You gotta see this!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

You gotta see this!

Postby grzegorz on Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Damn I wish my Chinese was better. The translation is not great but whatever...although I am sure I am missing out in the exchange of words.

What do you do when someone half your age and twice your size walks into your class to challenge you for insulting their teacher?

https://youtu.be/sjNH79q1AzY
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat May 16, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: You gotta see this!

Postby johnwang on Sat May 16, 2020 4:34 pm

grzegorz wrote:Damn I wish my Chinese was better. The translation is not great but whatever...although I am sure I am missing out in the exchange of words.

What do you do when someone half your age and twice your size walks into your class to challenge you for insulting their teacher?

https://youtu.be/sjNH79q1AzY

Every CMA instructor need to train a group of "biting dogs". If you have not trained any old students who can protect the honor of your school, it will be your problem.

A: I want to fight you.
B: Before you can fight me, you will need to fight my number 10 student. After than, you will need to fight my number 9 student, after that, ...
Last edited by johnwang on Sat May 16, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat May 16, 2020 5:04 pm

johnwang wrote:
Every CMA instructor need to train a group of "biting dogs". If you have not trained any old students who can protect the honor of your school, it will be your problem.

A: I want to fight you.
B: Before you can fight me, you will need to fight my number 10 student. After than, you will need to fight my number 9 student, after that, ...

yep ;)

a little history

JW mentioned "biting dogs"

there was a famous martial artist traveling from the south of China to the north, knocking on all the doors of different schools challenging and defeating each one.
And one day he knocked on the Yang family door.

When the students heard who it was, everyone looked at each other, wondering who was going to go out.
Nobody went out. Nobody was willing to go out.

This looked bad for Yang Chengfu, because if he then did not go out when a challenge was issued, it would be worse.

It was at this moment that Zhang Qinlin, of all the students, stepped forward and said he would go out.
The other students felt a sigh of relief, and thought that if Zhang lost or did poorly then it was his own business.

Who was this person? His name was Wan Mou2, and he was renowned for his speed. When Zhang Qinlin came out the door and not Yang Chengfu, who he really wanted,

Wan said: What are you coming out for? I called on your teacher to come out. At the very least one of the senior students should come out. Zhang said: It is not necessary. You are not even up to their level of gongfu.

The implication was that Zhang's was just a very average kind of gongfu, and if Wan could beat Zhang, then a more senior student would come out. So Wan realized there was no way around this. He looked at Zhang Qinlin and saw that he wasn't very tall (about my height or a little taller), not fat but wide and thick, with big hands and feet, and wondered:

how could his hands and feet be so big? Because Wan had already defeated all the major schools in the south, he didn't think he would have any trouble in the north either

https://www.facebook.com/notes/david-le ... 084882079/
Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 16, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat May 16, 2020 5:04 pm

The teacher can set up a challenge rule that's suitable for his style.

Brendan Lai:

- I will throw just 1 punch. If you can block it, you win, otherwise you lose.

David C. K. Lin:

- I will try to take you down 3 times, if you can stand on your feet for more than 3 seconds in any of my 3 attacks, you win, otherwise, you lose.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat May 16, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Well there’s 3 minutes of my life I’m never getting back...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat May 16, 2020 7:41 pm

It's actually quite clever.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat May 16, 2020 9:22 pm

. What do you do when someone twice your size walks into your class to challenge you ?
. there was a famous martial artist traveling from the south of China to the north, knocking on all the doors of different schools challenging and defeating each one.
And one day he knocked on the Yang family door.

When the students heard who it was, everyone looked at each other, wondering who was going to go out.
Nobody went out. Nobody was willing to go out.

This looked bad for Yang Chengfu, because if he then did not go out when a challenge was issued, it would be worse.
That challenger must have been huge
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat May 16, 2020 9:32 pm

johnwang wrote:The teacher can set up a challenge rule that's suitable for his style.

Brendan Lai:

- I will throw just 1 punch. If you can block it, you win, otherwise you lose.

David C. K. Lin:

- I will try to take you down 3 times, if you can stand on your feet for more than 3 seconds in any of my 3 attacks, you win, otherwise, you lose.

But if challenger answer saying “no tricks, we free fight, but it’s ok we can use gloves for your safety” does the teacher still considered as winner?
Last edited by Trick on Sat May 16, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby johnwang on Sat May 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Trick wrote:But if challenger answer saying “no tricks, we free fight, but it’s ok we can use gloves for your safety” does the teacher still considered as winner?

It may depend on the teacher's age.

When I was young, I have accepted challenges such as:

- Punch only.
- Kick and punch only.
- Throw only.
- Everything go.

Today if someone challenges me, I will say, "I will play defense only. You can attack me anyway that you may prefer. But I want to set time limit as 2 minutes."

IMO, even if a teacher may get old, his defense skill should still exist. As long as a challenger can't hurt that teacher, that teacher doesn't need to hurt the challenger.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat May 16, 2020 11:22 pm

I’ve only witnessed two challenges from visitors to boxing and kickboxing gyms. Seem to be another attitude in those “western” pugilistic traditions, the challengers just ask to spar the best one(s) present at the gym and not challenge the coach/teacher.
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 am

Have to say much respect for those who state they want a challenge match. Usually I have seen people pretending to be potential new students who are actually their to test the teacher. The teacher is usually honest and upfront, at some point these "new" students make a scene of some kind and are never seen again.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun May 17, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby denchen on Sun May 17, 2020 2:21 am

Why the click baity title ?

I expect to be mugged off on youtube but not here.

Empty vessels make the most noise.
denchen
Mingjing

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 am

When I lived in China I used to hear so many stories and witnessed myself first-hand people "getting schooled" but I never saw this one play out.

Who doesn't like an ending with a good twist?

I actually think it was clever. Nothing fun about possibly getting jumped or stabbed.

I will say this much, no one is going to be disturbing that class in the park any longer.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sun May 17, 2020 10:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Trick wrote:I’ve only witnessed two challenges from visitors to boxing and kickboxing gyms. Seem to be another attitude in those “western” pugilistic traditions, the challengers just ask to spar the best one(s) present at the gym and not challenge the coach/teacher.

play the best players is better than play the (old?) coach.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Graculus on Sun May 17, 2020 8:15 pm

That challenger must have been huge

Not so big, I think – it was Wan Lai Sheng (of the Ziramen school).
He was certainly a fighty guy by all accounts, who didn't think much of Yang.

He had a run-in with Yang Chen Fu, when the latter was teaching at the National Academy in Nanjing, or so the story goes. (A surprise attack when Yang was cleaning his teeth or washing his hand or something like that).

Despite the lack of respect Yang seemed to garner, some respected fighters of Wan 's generation went to study with him... including Zhu Guofu, who was one of the winners of the 1928 tournament (in which Wan Lai Sheng injured his hand..although winning his fight) so there was something there.

graculus
[url]ichijoji.blogspot.com[/url]
Graculus
Huajing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan