dont get twisted

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

dont get twisted

Postby rojcewiczj on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm

I think the principle of minimizing the amount of torque an external force puts on your joints goes a long way to increase efficiency in movement.
When a force is exerted on you, if it torques your joints or your center of gravity it will tense you up and harm your balance if not injure you. If you can move and adjust in such a way that no torquing occurs, then
you can stay in the best condition to apply and return force.

What do you all think of this principle; the idea of not letting anything twist you up?
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Re: dont get twisted

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Instead of thinking about "not letting", it's better to think, "how to take advantage on it".
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby rojcewiczj on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:52 pm

I think trying to do something to an opponent can sometimes get you in a bad position. If you make sure
your not in a position to get twisted you can nullify your opponents actions and create opportunities, yeah? They're connected right: not getting twisted, twisting your opponent up.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:19 pm

rojcewiczj wrote:I think trying to do something to an opponent can sometimes get you in a bad position. If you make sure
your not in a position to get twisted you can nullify your opponents actions and create opportunities, yeah? They're connected right: not getting twisted, twisting your opponent up.

You can also borrow your opponent's twisting force and counter him. Examples can be seen in this clip.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 pm

That's a version of the "Fighting Chickens" 2 man form you find in many northern Chinese martial arts. Possibly it comes from Lost Track Boxing.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 pm

rojcewiczj wrote:What do you all think of this principle; the idea of not letting anything twist you up?

The idea of not letting anyone twist you up starts with actually not letting anyone twist you. This is the prime reason why you should try to not cross your own center line with your arms as it's easy to take advantage of this. I do this mistake sometimes and then, if I play with someone experienced, I might find myself pretzelled up. This has happened. So the first thing is to keep your frame intact (not by forcing, tensing up or being stiff obviously). If you have already compromised your balance and structure, you have no way of escaping a good and experience player.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan