The Six Yogas of Naropa in 100 days

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

The Six Yogas of Naropa in 100 days

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:16 am

An unusual opportunity to learn all Six Yogas of Naropa, from a medical perspective, will take place over 100 days starting in September.

All instruction will be online.

This is uncommon to say the least and the training fee is dirt cheap.

Tuition is $500-1000 USD.

https://www.yuthokling.org/courses
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: The Six Yogas of Naropa in 100 days

Postby Climb-up on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:59 pm

I thought I had clicked on the wrong forum inadvertently when I saw this! Lol

Not just the six yogas (“just”), but the entire practice of the Yuthok Nyingthig, which covers every aspect of Tibetan Buddhism in a very traditional way that is also extremely accessible to 21st century life!
Not only are these teachings extremely rare and precious, but Dr Nida is absolutely amazing and genuinely wonderful person to learn from.
Climb-up
Santi

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 am

Covid has pretty much dropped the hammer on the seminar circuit.

A big result of this is that a lot of practitioners are now teaching important material online and at very reasonable rates.

For example, when I learned the trulkhor portion of this training initially it cost about $2000 USD for 3 1/2 days of training. About half of that was housing at the training lodge.

Covid won't last forever and teachers will figure out their price structure as well.

I've been encouraging people to take advantage of this while they can.

On another more practical note, as I enter old age I've found the people who can keep playing all have three things in common: a religious adherence to conditioning, good body composition and one of a few very specific internal development practices.

The ones I've seen that work long term are: trulkhor, shih shui gung, the orbits as integrated into your passive breathing pattern, and breath retention integral with a movement based practice.

Tummo in Tibetan Yoga works well in this construct, hence why I keep recommending it to people.

Plus Dr. Nida is a decent teacher who is approachable.
Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Attended a Naro Chodruk (6 Yogas od Naropa) about 20 years with Glen Mullin andit was very 'mind opening". I had dreams for about 1 week, one after the other!
Actual asanas were similar to sitting baduanjin with bouncing movement but it was calming" and inspiring. I do not remember the sequences but for my "old mind" just sitting and being quiet is a blessing ???
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:03 am

It sounds like you learned some trulkhor. Good stuff.

As for the dreaming. Dream yoga is a major aspect of the system and one that many people here would benefit from. It is useful as it exploits what is otherwise downtime for most people. Far superior to the lucid dreaming techniques I've learned elsewhere and much less draining.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups