Alterations of social consciousness- Star Wars reflections

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Alterations of social consciousness- Star Wars reflections

Postby Overlord on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:49 am

I am a hardcore Star War fan. As our social values progressed over the past decades somehow, the Star Wars values progressed.

In the Original 4 to 6 installments, theme is simple, family and struggle between dark side and light side of the force. How to understand the universe in a wholistic point of view. How defense is the way.

In the 1 to 3 installations, you can see how the light side of the force became corrupted because of attachment. How a scar emotion impregnate an dark force inside a warrior. How the leader used war and terrorism to subvert democratic republic into a authoritarian empire.

Once Disney purchased Lucus film, Kathleen Kennedy altered or tried to alter the consciousness of the viewers,
1, Jedi is no longer respected. Juicing milk from Sea elephants’s titty. Bit like the discredited masters today.
2, Neo feminism start rise, the female becomes the Mary Sue god mode, fast Mac dojo is possible, no need for training and refinement
3, Promote female violence (feminism)but not true feminism ( like today MMA female try to fight like male)

But the premise of Star Wars was all about balance of the force, and the topic was never properly answered especially toward the end. Bit like today all the young, hype zealots who believes fight is all there is. And the trend is clear, the dark side of the force is actually winning in the real life.

The ride on the emotional boat is actually easy, but to navigate the boat in the emotional turbulence is hard. And balance of the force it is.
Overlord

Re: Alterations of social consciousness- Star Wars reflections

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 am

The “first three” parts has it all right.....then it went downhill
Trick

Postby aamc on Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:31 am

Ahh film criticism 101. Here goes, I really like the current series. I think Rogue One is a great picture, it got rid of these self-righteous space wizards that in all honesty are pretty incompetent. The original series was about coming over to the 'dark side', I thought that this picture really explored that what makes good people do bad things because of the what they believe is right. I thought Rogue One showed how that makes people fanatics and heros. I also really liked Rise of Starwalker which reverted 'the chosen one' motif. Ren self-actualised and became the person she wanted to be, not the role destined for her. Plus it was spectacle film, big and noisy.

The first film Star Wars is basically the battle of midway in space. Empire strikes back I think is probably the best, because its bleak. Even though when you start to think about it, it makes no sense. How would no one not notice giant walkers until its too late? Last Jedi - :-/

Then the prequels, which are awful with terrible dialogue, static scenes and characters you couldn't care less about.
Last edited by aamc on Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
aamc
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:03 am

Even a person like Alex Jonesey understand what first three is all about....
And because it reflects reality, people founded hard to palate...
Overlord

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:04 am

I remember seeing the original SW in the theater --(got to the theater late, and we had to sit in the first row). What made that movie great was that the story was how Lucas used popular film conventions to move a mythic story into the future. Yeah, the space battles were WW2 dogfights. Han and crew were pirates; the Jedi were knights; and then there are the robot comic relief taken from Japanese film. At the center is the family drama with a coming of age story for boys, and a sexy Princess who could shoot for the girls and boys. Finally, there's the conflict between the (dark) father and the force.

The first three movies put those elements together. The later movies had to fit into the mold, but it has never been done as successfully. But, afa standalone movies, I agree that some were successful, but most weren't. Otoh, the later movies are nowhere near as deep because the star wars universe has gotten so big. It's not possible for any Star Wars movie to satisfy fans of the books. Now, there's the Clone Wars and other animated series, not to mention the Mandalorian. It'd take a genius to combine all the elements "and" make them mesh with the universe.

That is probably why the Mandalorian is received better than some of the latest SW films. Hey, people are dying to see a live action Asokha Tano. The Skywalkers are just not interesting because they're Skywalkers --or Palpatines. So, I liked Rogue One on its own. It didn't matter if it didn't fit in.

Hmm, if you wanted to get someone started in the SW thing, which movies would you have them see first?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:19 am

in 1977 i was eleven...i for sure was at the right age to be totally star wars marveled...and the feeling got even stronger when i found myself in London in the summer of 1980, the year empire strikes back had its premiere, london was star wars buzzlng
Trick

Postby Overlord on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Disney has no respect to the franchise and viewers. It’s literally jerking off to fans faces. :-\
Overlord

Postby edededed on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Producers, etc. just cannot help but inject their opinions into their projects.

Nowadays it seems that Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. are mostly just "pew pew pew pew!" action fests, without much else.

Anyway, movies are really just special investment vehicles (that only rich can purchase). As a result, they naturally follow content that can make money with the least risk. (Action + special effects + brand) Following typical opinions of those they want to come watch the movie can only help.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm

Yes, late 70’s and early 80’s I was a huge Star Wars fan, had lots of Star Wars related stuff at home, but no lightsaber 8-) (instead I had an iaito, an bokken , and a fencing foil)
One book on the Star Wars saga I bought in the early 80’s. In it George Lucas mention his plan for a complete 9 part Star Wars story. So he must have had an story line idea brewing for the whole nine part saga already back then.
Although he probably had to remodel those remaining parts so to some degree fit and reflect the current social standards. The stories of the far away galaxy has to follow suit with present day Earth social standards.
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:48 am

What I did respect and enjoy with the original trilogy is that they tried to create a world that felt real. The creatures, make up, environments etc. And the acting style was simple and natural. The starship battles were adapted from WW2 documentary material. Nothing was too excessive, over the top or slapstick-ish.

... and then you compare the with ep 1 to 3... 'nuff said... ::)

And then the Disney movies :( , a bunch of people having no clue whatsoever what they was to do or what they want to say. A Complete lack of creativity. Not one single original idea. So they sort of tried to copy the original movies and instead of relying on story telling or a plot that had some kind of meaning, they filled the holes with more re-used junk and a lot of worn out cliches. Oh my, what a mess... :P
Last edited by Bao on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 am

It's all about money.

Originality = risky investment
Re-use of past successful cliches = safe investment

Disney, like a glorious entertainment investment fund, now pretty much owns everything from Star Wars to Marvel to Muppets to Pixar. They certainly can throw money at things.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:12 pm

Actually, I like the animated series. Maybe because it's in cartoon form, enjoying it is more like a guilty pleasure that I don't try to intellectualize. It's not dark and psychological as the Dark Knight, either. But ... we know also know that it's leading to "da da da, dadada dadada." :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:23 pm

Did someone say da da da?

Yeah Disney has lost the way, but Lucas did as well in ep 1-3 imo. The originals simply followed The Hero's Journey in a clean way. It must be hard to build on that in the same way it must've been hard to write an ending to GoT when Martin hadn't done it. It seems like Pixar also went downhill since Jobs' death and Lasseter's exit. Of course we know that sequels are the safer investment. OTOH, The Mandalorian has been super enjoyable. Not sure about the morality commentary.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby aamc on Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:22 am

aamc
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Many good points made above. I don't consider the Disney Films canon and rather think that the Thrawn Trilogy should have been the final three films in the trilogy.

On a related point... lately I am thinking that there was a strong correlation between the advent of accessible greenscreen/CGI and the decline of standards of blockbuster filmmaking in the last 20 years. Any takers?
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic