Statues and symbols

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Statues and symbols

Postby roger hao on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:50 pm

fer sure Steve
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Yes, for sure. The Jehovah's Witnesses are one group. But, it's the reasons they and others (like Jews and Muslims, too) do not have statues of their holy people. Afa what I was saying to trick, it goes back to the same debates around the time of Constantine. A quick trip to the wiki has this.

Religious images in Christian theology have a role within the liturgical and devotional life of adherents of certain Christian denominations. The use of religious images has often been a contentious issue in Christian history. Concern over idolatry is the driving force behind the various traditions of aniconism in Christianity.

In the early Church, Christians used the Ichthys (fish) symbol to identify Christian places of worship and Christian homes.[1] The Synod of Elvira (306 AD - 312 AD) "prohibited the exhibition of images in churches".[2] However, since the 3rd century AD, images have been used within Christian worship within parts of Christendom,[3] although some ancient Churches, such as the Church of the East, have apparently long traditions of not using images.[4]

Certain periods of Christian history have seen supporters of aniconism in Christianity, first with the movement of Byzantine Iconoclasm, in which Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Emperors Michael II, as well as Theophilos, "banned veneration of icons and actively persecuted supporters of icons."[5] Later, during the Iconoclastic Fury, Calvinists removed statues and sacred art from churches that adopted the Reformed faith.[6][7]

Religious imagery today, in the form of statues, is most identified with the Roman Catholic and Lutheran traditions.[8] Icons are used extensively, and are most often associated with parts of Eastern Christianity,[9] although they are also used by Roman Catholics and Lutherans.[10] Since the 1800s, devotional art has become very common in Christian homes, both Protestant and Catholic, often including wall crosses, embroidered verses from the Christian Bible, as well as imagery of Jesus.[11] In Western Christianity, it is common for believers to have a home altar,[12][13] while dwelling places belonging to communicants of the Eastern Christian Churches often have an icon corner.[14]

A cult image or idol is a material object, representing a deity, to which religious worship is directed.[15] It is also controversially and pejoratively used by some Protestants to describe the Eastern Orthodox (and, to a lesser extent, Catholic) practice of worshipping the Christian God through the use of icons, a charge which these Christians reject. In a similarly controversial sense, it is also used by some Protestants to pejoratively describe various Catholic devotional practices such as scapulars and the veneration of statues and flat images of the Virgin Mary and other saints, which Catholics do not consider idolatry.

The also called those anti-statue people "iconoclasts."
The "First Iconoclasm", as it is sometimes called, existed between about 726 and 787. The "Second Iconoclasm" was between 814 and 842. According to the traditional view, Byzantine Iconoclasm was started by a ban on religious images by Emperor Leo III and continued under his successors.

Anyway, my point is that it's only a statue, and plenty of people besides "leftists" or atheists knock them down. Hey, I think it's right to respect a person's religion, whether or not I agree with or believe it. I agree, though, that a good "Christian" wouldn't spend time knocking down statues. That is simply vandalism. It's not religious or political, it's just stupid.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Interesting Jesus statue curiosa(at least for us that are Swedes)

The world famous Rio Jesus statue was made of concrete/cement from the Swedish company “Cementa” located in my hometown Malmö(in the city district “Limhamn”)
The statue used to be called “Limhamns Jesus” by Swedes
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 am

hmmmmm Americans!-
The owners said they were getting a lot of angry calls and emails over the flag.
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/07/29 ... breakfast/
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am

Ignorant Americans. :) I'm offended.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic