Tummo training with Dr. Nida (online)

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Tummo training with Dr. Nida (online)

Postby Peacedog on Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 am

An incredibly rare opportunity to learn Tummo practice online has come up.

Dr. Nida (drnida.com) is teaching Tummo practice between 11-14 Jun. And the course cost is only $200 USD.

Registration is here: https://menla.org/retreat/menla-online- ... o-retreat/

It is one of the two power generation yogas found in the Six Yogas of Naropa from Tibetan Buddhism. The other being trulkhor. Without practicing one of these two, many of the other yogas largely do not work.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Tummo training with Dr. Nida (online)

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm

I thought I’d provide an update on my experiences.

So far it seems to work in combination with bumpachen/vase breathing with rotation.

If I practice tummo with bumpachen, the heat starts to build at about the 15 minute mark. At present I am averaging anywhere between 13-25 rotations in each direction per breathe held depending upon if I’m fasted or not. As it is summer where I am at I have not really pushed heat generation with this technique. This winter I will and I’ll report on that.

So far the main effect has been elevated mood.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks for the update, Peacedog. Sounded interesting to me, but alas, the timezone was too difficult for me to attend consistently. (Anyway I think I am not at a level to appreciate it much yet.) Looking forward to hearing more!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:20 pm

$200 for an elevated mood?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Climb-up on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 pm

GrahamB wrote:$200 for an elevated mood?

Lol, If the goal is to learn tummo for an elevated mood then there is no point in spending $200.
I’d go so far as to say that if the goal is an elevated mood then you might as well learn a little pranayama, either in a yoga class, or through a book or DVD (Dr Vasant Lad’s pranayama DVD is VERY good).

But the point of tummo is not an elevated mood (or, at least, not JUST an elevated mood) but as a method of achieving enlightenment within the context of Tibetan tantric Buddhism. Tummo is the basis of all other ‘completion stage’ practices and must be learned precisely and by a qualified teacher (not just because of the perscision, the but the tea her is the path in tantric Buddhism). There are teachings available, but they are not always easy to find in person and often have restrictions attached (eg only available who have performed the preliminary 500,000 practices as well as many months, or years of deity yoga practice). Within this context, it is a very rare and wonderful opportunity.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm

That's a good book.

So far one of the main items normally missed with tummo is the need to conduct bumpachen/abdominal churning at the same time. That really made the practice come alive. FWIW, it also works well as an appetite suppressant.

I'll post more this winter.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups