Punching/blocking drill

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Punching/blocking drill

Postby johnwang on Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Do you train any punching/blocking drill like this in your system?

Any comment on this kind of training?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Punching/blocking drill

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Like a lot of Eskrima and other short weapon arts (I'll include the arms here) the training is too choreographed. Make the weapons longer, staff or spear, and this kind of training is not too bad. Better for solo than partner work.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:42 pm

One thing that I regret very much is the long fist system doesn't have this kind of partner training. The long fist system only have 2 men form which is different than partner drill. If I can ever relive my life again, I will spend most of my training time in this kind of partner drill instead of the solo form training.

Here is another partner drill that I like.

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Now you're just trolling.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 am

I used to train something similar to the clip in the OP which I believe originally came from the Lohan style of Sun Yufung (via the Jingwu organisation). I enjoyed it, but that was as a relative beginner. Upon more mature consideration, I think it is of limited value – and trains an action/reaction type paradigm that is not terribly useful. Nowadays, I would also be worried about the lack of mobility of the footwork.

I also worked on a two-person staff form, and that was really fun. I have similar reservations about it, though.

I think it depends on what is taught within the movements... after all, traditional JMA train short two person forms as a mainstay of their systems.

graculus
https://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

One of my teachers used to advise against overdoing this type of choreographed drills. He believes that they build bad habits for fighting by "making your heart and hands too soft."

The reasoning behind it is that those drills are basically a series of sloppily executed techniques. Ideally, you want to be able to knock down the opponent with just one move -- as opposed to purposely holding back so that your partner can have the chance to counter and continue the drill.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am

johnwang wrote:Do you train any punching/blocking drill like this in your system?

Any comment on this kind of training?

Would be better if they were standing close enough to hit each other.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:34 am

seems good for 70s martial arts movies
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:40 am

speaking of which, if we wanted to do careful choreography, something like this would be great. two random guys recreate a jackie chan vs. benny urquidez scene. they do a great job!! not sure it gives them skills but it really shows off some of their abilities (fight moves and acting).

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:54 am

Do you like this famous "preying mantis 5 punches" combo?

1. left back fist (or left hook),
2. right hammer fist (or right hook),
3. left high cross,
4. right low jab,
5. left hand downward parry, right back fist,
6. groin roundhouse kick.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:55 am

oragami_itto wrote:Would be better if they were standing close enough to hit each other.

What do you think about this distance?

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:05 pm

johnwang wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Would be better if they were standing close enough to hit each other.

I think that distance is fine John. We have a ton of these type drills in Hung Style. Only thing I'd say is... I don't just rely on on the patterns.
I believe it's best (for learning) to start with a repetitive drill and call it:
"THE MOTHER". Then as you progress, branch off it and in the middle of training the mother...you attack differently with spontaneity. After, that resolves itself. (Meaning start with mother and then spar).

= Then always come back to the mother and start again.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Subitai wrote:= Then always come back to the mother and start again.

Agree! The punch/block drill is only the staring point. It can move into more complicate partner training.

This is the famous Baji "tiger climb mountain 猛虎硬爬山".

- Downward parry, palm strike (same as XingYi Pi Quan)
- chest punch (same as XingYi Beng Quan),
- elbow strike (Baji elbow).
- palm strike.

One can see that Baji and XingYi have a lot of similarity,

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:23 am

johnwang wrote:

Out of all of these drills and forms that you have shown this is the only one performed with any power whatsoever. It looks very much like some drills I trained in Xingyiquan. I like this type of drill because it trains power in both offensive and defensive techniques, arm conditioning, distancing, timing, coordination, balance, structure and all kinds of other good stuff, but only if it's kept short and simple with high percentage techniques. If these are added to solo training and sparring it will bring many benefits. Many of these same drills can be done solo or using a tree, if access to training partners is a problem.

If time with a training partner is limited I would skip straight to sparring. If you have a lot of time with your partner I'd skip the solo training and do it on my own time. Personally, I have limited time to train with partners and they usually train different styles so I prefer to do my solo drills at home and just spar. I do have power tests that I can do on virtually anyone, which I occasionally like to do.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:38 pm

johnwang wrote:

Like this kind of practice with speed and power. Very Old school feel. I am not sure if walking backwards as here is the best way to practice though. This is very similar to drills a Bagua teacher taught. We would begin every class playing a drill where the defender is single handed. You needed to be loose and relaxed to be fast enough, but if the opponent used strength you still needed to have a good structural support to not collapse. Wasn’t easy to find the balance between loose and supported. But excellent practice.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan