinced that the history of CMA in general might be much more different and complicated than what people realise.

And that "the Chen family developed what became TJQ" might also be very much simplified. And if Dong Haichuan developed Bagua could be discussed.
The history of XYQ I know too little about to say anything about it or even to begin speculate about it.

But there are certainly threads from IMA that runs through both older and more recent Shaolin styles.
... Sometimes the similarities might be greater than many people would like to admit... :P
Last edited by Bao on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm

I like video #2 & #3. The concepts are spot on for xinyi & applications seem sensible. Don't think #4 applications are that great.

As for the mother style or root - he pretty much said in #1 that they had to research and rediscover the style.

Essence or foundation of xinyi found in tc, bg, xyq shouldn't have people thinking that it is better than those styles. What I found is that practising xinyiluhe is it's all about the basics & the drills which a great compliment to other styles. That said I also see shuaijiow as great compliment to the other styles.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Thanks for sharing Sal!

If you also watch my Xingyi series, its the start of me trying to join the dots. You can see a clear link between Shaolin and Xingyi when comparing what the teachers are saying and showing.

At some point, when this COVID-19 crap is over, I want to do a series on looking at the various styles that call themself Tongbei or Tongbi, and another one on the popular styles of Hebei province (Fanzi, Cuojiao, Changquan, Tantui etc). This should further connect some dots.

As for the fourth vid, Cui Zhong Wu was actually one of the most knowledgeable that I met, but also the most difficult to pry information out of. If you want to see more of what he is all about, look up the channel Shaolin Yuzhai, my friend Josh Viney studied under Cui and his father for many years.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby salcanzonieri on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 pm

chenyaolong wrote:Thanks for sharing Sal!

If you also watch my Xingyi series, its the start of me trying to join the dots. You can see a clear link between Shaolin and Xingyi when comparing what the teachers are saying and showing.

At some point, when this COVID-19 crap is over, I want to do a series on looking at the various styles that call themself Tongbei or Tongbi, and another one on the popular styles of Hebei province (Fanzi, Cuojiao, Changquan, Tantui etc). This should further connect some dots.

As for the fourth vid, Cui Zhong Wu was actually one of the most knowledgeable that I met, but also the most difficult to pry information out of. If you want to see more of what he is all about, look up the channel Shaolin Yuzhai, my friend Josh Viney studied under Cui and his father for many years.

Oh, you made these videos, you did a truly great job! I commend you.

Yes, looking into Tong Bi (older) / Tong Bei will connect some dots.

If you will, please, get my book from Amazon, The Hidden History of the Chinese Internal Martial Arts. It's a big thick book filled with information starting from Bagua Zhang and working backwards through through time, through Chuao Jiao, Fanzi, Liu He, Xin Yi, Xingyi, Taiji, Tong Bei, Taizhu Quan, Hong Quan, Taoist and Buddhist Neigong, to Shuai Jiao.
I spent 30 years researching what you are doing now. I think you will benefit from reading the book, you will formulate ideas for more videos.
I connected as many dots as I could from deep research that will give you a lot of aha moments.

I respect the work
Last edited by salcanzonieri on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Return to Video Links