Daoist Exercises for Virility and Longevity

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Daoist Exercises for Virility and Longevity

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:09 am

Does anyone know this set by Bian ZhiZhong? I found a book of it and the internet is rather scarce with information. I would like to hear some peoples experience with it and also like to know if anyone has any videos of it being performed or knows who has some public.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: Daoist Exercises for Virility and Longevity

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 pm

https://www.scribd.com/document/36833087/Bian-ZhiZhong-Daoist-Exercises-for-Virility-and-Longevity-64pp

If anyone has scribd you can read the book here. Maybe you know a different name for it?

I have been trying it the last few days and I have to say it is an interesting set of movements. Going to keep at it awhile and see what the results are.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:34 pm

these exercises became popular in the Chinese Medical circles in China
after they were released to the public - when the guy who received them decided to share
i forget what year that was-- maybe it says it in the intro to the book- if i remember

they are supposed to come from a Hua Shan tradition
and i think what he released was just a portion of the tradition...

even i learned some of the exercises in TCM school (in the US)...

here is an old video that shows some of the exercises - and a bit of testimonials about people who had good results

if i remember the exercises in the vidoe cover almost everything in the book-
but maybe one or two exercises do not overlap- book vs video

i think there are a few instructionals in english floating around too (video)
but not many

thats all i really know about the set

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:03 am

Thanks, that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I knew someone here had to have seen these before.

I don't speak Chinese, is the guy in the video Bian ZhiZhong? There are a few movements not shown but this gives me a much better idea of how to do these. The only other video I found was of someone doing them like tai chi but that didn't seem right.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:26 pm

i don't remember who is in it, i would have to go back and rewatch it... sorry

this guy also has an instructional video out on the set
also - it doesn't match 100% with the content of the book

he is in maryland
no way to order online
but if you call or email - you will probably talk to his wife Peggy
who is very nice
http://www.songho.net/index2.ivnu

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:23 am

Forget it's Taoist origins this is a pretty basic warmup that won't add much to tai chi training
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:51 am

wayne hansen wrote:Forget it's Taoist origins this is a pretty basic warmup that won't add much to tai chi training

It actually says specifically in its book that this is a health exercise and will not help a martial artist with their martial art. It makes you wonder how many teachers had health sets they did as warm ups and stuff before tai chi training and their students misunderstood and thought they were for martial art training.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm

Everything I trained is applicable
I had a Dutch student who had trained with all the well known CMC people
He said to me
Everything you do relates to every thing else exercises,form ,pushing,fighting,weapons
My answer was
Well how do you think it is meant to be
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:22 pm

the OP was asking about a particular qigong set

the qigong set originates (supposedly) from the Taoists at Hua Shan
it doesn't have anything to do with Taijiquan
why should it have anything to do with Taijiquan

???
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:01 am

I learned them about 25 years ago from one of my teachers as it was part of his training when he was studying acupuncture in Chengdu back in the 1950's, I believe ???
I do not believe in the Daoist narrative but it is a folk tradition wrapped in yangsheng reformatting. Personally, any group of exercises done within the same frequency and duration (gong), does offere personal benefit

I know I have the book somewhere and it is a great resource in how the exercises are catalogued!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am

I found a copy of the 1987 English translation in a box of books left by a friend years ago. Didn't know it was in the box but found it looking for something else.

Tom posted a book review by Peter Allsop, an English kung fu teacher, in the thread that I started but it is not there now so I will copy it below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Daoist Health Preservation Exercises' By Bian Zhizhong - A Review
By Peter Allsop | Submitted On November 02, 2010

Chinese anti-aging and longevity expert Bian Zhizhong looks to natural treatments to restore youthfulness and prolong healthy life in 'Daoist Health Preservation Exercises' (1996) from China Today Press. He explains why these are more effective than traditional Western methods before setting out in easy-to-understand detail, practical methods and routines with supplementary drawn illustrations for those interested to follow as part of a relatively short text (144 pp) but one jam-packed with sound practical advice.

Never judge a book by its cover,' they say. However in this case the aforementioned, showing two Cranes walking to and fro with outstretched necks, should not be ignored. The Crane, a Chinese Longevity symbol, has good habits that help make it long-lived, These include Qigong practice. Safe in their mountainous, forested retreats Cranes walk to and fro with necks outstretched calling out 'He' forcibly exhaling stale air after a long day's flying and feeding many miles away-- thus the Crane's is 'He' in Chinese. They are also associated, via 5 Elements Theory, with Water and the kidneys, hence the association between the latter and good health and longevity made by Bian Zhizhong at various points in his text.

The author initially laments the fact that exercise and sport are not, by themselves, conducive to longevity, pointing out that even athletes and manual workers may age quickly and die young. "How can we restore youthfulness?" (p.15) he asks,when medicines, drugs, hormone therapy, organ transplants etc may upset the body's natural balance and cause illnesses to develop as a consequence (p.19). These disturb the immune system's natural pattern of hormone production essentially associated with the kidney-the resulting imbalance making us more prone to disease and sickness than before.

The body's internal and external performance and overall health are, he argues, best improved by Qigong practice combining breath control, exercise and external self-massage focusing on the 'xiadan' or lower abdominal area of the body (front and rear). The kidneys, intimately associated with internal and external watery secretions are essential to healthy growth, development and aging. Strong kidney vitality means long life and good health and weak kidneys early, fast aging and a short lifespan the author states (p.17) before presenting details of the preventative and remediative exercises of the Huashan Mountain Daoist Qigong School (to which he belongs) which focus on this area in particular.

Exercises fall into three categories: i. Rhythmic Breathing (e.g. Restoring Spring p.19); ii. Exercise Routines (e.g. Dragon Swimming p.32) and iii. External Self-Massage (e.g. Rubbing the Dragon's Head p.93). Regular combined practice of these for general health and fitness purposes, as part of a regular exercise routine, should cause noticeable improvements to various bodily functions within a relatively short time (my own experiences indicate that this is so).

The author then proceeds to list commonly occurring chronic conditions and/or areas of ill-health and assigns to each a prescription of routines drawn from i) to iii) above. This is interspersed with 'vignettes' taken from case-records of such treatments in action to indicate the potential effects of dedicated application of his methods on the conditions concerned.

A final extensive report (relating to the treatment of impotence) from a grateful ex patient testifies to such practices' efficacy in treating a range of conditions inflicting untold misery upon many. All this may be achieved without surgery or drugs (and the consequent imbalances to internal bodily functions their use occasions) the book makes clear whilst these exercises also help to maintain and restore the body's natural hormonal balance at the same time.

Peter Allsop M.Ed. teaches Shaolin Kung Fu and Qigong in Sheffield U.K. and also a range of subjects in Secondary and Higher Education. With longtime interests in Chinese Culture, History and Martial Arts he is a Senior Student of Grandmaster Yap Leong. Founder Member of Shaolin Fists International and Sifu (Master) of Hoan Lung Quan, Peter is also delivers the Grandmaster's HYL (Health, Youth and Longevity) Energiser Programme. Longevity Training, Iron Shirt and 5 Elements Qigong are among his interests. He also publishes "Red Dragon Martial Arts Ezine"

To find out more visit: [http://www.sheffieldkungfu.com] or http://www.hylenergiser.com

Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Peter_Allsop/771301
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 am

There is another shorter, earlier article by Peter Allsop that briefly mentions Bian Zhizhong which is also on the Ezine website. For completeness' sake:

Health, Youth and Longevity Via Qigong
By Peter Allsop | Submitted On September 17, 2010

"Athletes and manual workers cannot avoid aging and dying young" claims Bian Zhizhong (1) one of China's top anti-aging experts, he also asks "How can we restore youthfulness?" (2). Indeed, throughout Man's history he has sought for ways to maintain and enhance his health, preserve or regain youthfulness, defer aging and delay death. Only in these conditions of health and youthfulness is longevity desirable. Reliance upon medicines, drugs, hormone therapy, and organ transplants, for instance, may prove counterproductive as their inevitable side-effects may cause the body's natural balance to be upset even further. This may lead to further illnesses as the immune system's natural pattern of hormone production (essentially associated with the kidney) is disturbed with the resulting imbalance making us even more prone to disease and sickness than before.

