Maintain flexibility in your old age

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Maintain flexibility in your old age

Postby johnwang on Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am

I have always believed that to maintain flexibility in old age is difficult (if not impossible). After I have seen this clip, I just realize that I was wrong. I believe Pan did this when he was in his 70.

Your thought?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Maintain flexibility in your old age

Postby everything on Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm

I've never had good flexibility at all at any age!

What is the key at any age? Looking for any advice.

My neighbor (ex pro athlete) said his main method is to stretch any time he watches television so even that downtime is put to some good use.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Wed May 20, 2020 1:18 pm

It says the video is private - I can't view it.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 pm

robert wrote:It says the video is private - I can't view it.

Should be public now.

everything wrote:What is the key at any age? Looking for any advice.

Stretch everyday.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby robert on Wed May 20, 2020 3:34 pm

johnwang wrote:Should be public now.

Yes.

everything wrote:What is the key at any age? Looking for any advice.

johnwang wrote:Stretch everyday.

I agree. I do taiji or jibengong nearly everyday. I've never been very flexible, but since I started CMAs around '92 I keep getting more flexible.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri May 22, 2020 6:14 am

damn, I think I need to triple my efforts. I already stretch every day, but clearly it's not enough to make some good improvements. maybe I have to do one of those youtube videos over 100 days or something.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 22, 2020 2:44 pm

It depends on your age. When you

- were young, you are in the development stage. Everyday you can see improvement in your training.
- get older, you are in maintenance stage. Everyday you should be happy that if you don't go backward.

Can you still improve during your old age? I don't know. Have never heard anybody who could do that. I believe Pan was still in his maintenance stage (养功) and not in his development stage in that clip.

Pan could do that when he was young. He can still do that when he is older. If Pan could not do that when he was young, I don't think he can do that when he is older.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 pm

http://guangpingyang.blogspot.com/2009/02/chin-to-toe.html?m=1
Practice anything everyday and you will see improvement.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 am

johnwang wrote:It depends on your age. When you

- were young, you are in the development stage. Everyday you can see improvement in your training.
- get older, you are in maintenance stage. Everyday you should be happy that if you don't go backward.

Can you still improve during your old age? I don't know. Have never heard anybody who could do that. I believe Pan was still in his maintenance stage (养功) and not in his development stage in that clip.

I guess that depends on where older kicks in ;)
I didn't start training martial arts until I was in my late thirties. When I first started I couldn't do Asian squats, but was able to after six months or a year. Now I'm in my mid sixties and my flexibility is still improving - currently for the lower Chen style postures I can keep my back upright and squat down so the weighted leg is around 120 degrees relative to the tibia. I'm confident I'll make that 100 degrees in another year or two. I don't think I'll get to full side splits, but that doesn't mean I'll stop trying for awhile. It actually seems to be getting easier.
Last edited by robert on Sat May 23, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert
Wuji

Postby warriorprincess on Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 am

Is there a point to be really flexible? Surely having a good range of movement in all joints and strength to carry you throughout your day, whatever you decide to do with it is a more valid goal?
warriorprincess
Anjing

Postby robert on Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am

The more flexible you are the easier it is to move. The less flexible you are the more you are fighting your own body. I'm not sure where it comes from, but I heard there was a saying in taiji that it is better to stretch 1/2 inch than gain 2 inches in circumference.
Last edited by robert on Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 am

warriorprincess wrote:Is there a point to be really flexible? Surely having a good range of movement in all joints and strength to carry you throughout your day, whatever you decide to do with it is a more valid goal?

Musculoskeletal range of movement (neck, knees, shoulders, wrist and waist) should always be mainteained to the best degree possible so in a sense (as they say), 'Use it or lsoe it".
As you know, when we get older, sarcopenia sets in, i.e. a gradual loss of muscle strength and it is even worse today with the lack of physical activity that we do when compared to 4 decader ago.
Too often we blame age but it i is actually ourselves with self limiting behaviours that allows for sarcopenia to become as we think!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Sun May 31, 2020 2:31 am

At fifty, I can't do this any more, but this pic was when I was about 40.
Last edited by bailewen on Sun May 31, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 am

bailewen, your picture seems to be blocked here.
everything
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Sun May 31, 2020 8:30 am

Last edited by bailewen on Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan