new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby meeks on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm

what is it they say? oh yea... "don't paint everyone because of a few bad apples" (conservative response to systemic racism)

The majority of them are peaceful protesters.

... they seem to be getting pepper sprayed and tear gassed despite the fact they're peaceful.
Last edited by meeks on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 am

Peacedog wrote:A protest can be dealt with calmly and professionally.

A rioting mob requires belt fed firearms.

I’m certainly not in favour of rioting mobs – if other measures fail, if violence has been inititiated by rioters and the police have to step in and use the necessary level of force to restore order, make arrests, then so be it.

However, even ‘genuine’ rioters usually employ weapons like stones, staves and possibly, in more extreme cases, petrol bombs. Perhaps I misunderstand but are you saying that principally they should be machine-gunned?

Maybe it’s irony and I’m slow on the uptake. -shrug-
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:10 am

Giles wrote:
Peacedog wrote:A protest can be dealt with calmly and professionally.

A rioting mob requires belt fed firearms.

I’m certainly not in favour of rioting mobs – if other measures fail, if violence has been inititiated by rioters and the police have to step in and use the necessary level of force to restore order, make arrests, then so be it.

However, even ‘genuine’ rioters usually employ weapons like stones, staves and possibly, in more extreme cases, petrol bombs. Perhaps I misunderstand but are you saying that principally they should be machine-gunned?

Maybe it’s irony and I’m slow on the uptake. -shrug-

it seem the police forces in the west getting their hands tied behind their backs, anything they do except for taking a step back and try to dialogue rioters into non rioting will be seen as police brutality, and the media help to yell it out.....however sweden again shows the way. as i read a week or so ago, the police in stockholm(i think it was) successfully calmed an escalating situation by going down on their knees on the asphalt as the protesters demanded them to do, however the rioting mob went elswher to do their bussiness....anyway, the swedish police might be on to something, to go all stocholm syndrome with groups disturbing the peace...the future will tell how it worked out
Last edited by Trick on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:53 am

It's silly to argue that police are being handcuffed when the people are protesting police brutality. Duh, if there were no police brutality, there would be no protest. The reasons the protests started are so clear that Stevie Wonder can see it.

However, yes, the way to deescalate violence is to deescalate. If violence is used, there's only more violence. Either way, it will stop. You know, when Gandhi led his demonstrations against the British, what do you think the Brits did at first? They beat them. Then some where shot. However, Gandhi realized that if the people were willing to be shot that the British didn't have enough bullets. And, if the people didn't shoot back, the Brits would lose the will to shoot them.

Otoh, if people where I am really wanted to get violent, they'd get the Trinitarios or MS13 or any number of the other heavily armed gangs that are closer to the cartels. I feel very safe here, and there are protests all the time. (I live by the Bronx Supreme Court House). Now, I will admit that the "rule" is don't hang out on the streets after midnight. But, rioting protesters are not what anyone worries about. No stores on my blocks were boarded up, closed, or burnt. Mother-fers know better. They'd get bricked from the roof or worse.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:55 am

I just heard that Khabib's father has passed away from/with covid. https://sports.yahoo.com/khabib-nurmagomedovs-father-dies-from-covid-19-complications-133129448.html
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12 pm

The results of this study demonstrate that in a strictly monitored protocol-driven in-hospital setting, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin was associated with a significant reduction in mortality among patients hospitalized with COVID-19

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

The link may not work :-\

FULL LENGTH ARTICLE|ARTICLES IN PRESS
Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, and Combination in Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19

Samia Arshad
Paul Kilgore
Zohra S. Chaudhry
William O’Neill
Marcus Zervos
Henry Ford COVID-19 Task Force 1
Show all

Interesting study
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:27 am

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/dn ... r-BB16lII5

An interesting article on Neanderthal DNA and cv-19
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Peacedog wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/dna-linked-to-covid-19-was-inherited-from-neanderthals-study/ar-BB16lII5

An interesting article on Neanderthal DNA and cv-19

Can’t open the link, can you say if it’s good or bad to be an Neanderthal DNA carrier?
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:23 am

It looks like msm deleted the article.

Here is a link to the article on a different cite.

It seems to indicate a specific Neanderthal gene sequence makes it more likely to have a negative reaction to the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/heal ... thals.html
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Another interesting data point.

BCG vaccination is used in a lot of developing countries. SE Asia and sub-Sharan Africa in particular. Both are areas with oddly low CV-19 death rates as well.

Keep in mind I still think type A blood and Vitamin D deficiency, along with obesity, are far higher risk factors than things like the BCG vaccine can provide protection for.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/health/t ... index.html
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 pm

Peacedog wrote:It looks like msm deleted the article.

Here is a link to the article on a different cite.

It seems to indicate a specific Neanderthal gene sequence makes it more likely to have a negative reaction to the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/heal ... thals.html

Hasn’t recent reserch come up with that most Europeans carry Neanderthal and Denisovian DNA, also does East Asian carry it to some extent. So that mean these groups are at high risk.....if “negative reaction” means an reaction in a negative way ?
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 am

Western Europeans have some Neanderthal genes, but East Asians have the highest amounts as far as we know right now. The science on this is far from settled.

As for a negative reaction this means a more severe case of the disease.

Keep in mind they are referencing a specific kind of DNA associated with Neanderthals and it is not clear from the article if this is true of everyone who has Neanderthal DNA or just some people.

Articles like this bring up some interesting points, but as I've stated many times previously, it is going to be at least a good two years until any real understanding of the disease is out there. Too much hysteria and too little data is available on what is happening with the disease presently. As with many things, when the cool light of reason applied in hindsight occurs then we'll probably know just what the hell actually happened. Until then it is all noise.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks for that explaination. Maybe this is th final elimination of the neadethals ?
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 am

Hard to say.

Only a few things have come up so far that seem to be "facts" regarding the disease.

1. Type A blood is much more likely to suffer a severe result. Type O blood is much less likely to have a severe presentation. Most people in SE Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, as an example, are type O blood types.

2. Vitamin D deficiency is a major risk factor. So, if you are dark skinned and live in a northern climate this is a big problem. Which explains why something like half of fatalities in the US involve black people despite being 12-13% of the population. It is unclear if taking a vitamin D supplement helps or not.

3. Obesity and old age are also major risk factors. Again it's why the disease largely affects old people. The disease has caused major problems in Latin America as those populations are frequently over-weight in urban areas and Latin populations are some of the longer lived general populations in the world. Also it could be why it does not appear to be such a big issue in sub-Saharan Africa, although this could be a reporting problem based off of weak governments. The populations are both hungry as well as much younger.

Outside of those items I'd be hard pressed to come up with definitive answers regarding the disease. It's just going to take more time to figure things out.
Peacedog
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic