Basic Bagua applications from Single palm change.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Basic Bagua applications from Single palm change.

Postby Henry on Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 am

Some applications, and a re-cap for my students mike, matthew and saruabh here in Limerick, Ireland covering the options from single palm change (dan huan zhang) with a focus on grabs, take downs and self defense orientated options.

I stopped doing chinese martial arts for some time due to the politics and became more interested in FMA, only began showing some of this material again, as a student asked about it and showed some genuine interest in learning.

filmed way before the lockdown happened.

video below is a run through of the 4th palm change and some ideas to use the rattan ring as a training partner.
Last edited by Henry on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henry
Anjing

Re: Basic Bagua applications from Single palm change.

Postby everything on Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am

looks great! xing yi and ba gua videos posted here in one day? probably hasn't happened in recent years lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 05, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 06, 2020 9:58 pm

Henry - I used to study a style of tai chi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2j99p9KyNU
- if you watch the start you'll see that after the hands come down it's exactly like what you show as "leaning on the horse asking the way", so that was interesting to me. What style Bagua is this?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Henry on Fri May 08, 2020 5:54 am

Hi graham,

Its the jiang rong qiao form, I learnt from a teacher in nantes, wong wei yue, (over 15 yrs ago at this stage, when i was 21) who i also learnt some tan tui and xingyi from. Thing that surprises me about this form is there seems to be so many variations on the basic movements, i've seen this set done by wudang practitioners, wushu people aswell. some of the stuff out there has a "real martial flavour to it" other parts seem like just going through the motions and or more wushu like.

A wushu friend learnt the JRQ set, while in taiwan and we got to compare and contrast stuff too. Another friend and shaolin kung fu classmate who learnt sun zhi jun line cheng bagua and cross trained and exchanged ideas, also inputted into ways in approach the set. im hoping in the near future to study more cheng bagua, once this covid nonsense is over.
Henry
Anjing

Postby Henry on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:23 am

a run through of some of tea cup exercises and discussion on applications, hopefully be of use to some people
Henry
Anjing

Postby Henry on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:01 am

couple of additional applications uploaded covering throws, take downs and joint locks from the single palm change.

Henry
Anjing

Postby Henry on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:15 am

Henry
Anjing

Return to Video Links