The body's internal and external performance and overall health are, I believe, best improved by interrelated Internal (Nei Dan) and External (Wei Dan) Qigong practice combining breath control, exercise and external massage. Strong kidney vitality means long life and good health and weak kidneys early, fast aging and a short one-- with the lungs, liver, heart and spleen it comprises the 'Famous Five' internal organs which are the central focus of 5 Elements internal Qigong. In External, terms, repeated anticlockwise massage of the kidney area (The small of the back) with the flats of both fists simultaneously may help to improve kidney functioning--fifty repetitions, 3-5 times a week should be fine at first. This is one of the many external self-massage techniques commonly used in External Qigong.

Qigong exercises fall into two categories: Rhythmic Breathing Internal Exercise routines and External self-massage and body manipulation. Regular combined practice of these can bring about noticeable improvements to various bodily functions within a relatively short time. The first-mentioned include the Ba Duan Jin/ 8 Pieces of Brocade and Yi Yin Jing routines--these are relatively easy to perform, suitable for beginners and bring about real benefits when practised assiduously. Instructions and guidance are readily available via the internet and a number of relatively inexpensive yet very good instructional DVDs also exist.

Notes and References:

(1) Daoist Self Preservation Exercises, p.15, Bian Zhizhong, China Today Press

(2) op cit p.15.

Peter Allsop M. Ed. teaches Shaolin Kung Fu and Qigong in Sheffield U.K. and has practised both for nearly 40 years. He also teaches a range of subjects in Secondary and Higher education. Alongside various kung fu styles he teaches 5 Elements Qigong and delivers Grandmaster Yap Leong's Health, Youth and Longevity Programme. He is a Senior Student of the Grandmaster and a Founder Member of Shaolin Fists International. For more information visit [http://www.sheffieldkungfu.com] or http://www.hylenergiser.com

Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Peter_Allsop/771301
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 am

I found a couple of amateur videos of the eight exercises in the book. Here is one series by someone named Shano Servillano who also has uploaded tai chi videos.

Exercise 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q7ukiDlyW4

Exercise 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DXgJ4cDc6c&t=190s

Exercise 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIX6nbwJzl4

Exercise 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebfUbPMzR2Q&t=7s

Exercise 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV2sni2SZqA

Exercise 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV2sni2SZqA

Exercise 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlaZ2iD8wM

Exercise 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOGiBNnUDi0&t=5s
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:27 am

Cell phone video of Bian ZhiZhong's exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blvMkd ... dex=2&t=0s
Last edited by G. Matthew Webb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby salcanzonieri on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Franklin wrote:these exercises became popular in the Chinese Medical circles in China
after they were released to the public - when the guy who received them decided to share
i forget what year that was-- maybe it says it in the intro to the book- if i remember

they are supposed to come from a Hua Shan tradition
and i think what he released was just a portion of the tradition...

even i learned some of the exercises in TCM school (in the US)...

here is an old video that shows some of the exercises - and a bit of testimonials about people who had good results

if i remember the exercises in the vidoe cover almost everything in the book-
but maybe one or two exercises do not overlap- book vs video

i think there are a few instructionals in english floating around too (video)
but not many

thats all i really know about the set

Franklin

This video is the same as the actions depicted in the books. You can get the English versions of Hua Shan Daoist Qigong book on Amazon.
There is an 8.5 x 11 sized book named "A Taoist Guide to Longevity" and a small paperback version called "Daoist Health Preservation Exercises"
both books have the same exact drawings (the are good for being memory joggers after you learn from this video),
But the text is a little different, I think there is more info in the larger format book,it has 15 exercises instead of just 8.
Last edited by salcanzonieri on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan