What is a Wet Market?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

What is a Wet Market?

Postby Bob on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Interesting take - also his site has great home-style recipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbyuy2nHBg

There's been a *lot* of nonsense going around online around Chinese wet markets these days, so we wanted to make a quick digression from our normal video and address the issue. This is a normal, every day wet market in China. No click-bait, no shock video, just a real, normal wet market.

There is some nuance to this issue that I wasn't able to get to in the video, so definitely check out the pinned comment below for a more detailed discussion than what was on camera.

Bob
Great Old One

Re: What is a Wet Market?

Postby everything on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

good video and commentary
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby meeks on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm

agreed - I get disgusted to see manipulators like Lindsay Graham use the term 'wet market' like it's a place to sample raw bat and racoon meat. This video is great.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:58 pm

I lived in Guangzhou, the city next to where that vid was filmed in Foshan, and I agree with the narrator: that market is better than average. I would say much better as I never shopped in one so clean and orderly.

There are still wet markets in Guangzhou that sell unusual things like cats, turtles, snakes, and frogs, next to freshly-cut, un-refrigerated pork and sometimes lamb, rarely "beef" (lots of things in China need air quotes), but they had gotten rid of most of the poultry within the past couple of years.

In most places where I shopped, the stench was significant and there were always growing piles of rubbish that included discarded bits of inedible innards that not even Upton Sinclair would recognize, all mixed in with unsold veggies.
Michael

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 pm

i live across from a wet market in Taipei. That IS NOT a typical wet market. Very few look like that, even in Taiwan. Those are the newer, nicer ones where the government is trying to enforce good standards.

Typical wet markets here are dirty and breed roaches and rats like you wouldn't believe. They slaughter chickens on site and in general, the places smell and look bad. Like Michael said above, they generate mountains of trash that sits in the sun and smells up the area.

As for China, sorry but SOME wet markets are selling/butchering exotic animals. And I've seen sun bears even here with steel tubes connected to their gall bladders to extract bile.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06 pm

I'd like to add that I am not against mainland Chinese wet markets, in fact I like them, although I certainly never saw anything like a sun bear in Guangzhou.

The reason I like them is that Chinese people still have fresh food as integral to their culture and the markets are so common that you can buy fresh veggies daily, or twice weekly, whatever, on the way home from work. For a person who grew up in the West, the meat hygiene, especially in the summer in a city at the latitude of Guangzhou, seems kind of risky, but neither I nor my shopping and cooking companions ever got sick from it just doing things the normal Chinese way.

My last comment kinda belongs in the crazy covid thread, but I believe it's admitted now the wuhan seafood market bat soup deal was just a bogus cover story, they don't sell bats there, and I also never bought the civet cover story for SARS. I think other explanations are actually more plausible, especially those suggested for Wuhan and the fact it has two bio research labs that do work with jumping horshoe bat corona viruses to humans. Corona never had anything to do with the wet markets and bat soup.

Yeah, Chinese wet markets, streets, etc., could be cleaner, but that ain't really in the top 10 things to worry about right now, IMHO.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:39 pm

I too like the wet markets, at least the ones I experienced in Dalian which is an “seafood city”, lots of fresh seafood and fish. Never exeperienced anything “stranger” than silkworms in those markets
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Although back when I just had moved to Dalian there where some restaurants that held dog meat on their menu, Korean restaurants, huge Korean population up in Liaoning/Dalian....But never saw any dog meat in the butcher stables at the markets....However, some restaurants serving mainly mutton dishes, put the head and skin of the sheep slaughtered for the day on display just outside the restaurant, signaling “here’s fresh meat, come and eat”
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:44 am

That IS NOT a typical wet market. Very few look like that, even in Taiwan. Those are the newer, nicer ones where the government is trying to enforce good standards.

In Hsinchu, they remolded one, in others I've been to never really thought about it much.
Comparing some of the practices commonly used in the west for disease prevention can't really be done
in those settings,,,not something I did anyway....

much of what they did wouldn't be allowed. :P

In Thailand they also have the same type of markets selling lots of things one wouldn't think are edible,
apparently they are.

@Micheal,

lots of conjecture regarding the bio lab in the area. China has had
problems in the past with some of their bio labs, this also
may be another problem..

The counter argument presented the virus itself, looked at by many in the field
is said to be one that was not being studied in the lab "as far as they know".
doesn't seem to have been genetically modified.

For the third time in less than a year, an outbreak of SARS seems to have originated from a failure in laboratory containment. This latest incident, revealed in China late last week, is the most serious.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/304/5671/659

Although China intends to build five to seven high-containment laboratories by 2025, as of now, only the Wuhan lab can currently contain pathogens of this nature, according to the 2019 CDC report.

Chinese health officials have classified the new coronavirus as a Class B infectious disease, placing the illness in the same category as SARS and HIV/AIDS,

The Washington Post reported. However, the Chinese government announced that it will institute Class A controls — which are usually reserved for more dangerous diseases, like cholera and the plague — in an attempt to contain the outbreak

https://www.livescience.com/china-lab-m ... virus.html
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 am

Isn't Wet Market just a stalking horse for all the racist to come out of the closet
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:01 pm

yup there is the actual wet market, and then there is the "wet market" loonie bin the video creator said he was trying to get away from
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Isn't Wet Market just a stalking horse for all the racist to come out of the closet

An American says Chinese wet markets are gross. China says, "Hold my beer, white devil!"

BTW, discrimination against foreigners since the CCP blamed the USA for the corona virus has included not only black, but sporadically excluding any foreigners from entering: hospitals, their own apartment complexes, restaurants, transportation, gyms, etc.
Last edited by Michael on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Michael wrote:BTW, discrimination against foreigners since the CCP blamed the USA for the corona virus has included not only black, but sporadically excluding any foreigners from entering: hospitals, their own apartment complexes, restaurants, transportation, gyms, etc.

Don’t know about that. Hospital I’ve not been to under this virus outbreak so can’t tell, and apartment complex I only walking in and out of the one I live in during this virus outbreak(and basically do so also under normal circumstances too)
Restaurants have been closed under the virus threat, but they are gradually opening up again, and I’m again out for dinner almost everyday.
Taxis I ride too without problem (however couple of months before the virus thing one driver asked if I was American, “no, I’m a Swede” I said, “jump in” he said)
Gyms, i suppose they are still closed(at least the two in my vicinity are), so no USAian, Swede or Local have access still.
Wet markets will probably continue as usual, open for all.
Trick

Postby Michael on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:47 pm

I've seen a recent video of a pregnant black couple being refused entry to a hospital. Not sure which city it was in.

Here is McDonald's in Guangzhou with written notices for blacks to keep out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-3vOkKjqq_ ... 3xfhkcp3ub
Michael

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic