new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:41 am

windwalker wrote:
Once the data for June are added to the chart, we will be able to assess whether the loosening of restrictions results in a second peak.

No mention of recent riots, are they accounted for in the "loosening of restrictions" ?

So … why haven’t the cities that saw the largest protests seen comparable upticks in COVID cases?
Spikeless Cities

The story is the same across a slew of cities that played host to an outpouring of fury and disgust after Floyd’s killing and, more generally, the impunity police have enjoyed after killing Black Americans for decades.

In Minneapolis, the cradle of the current movement, there have been testing sites stood up specifically for those who attended the protests.

Four sites run in partnership with the Mayo Clinic reported late last week that only 62 positive cases came out of 4,487 people tested, for a positivity rate of 1.4 percent, said Dave Verhasselt, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Health. And on Tuesday, another Minnesota system called Health Partners reported a .99 percent positivity rate from the 8,500 it protesters tested.

Those figures are actually below the current statewide positivity rate which, per Verhasselt, is currently hovering around 3.6 to 3.7 percent. Hospitalizations have also continued their steady decline in the state.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/covi ... ing-spread

They wore masks and were outside.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:18 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:43 pm

I looked at the more recent raw (not graphed) weekly data from the CDC NCHS for the dates ending 6/6, 6/13 and 6/20, and the numbers actually look quite good (still decreasing numbers of deaths for COVID-19, flu, pneumonia) [note that deaths from all causes have also declined well below what would be expected, but I did not look into the reasons for that decline]. It is too early to celebrate since deaths lag behind infections and hospitalizations, but I am now more optimistic that I have been. Also, individual locations may not reflect the national trends.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:28 pm

LaoDan wrote:I looked at the more recent raw (not graphed) weekly data from the CDC NCHS for the dates ending 6/6, 6/13 and 6/20, and the numbers actually look quite good (still decreasing numbers of deaths for COVID-19, flu, pneumonia) [note that deaths from all causes have also declined well below what would be expected, but I did not look into the reasons for that decline]. It is too early to celebrate since deaths lag behind infections and hospitalizations, but I am now more optimistic that I have been. Also, individual locations may not reflect the national trends.

Why are you looking at only specific dates? That seems like an ineffective way to measure anything. Were those the only days you could see?

All the data I am seeing shows that many places are spiking (hospitalizations, which is what I am looking at rather than infections).

Clinical care has and continues to improve. We are about to find out how much of a difference that makes. Labor day (edit: Memorial day, duh) was likely the start of a real disaster (well, that would imply that the response hasn't already been one).
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm

There is a direct correlation between states where bars, restaurants, and churches were opened, and places where they were not.

However, the story is the same. People can complain about whatever they like, and they can interpret statistics however they choose. Ask health professionals where there is a hotspot, and assume that where you are will be a hotspot eventually --if no precautions are taken.

I only go by the number of ambulance sirens I hear. Seriously. There was a time when I could count the number of times, day or night, that I wasn't hearing an ambulance. Nowadays, it seems I hardly hear them. Everybody's not dead. So, I figure that something worked.

Ok, if we see temporary morgues and freezer trucks popping up, it'll start to remind me of NYC 8 weeks ago.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 pm

The ICU at the biggest hospital in Texas is at 100% capacity.

https://www.newsweek.com/texass-largest ... 1593112507
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:The ICU at the biggest hospital in Texas is at 100% capacity.

According to a document obtained by The Houston Chronicle, about 28 percent of ICU beds are being used by COVID-19 patients, while 72 percent of them are currently occupied by non-COVID-19 patients.

Texas
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

New York
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:32 pm

windwalker wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:The ICU at the biggest hospital in Texas is at 100% capacity.

According to a document obtained by The Houston Chronicle, about 28 percent of ICU beds are being used by COVID-19 patients, while 72 percent of them are currently occupied by non-COVID-19 patients.

Yeah? And?

Oh, and you left out the next line:

"If this trend continues, our hospital system capacity will become overwhelmed, leading us to make difficult choices of delaying much-needed non-COVID care to accommodate a greater number of COVID patients," according to the statement. "We are therefore calling upon the people of Houston to do their part in helping us to slow the spread of this dangerous virus."

Edit: Note, this is how people died en mass in Italy and NYC. The medical infrastructure was overwhelmed.

And, this is the largest medical complex in the world.
Last edited by Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Yeah? And?

we may have to allocate more space to covid pt over non-covid pt
who now take up the majority of beds in the ICU.

We are aware of the situation and will adjust
accordingly.

Edited: thought it was strange that someone would ask me about posting a link with no commentary, when they had just done the same.

My reply was what I got out of reading the article condensing what was written.
Guess some missed it.

It’s a virus, sooner or later everyone will have come in contact with it.
Let’s hope in the name of being “safe “ basic freedoms are not lost in the process.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 pm

We? Are you in Texas? Why bother talking about protests in NYC when the problem is not there? Why not just give everyone there hydrochloroquin? Then have a rally. Let's see how it goes? Can't be worse, right? We should have listened to you all along.

Yep, there were 41 dead at the beginning of this thread. If it rises to 410 K, the same arguments will be given. I.e., lots of people die every day. The economy can't stop. It only affects susceptible people. Etc.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Steve James wrote:We? Are you in Texas? Why bother talking about protests in NYC when the problem is not there? Why not just give everyone there hydrochloroquin? Then have a rally. Let's see how it goes? Can't be worse, right? We should have listened to you all along.

Yep, there were 41 dead at the beginning of this thread. If it rises to 410 K, the same arguments will be given. I.e., lots of people die every day. The economy can't stop. It only affects susceptible people. Etc.

Looks like you better stay inside
until it’s safe to come out.

On the other hand

In Chicago, 1,508 people have been shot this year. That is 350 more than 2019.

Do you know how many died there at the beginning of this thread.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Do I know how many people got shot (not died) in Chicago since April? Why, no I don't. Do you know how many tea leaves are in the average tea bag?

This is the thread where people were supposed to talk about the situation "in [their] location." If I were in Chicago, I'd say.
Last edited by Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Covid hit my center this week. So more people are masking up which is good but they should have been doing that already. Sad that people need to see it to believe it. I unfortunately meet a lot of "non-believers." Funny how they react when I tell that we have it at work. All of a sudden these "it's just a flu" non-mask wearing people get nervous just talking to me.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:19 pm

The big hospital downtown has gone from five ICUs full of Coivd patients to one and the state is vacillating between steady and slight increases. People are definitely much more lax ('Rona fatigue) about mitigation, though. So I imagine we will have a spike. I don't understand why the state or at least the city didn't make masks mandatory. It's costing lives and money.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am

grzegorz wrote:Covid hit my center this week. So more people are masking up which is good but they should have been doing that already. Sad that people need to see it to believe it. I unfortunately meet a lot of "non-believers." Funny how they react when I tell that we have it at work. All of a sudden these "it's just a flu" non-mask wearing people get nervous just talking to me.

I'm sure that you're taking all reasonable precautions and have been for some time. But nonetheless, stay healthy Grzegorz !
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic