Hong Kong: end of one country, two systems?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Hong Kong: end of one country, two systems?

Postby vadaga on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 am

Page 4 of this survey shows that HK public opinion on 'degree of freedom', 'degree of prosperity' 'rule of law', 'degree of stability' and 'degree of democracy' have hit all-time lows since 1997
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5cfd1ba6a7117c000170d7aa/t/5f3b76632bdfc62156208a3f/1597732453956/PORI_PC_20200818_tp_penri_eng.pdf
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:04 am

I recently watched the original HK flick “a better tomorrow”(love those old gun fu movies)
At the begging of the movie Chow Yun Fat’s character Mark is buying some traditional Chinese street vendor food.....while waiting for his gangster buddies.
Police comes and the street vendor have to run...I’ll guess doing street vendor business back then in HK was illegal...
However in mainland China such businesses could be found everywhere, but in recent years here in China doing such business have become more difficult...seems the mainland adopted the HK rules on this...

Ok, to the PORI. Back when it was an respected reserch institute it was rum by the university of HK...however it was recently made independent(US might have its fingers in the institute by now)...so that’s it about them.

Back to Jimmy the owner of the paparazzi paper The Apple, he was released on bail.....Bailed out, much how it works in the US too
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

When I was in the PRC in 2005 street vendors operating without a permit was illegal in Hangzhou.

I remember a lady running with a cart of fruit and some of it falling to the ground and another lady grabbed it. The vendor asked for her fruit after hiding her cart and the other lady losing face shouted she would turn the lady in.

That's when I knew it was time to leave China. :)
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:50 pm

grzegorz wrote:When I was in the PRC in 2005 street vendors operating without a permit was illegal in Hangzhou.

I remember a lady running with a cart of fruit and some of it falling to the ground and another lady grabbed it. The vendor asked for her fruit after hiding her cart and the other lady losing face shouted she would turn the lady in.

That's when I knew it was time to leave China. :)

Well there you go, Hangzhou seem to already then adopted the HK laws on the street vendor thing 8-)
The movie I mentioned is from 1986, I first came to China(Beijing)in 88 street vendors where plenty, when I moved to China(Beijing)in 2005 there where still such businesses, 2007 moving to dalian street food where plenty, but crackdown of such businesses began around 2013.
So mainland China has come closer to the HK ways of doing things.....and now it’s time for HK to do the same toward China....a meet in the middle 8-)
Trick

Postby vadaga on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:03 pm

Afa PORI
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/23/pollster-robert-chung-says-hell-keep-giving-hongkongers-their-say-despite-police-raid-and-national-security-law/
the POP and PORI both faced what Chung described as “smearing campaigns.” He said he was often the target of these attacks, with pro-Beijing groups labelling him a “secret agent” or alleging the institute was funded with foreign money.

Also here is an SCMP article talking about the dispute going on at the WTO as to whether 'Made in Hong Kong' will be a thing in future https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3098203/hong-kongs-wto-threat-against-us-made-china-ruling-puts-city
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:24 am

vadaga wrote:Afa PORI
https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/23/pollster-robert-chung-says-hell-keep-giving-hongkongers-their-say-despite-police-raid-and-national-security-law/
the POP and PORI both faced what Chung described as “smearing campaigns.” He said he was often the target of these attacks, with pro-Beijing groups labelling him a “secret agent” or alleging the institute was funded with foreign money.

Tough to call them tyrants and murderers. I guess this is the picture the US have... :-\ The new laws were not created to shut people down from speaking. From China's POV, it was a necessary move to stop people from accepting money from the US. People have got payed to start all sorts of conflicts. And it's nothing different to what most countries already have. What does the US do to people when they are payed or bribed in similar manner to obstruct, interfere with politics or just with business in a way that is in conflict with US interests? They put them in jail and sometimes they just let them sit there and rot.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Trap-Am ... 1529326869

Also here is an SCMP article talking about the dispute going on at the WTO as to whether 'Made in Hong Kong' will be a thing in future https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3098203/hong-kongs-wto-threat-against-us-made-china-ruling-puts-city

"Made in Hong Kong", I like that. Good move. Hope they do so. 8-)
Last edited by Bao on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:27 am

An analysis here says that the end of one country two systems in HK was largely decided by the CCP back in 2017 https://www.prcleader.org/pei-2
Last edited by vadaga on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:55 am

vadaga wrote:An analysis here says that the end of one country two systems in HK was largely decided by the CCP back in 2017
that it will end was decided when it was implimented....1997
Last edited by Trick on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby vadaga on Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks for the comment- perhaps I was not clear enough. The accelerated end of one country two systems before 2047 as was decided in 2017 as detailed in the report.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:29 am

best to take it step by step........actually its been known since 1898 that HK would become all Chinese land again
Last edited by Trick on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:44 am

vadaga wrote:Thanks for the comment- perhaps I was not clear enough. The accelerated end of one country two systems before 2047 as was decided in 2017 as detailed in the report.

Have no ideas why people believe that. It doesn't speed up any process. The new laws, forced solely by the US interference, is only something that every other country already has. A normalization that the West hates because they won't be as successful when they try to stir up problems. But it doesn't affect common HK citizes.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:05 am

Bao wrote:
vadaga wrote:Thanks for the comment- perhaps I was not clear enough. The accelerated end of one country two systems before 2047 as was decided in 2017 as detailed in the report.

Have no ideas why people believe that. It doesn't speed up any process. The new laws, forced solely by the US interference, is only something that every other country already has. A normalization that the West hates because they won't be as successful when they try to stir up problems. But it doesn't affect common HK citizes.

Yes, the laws had to be implemented since foreign crooks using HK as a weapon of country destabilization. And since that’s the case, Beijing hasn’t broken any contract that Deng and Thatcher agreed on........
Trick

Postby .Q. on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:02 am

After HK, it's Inner Mongolia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pf01Ziluf4
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:35 am

Better to read a more neutral and not anti-Chinese source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/05/asia ... index.html

Many mongolians obviously don't want the system to change and are worried, and that's understandable. You can see that they are not afraid to speak up. Chinese demonstrate a lot all over China when they don't like something. They don't look oppressed, or do they? ;) But I don't believe that China wants to take away the Mongolian language or culture, but they plane to "scale down" Mongolian in the schools, as the article says.

Despite what most people believe, China is actually opening up. Amongst many things, they are making it more possible for people to travel and work in other places in China while keeping their health benefits from their own province. But as China is opening up, more people from different rural areas sometimes have it hard to find jobs. Mandarin has become a standard and you need to know good Mandarin. As the last sentences says, being bilangual is not a problem, they already are.

"The (old) education system has worked very well," said the scholar, who grew up in Inner Mongolia and attended Mongolian-language schools in the countryside.
"The children don't have any problem speaking Mandarin ...They're already bilingual."

But the problem is that the level of education in China is already very high and continue to rise. Often you need to be able to write and read on an advanced level even to be be able to find small jobs. So they really need to bring up the level of education in smaller places. They will still study their own language and culture, as every other minority does. Now they try to standardise the education level in all of China so that smaller places can keep up with others. So this is not really about something they do to mongolians, but has to do with something in a plan to build up and, in fact, also to open up the whole China, creating more possibilities for everyone.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic