Why is the USA the most terrible police state in the world

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Why is the USA the most terrible police state in the world

Postby everything on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:59 pm

Probably the most telling meme said imagine if George Floyd had been a dog and how upset white people would be then. But then people are more upset about protests than what the protests are about.

Of course, it’s the protesters who are called violent, even when the overwhelming majority do nothing but march and chant – though they do refuse to back down, and challenging authority can be a capital crime in a police state. There have certainly been plenty of instances of vandalism and theft accompanying demonstrations, but it’s important to make a clear distinction between acts of property destruction and actual violence. Setting a police car on fire is very costly to taxpayers, but harm to human bodies should be far more disturbing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-officers

and what does the supposed "president" call for? more police and military violence. SMH. ??? ??? ???

what the hell is wrong with people here? I'm talking to you, USAmericans.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Why is the USA the most terrible police state in the world

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:27 pm

what the hell is wrong with people here? I'm talking to you, USAmericans.

to be clear you're not a citizen?
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:49 am

A list on journalists being shot, maltreated and arrested by the US police. From a FB post

After forty months of a president who incessantly pistons a critical and independent press as " fake news " and journalists as " Folkefiender " are seen reporters now as legitimate goals for police officers in the United States.

This is an incomplete list of the journalists who were attacked by the police as they covered the weekend's protests:

Freelance Linda Tirado shot in the left eye. She covered the gatedemonstrasjonene in Minneapolis. The doctors say she won't be able to see again on the eye. She says she's lucky, she's photographing with her right eye.

TV reporter Kaitlin Rust hit by pepperkuler as she reported directly. Police charged directly with her and her cameraman.

CNN reporter Omar Jimenez arrested during live broadcast, although he identified himself as a journalist and asked cops about where they wanted him to move. Afterwards they arrested his cameraman and his producer.

MSNBC reporter ali velshi shot with the police bullets.

Journalist Christopher Mathias beat up, arrested and held for eight hours by the police.

Phoebe Leila barghouty arrested despite the fact that she identified herself as a journalist.

Molly Hennessy fishing shot with mace on claw teams after identifying himself as a journalist.

CBS Reporter John Marshitz shot with bullets.

CNN commentator Keith Boykin arrested by the police in New York after identifying himself as a journalist.

Lexis-Olivier Ray knocked down by the police in Los Angeles after identifying himself as a journalist.

Tv journalist Sara sidery tåregasset without warning in what she was going to go directly from the demonstrations in Louisville.

CBS reporter Laura Mcquillan shot with gummikule under reporting from Minneapolis. She stood with the camera in an empty parking lot.

Freelance Jonathan ballew tåregasset as he showed the police pressekortet in Chicago.

Vice Correspondent Michael Anthony Adams shouted the press and held up the pressekortet to identify himself. He was held down by police officers who took him away.

Tv journalist Jeremy Jojola shot by the police right after live broadcast.

Journalist Samuel Braslow shot with bullets in Los Angeles.

A photojournalist in Minneapolis shot by the police. Tv journalist in Denver shooting with pepperkuler. In Detroit, a journalist was arrested by the police when he held up the pressekortet. A photographer got the camera knocked out of her hands. A reporter in Philadelphia beaten with politikøller for filming an arrest.

Tonight Donald Trump tweeted again:

«The Lamestream Media is doing everything within their power to foment hatred and anarchy. As long as everybody understands what they are doing, that they are FAKE NEWS and truly bad people with a sick agenda, we can easily work through them to GREATNESS!»

You won't find any such list from HK demonstrations. Stop talking about human rights USA. Just STFU.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 am

The categorization of journalists - we're talking all normal, accredited, 'mainstream' journalists here - as:

truly bad people with a sick agenda

once again beggars belief, even when one thinks that one has 'got used to' Trump and his normal level of pain generation. Is this still "the West", or have I missed something?
It's an implicit call, or license, to attack journalists for just being there, or for exercising this profession.

And if the legal or perceived "commander in chief" says it, then certain types of police officers can feel that, when it comes to attacking journalists, they have (moral) backing all the way up to the top.

-- Protesters attacking Fox journalists is equally reprehensible, of course. I wonder how the Fox journalists out on the streets feel about their most famous viewer and fan producing this verdict on them, too. Presumably not too safe at the moment. Or would they feel that they are not part of the mainstream media?
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:43 am

Even though I agree with criticisms of Trump especially with regard to attacking journalism, inflammatory tweets, etc., this unfathomable violence and racism has been going on long before him. He stokes the fires, but it will continue after he's gone, unfortunately.

I saw an article about "how do I makes sure I do not raise the next Amy Cooper?" and it's a good question. There wasn't really a good, clear answer, though. We are told we have or should have equal rights and rule of law, but then for many reasons, that doesn't seem to apply to everyone.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:43 am

Even though I agree with criticisms of Trump especially with regard to attacking journalism, inflammatory tweets, etc., this unfathomable violence and racism has been going on long before him. He stokes the fires, but it will continue after he's gone, unfortunately.

I saw an article about "how do I makes sure I do not raise the next Amy Cooper?" and it's a good question. There wasn't really a good, clear answer, though. We are told we have or should have equal rights and rule of law, but then for many reasons, that doesn't seem to apply to everyone.
everything
Wuji

Postby edededed on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:46 am

Today, "democracy" or "communism" or whatever are just euphemisms useful in legitimizing one's political power.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:46 am

Giles wrote: then certain types of police officers can feel that, when it comes to attacking journalists, they have (moral) backing all the way up to the top.

Exactly. They are backed. Backed all the way to the top. That's why "police state" is a perfectly good name.

More news:

"President Trump said violent protests over George Floyd’s death were “acts of domestic terror” and threatened to deploy the military to stop them."

Will the USA has its own, Tiananmen? We'll see... But if so, will the rest of the world condemn and try to isolate the USA? I would think not. :-\
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:54 am

Tiananmen was incredibly shocking. I think most of us here in the USA felt like "that could never happen here" now we just get threats that this kind of thing will happen in multiple cities. ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\
Last edited by everything on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am

Bao wrote: You won't find any such list from HK demonstrations. Stop talking about human rights USA. Just STFU.

The statement said that U.S. citizens working for The Post, the Times and the Wall Street Journal, whose press credentials are due to expire before the end of 2020, must hand back their press cards. They will not be able to go to Hong Kong or Macao as a base for work, it said.

Just a guess mind you, it could be that after seeing what happened to the foreign journalist the local journalist do not report.
You won’t find a list because those who do report are disappeared.

This may be a little hard to understand for those outside the US.
What is called the Free Press in the US is not free, it’s controlled by a very select group of people who have an agenda.
In some aspects this is always been the case in the US although it’s never been as blatant as in this time.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:52 am

everything wrote:Tiananmen was incredibly shocking. I think most of us here in the USA felt like "that could never happen here" now we just get threats that this kind of thing will happen in multiple cities. ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\

Ya know.

One of my students was there at that time.
He often mentions that people in the US have no idea of what’s really going on in China.
He wonders why the US government fails to do its job in protecting the citizens from
the groups trying to overtake it.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:32 am

Just a guess mind you, it could be that after seeing what happened to the foreign journalist the local journalist do not report.
You won’t find a list because those who do report are disappeared.

My point is used that if people had disappeared social media would be filled with reports, rumours

This may be a little hard to understand for those outside the US.
What is called the Free Press in the US is not free, it’s controlled by a very select group of people who have an agenda.
In some aspects this is always been the case in the US although it’s never been as blatant as in this time.

I've had a feeling it might be so. I will dig deeper in this. Thanks.
One of my students was there at that time.
He often mentions that people in the US have no idea of what’s really going on in China.

Agree with your student. Very few in the West understand what was going on back then and what is going on now. Now there's a massive anti-Chinese propaganda machine going on. To strengthen distrust and to strengthen racism against Chinese. All in the name of Economical warfare. It's a disgrace. Not only a disgrace from the US, but from all of the West. My country is not the least better.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:05 am

Agree with your student. Very few in the West understand what was going on back then and what is going on now. Now there's a massive anti-Chinese propaganda machine going on. To strengthen distrust and to strengthen racism against Chinese. All in the name of Economical warfare. It's a disgrace. Not only a disgrace from the US, but from all of the West. My country is not the least better.

You seem to have missed my point I see no need to argue it further but I want to share a few words.
Of the Chinese generation I associate with living in the US., all mention what they see as being propagated by what they call the communist. The tactics you describe is their way of generating a new type of propaganda based on perceived weakness in the US in the public’s response to it.

It’s their perception, regardless of my own views on it.

Regarding the disappearance of journalist and others.
People are well aware of what happens ,it’s not reported even on social media.
Again from what I’ve been told.

In my talking I often mention I feel US in many ways is like China which intern they refute having lived there and understanding it in ways that an outsider never could
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:46 pm

For those who want a western reporter's perspective on Tiananmen from someone who was there, you can read Scott Savitt's book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Savitt

Note: I know Scott from before he moved to Michigan, and consider him to be a friend (we trained martial arts together), but I think a shout-out for his book is warranted by the previous posts in this thread.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks to all the Estrangeros who admit they are getting biased news
outside of the USA but are totally ready to form opinions from it and then try
to convince others of the validity of their viewpoint.

A word on the riots - I attended the Austin TX "riot" and it was
all white people. Like 10-20% black. I did see a sketchy overweight ( not LEO )
white guy with an AR15 who was on the outskirts and looking around so I left
because the wife was with me. Who knows when one of those guys will shoot randomly into the crowd.
roger hao

Next

Return to Off the Topic