Cycling and

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Cycling and

Postby everything on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:01 am

very nice. I don't have enough skill in "manuals" or bunny hops for handling larger obstacles, but easier singletrack while "underbiking" is fun. I'll probably add Jones bars to my gravel bike. Heavier maybe but will have stability and slight aero and a cruise/upright position.

I'd consider adding a mtb to the stable, but want to spend the budget on an e-skateboard or kit. So much fun to be only one inch above the pavement, slow cruising and carving. It'd be nice to go uphill effortlessly.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:34 am

For Everything - gravel biking is what it's all about -

roger hao

Postby everything on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:19 pm

I wish I had some of those "fire roads" that people post pictures and videos about!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 am

Steve James wrote:Btw, afa road racing in the mountains, it's a matter of pure skill to be able to use brakes as little as possible. Though, nowadays there are hydraulic disc brakes that won't burn up. :) But, the rest is just a question of pure guts. It's possible to get to 50+ mph without pedaling.

I did a bit over 50mph on my racer off the top of Caha Pass in Ireland last Sunday (83.5kph) and have done it in the Alps as well... 50mph is about my top comfortable speed on a clear road with good surface- My roommate in college raced for the university cycling team and said he had done over 70 descending off Mt. Tom in western Massachusetts.

I am just back from a gravel&swim spin out in the woods. Definitely a nice way to burn off the hangover. :)
Last edited by vadaga on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 am

Did you see Evenepoel's fall yesterday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPJ3r_BXL8

Yeah, it's easy to do 50 in the Alps, as long as there's not that much traffic. If you can't keep a good line because you can't see around the next turn, you (meaning me) will have to touch the brakes. And, racers will push those big gears to the limit and go much faster. But, at my age, I just get too scared. When I was 20, and thought I was invulnerable, it was different. Now, my imagination is just too vivid. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:10 am

Nah I was out at the pub all day yesterday and today was trail biking so I am just catching up on the cycling news.
EDIT
Whoa. Carnage at both big races yesterday. Remco's fall reminds me of that crash in the Tour a couple years back when the rider got thrown over the wall- only much more air afterwards. Lucky to be alive.
The Italian spectators' video that got the best view of the crash is also an informative guide to swearing in Italian.
Remco's vid this week showing him trying to stand and move was quite impressive and he will probably do so considering he is so young. I think riders only have so many comebacks in them though. Froome and Richie Porte are two in recent years who seem to ever come back 100% from after big crashes...
Last edited by vadaga on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 am

Tour de France has been interesting this year thus far... though it would have been good to see the showdown between fully stacked Ineos and Jumbo Visma...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm

Day one took out a few contenders. I wasn't surprised about Froomie. He'll go for the Giro, imo. Roglich looks really good. Julian is in yellow a bit too early. Caleb looks to be the sprint king. Sagan doesn't look as strong as in past years.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am

Steve James wrote:Day one took out a few contenders. I wasn't surprised about Froomie. He'll go for the Giro, imo. Roglich looks really good. Julian is in yellow a bit too early. Caleb looks to be the sprint king. Sagan doesn't look as strong as in past years.

Jumbo Visma are stacked... if I were betting I would say they are the faves between Roglic and Dumoulin. I decided to root against them now after reading this article about Asmund Jansen https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/sparks-fly-between-nicolas-roche-jumbo-visma-young-france-tour/
With the way things are going the most interesting thing this year may end up being the points jersey and the finish line sprints. Although the GC has yet to shake out I dont think that any of the other teams will be able to take on Jumbo Visma alone... witness their train up the mountain on yesterday's stage.

BBC had a good article today on Legion of Los Angeles also.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:24 pm

I just learned that Alaphilippe has lost the yellow jersey because of an infraction. Aww. That's too bad because he might not be able to fight back.
Yay for seeing Peter back. I agree that JumboV is a monster team this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7JgmAzVjbI
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Alaphilippe losing the yellow for taking a bidon in a stage where they were riding active recovery for the whole day was rather silly.

It will be interesting to see whether Bennett or Sagan takes the Green to Paris. Also how many more sprint finishes Caleb Ewan takes... GC is pretty much no contest... I would like to see some of the other teams being more active but it seems that Jumbo will just nullify any moves as they are so much deeper as happened on the climb today.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeah, it's hard to say why that rule is even there. It's a shame for Alaphilippe, though, and Yates said he didn't want the yellow jersey that way. But, s__t y__h he took it. :)

It's a long race, though.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:22 am

i feel like the GC is pretty much going to be Jumbo Visma's unless all of the other GC teams band up against them...I'd like to see Nairo Quintana do something this year now that he's finally off Movistar but doubt that will happen. Bernal will have to settle for White Jersey this year which TBH he would have gotten last year if that stage hadnt gotten cancelled and the one after gotten shortened. AG2R seem to have the climber jersey sewn up already as well, so really it is just green and stage wins to watch. I do wonder if Jumbo Visma will let Wout Van Aert contest the green jersey.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:05 am

Wow. Today was some race. Tomorrow the mountains stages start.
That will be interesting. Nairo might have a chance to win a stage.
Yep, the Jumbo squad is the one to watch.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:06 am

Peter Sagan thanked his team for pulling the breakaway on Friday though he had a mechanical in the final sprint meaning he didnt get as many points as he'd have liked from it. Currently Sagan by 7 over Bennett... not much happening on the points competition today down in the Pyrenees
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic