Punch combo

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Punch combo

Postby Bao on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:54 am

Thought this was a pretty good example on that you can punch fast with a combo and still use that belly and center line behind the punch to power up. You compare from 1. 20 and onwards. The guy throwing punches on the bag uses body mechanics from xingyi. The other guy (owner of the channel) admits that he probably cannot get the same power behind the punch. If you just look at the XY guys punches it can look similar as any general punching or boxing, but if you compare those two, the difference is quite evident.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9G_u2tULdcA

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Punch combo

Postby Overlord on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:39 am

Tang Shou Dao.
Toubu bengquan. I am not good enough on this punch so can’t comment too much.
Last edited by Overlord on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Since the thread is slow and I’m being slightly obstinate minded from time to time 8-) i want to contribute with my thought that punch “combo”on heavybag is mainly for endurance training.....Well timed with precision one punch should be enough if to be applied....
But if one feel the need for throwing punches in combinations on objects, then for timing and precision do it on focus pads...
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:01 pm

As you don't use youtube: I didn't mention bags. They do it on a pad that the other person is holding. The difference is evident comparing their punching style. One does it in a common way, like most trained people throws punches. The other person really gets the body behind the punch and throw much heavier punches. Still he manages to throw several heavy punches after each other, fast and natural. It looks very easy but takes quite some time to develop.

Sure, one punch should be enough, but the ability to 'eat' in through a guard is also a good skill. Especially good in a sparring situation. In a real situation, maybe unecessary to think in terms of combos. But the point is that all of your punches should be strong and heavy. Every single one of your punches. I like what Dempsay said about throwing weak jabs against someone's guard that is common in all boxing. He hated those and thought it was ridiculous. Also compare with what Bruce Lee wrote about feints. He said that every feint must be just as good as any real attack and look just as a real attack.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 pm

Bao wrote:As you don't use youtube: I didn't mention bags.
. The guy throwing punches on the bag uses body mechanics from xingyi.
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:25 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 pm

Bao wrote: But the point is that all of your punches should be strong and heavy. Every single one of your punches. I like what Dempsay said about throwing weak jabs against someone's guard
if I recal right Dempsey wrote about the difference in punching with boxing gloves on vs bare knuckle fighting....Bare knuckle there was no need for “power punching”, of course still comited but more on precision
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Trick wrote:
Bao wrote:As you don't use youtube: I didn't mention bags.
. The guy throwing punches on the bag uses body mechanics from xingyi.

So I wrote bag instesd of pad. Didn't suspect that soneone who didn't watch it still wanted to comment on it. ;)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 pm

Trick wrote:[...Bare knuckle there was no need for “power punching”, of course still comited but more on precision

He also taught how power comes natural from good mechanics. The vid is not about 'power punching', it's about how to punch with power.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Bao wrote: Didn't suspect that soneone who didn't watch it still wanted to comment on it. ;)

As i wrote, i thought the thread was slow, so I helped it going a little......and also I found out a little more about the vid without seeing it... 8-)
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 am

The video as most of the clips on the Channel is on Chinese, so I think you should be able to find him easily on Chinese speaking platforms: NTUMA台大武學
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links