Fighting Covid-19 with TCM

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Fighting Covid-19 with TCM

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 am

Very interesting special episode from Ken Gullette's Internal Fighting Arts Podcast.

Well worth listening to if you have any interest in traditional Chinese medicine
... as well as if you think you might have caught Covid 19 ...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/internal-fighting-arts

Internal Fighting Arts 52 - COVID and TCM
"Stephen Jackowicz, Ph.D. has developed an early-stage anti-viral treatment for Covid-19 patients using Traditional Chinese Medicine, particularly herbal treatments. At the time of this interview, he has treated more than 90 people who tested positive for Covid-19. None of them have seen their symptoms deteriorate to the point where hospitalization was required. Ken Gullette talks with Dr. Jackowicz about his treatments and how they work in the early stages of the illness, at a time when most doctors are advising patients to "wait it out." Note: this is not a cure for COVID-19, but it is timely information as the world continues to battle this virus."
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Fighting Covid-19 with TCM

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:33 am

Going by the text in the quote only, the 90 patient could be just having naturally strong immune system owing nothing really to TCM ?
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:05 am

Trick wrote:Going by the text in the quote only, the 90 patient could be just having naturally strong immune system owing nothing really to TCM ?

Yes of course, but the whole idea is to fight Covid-19 early. This goes for most of TCM, you take something but you never know if it has worked or not. Is it better to do nothing than to do things that will lower the fever, boost your immune system and strengthen the lung capacity, just because you don't know if it would work? -shrug-

Sweden uses the same logic as you for using face mask. How do you know they really work? Maybe there would be no extra people getting infected if all of those countries didn't not use face mask? How do you know that it really works? So there's no point of wearing one, right? ;)

Anyway, it's an interesting and very open discussion. Worth listening to.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:33 am

shortly:
fortifying our own immune system is the way to go.
Isn`t it natural/standard result / or by product,/of any, properly done IMA practice?
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:36 am

Imo, it's definitely worthwhile to strengthen one's immune system, if one can. Afa using TCM methods, I don't see why not. I can't say what would work specifically for covid. The results of this study, as ya'll point out, is just anecdotal. Most people who test positive for covid don't end up in the hospital anyway. So, I think it would be more exciting to hear about positive effects from using specific TCM methods on people who were really ill.

Using TCM to improve the immune system is a good idea. I think whatever has been the traditional method would still work. It's when it comes to dealing specifically with covid that I am less certain about what to do.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:32 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Going by the text in the quote only, the 90 patient could be just having naturally strong immune system owing nothing really to TCM ?

Yes of course, but the whole idea is to fight Covid-19 early. This goes for most of TCM, you take something but you never know if it has worked or not. Is it better to do nothing than to do things that will lower the fever, boost your immune system and strengthen the lung capacity, just because you don't know if it would work? -shrug-

Sweden uses the same logic as you for using face mask. How do you know they really work? Maybe there would be no extra people getting infected if all of those countries didn't not use face mask? How do you know that it really works? So there's no point of wearing one, right? ;)

Anyway, it's an interesting and very open discussion. Worth listening to.

Yes as i understand is that TCM(mostly)is to be applied early for effect, however eating healthy and getting good rest might work same ?
On face masks, A thought came to mind, maybe face mask wearing actually subconsciously signals “keep distance” ?
Last edited by Trick on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:14 am

Trick wrote:Yes as i understand is that TCM(mostly)is to be applied early for effect, however eating healthy and getting good rest might work same ?

Yeah, but you can still get ill. This Covid-19 thing seems to be very unpredictable. And if you get it, you need to treat it as early as possible.

... I.e. not like in Sweden where they don't let people get treatment until they need the respirator. :-\

On face masks, A thought came to mind, maybe face mask wearing actually subconsciously signals “keep distance” ?

Yes of course. It would be a good thing, keeping people on distance and reminding them of keeping distance. And also, many people don't care about this keeping distance thingie. So it's obviously better to protect both yourself and others in crowded places.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:30 pm

The main issue with TCM based herbalism is in the application and availability.

Greatly simplifying things, herbal medicine is individually tailored for best effect and you can absolutely kill someone, particularly an older person in bad shape, through misapplication. So the first question is always, "is the doctor in particular good enough to recognize what needs to be used?"

The other big issue is availability. And based what on I've seen given cost and the difficulty in sourcing all of the herbs used to treat things like lung heat, the numbers being reported by the Chinese government are clearly bul#@$%t. A full on run on herbals has been going on since at least October and the things you need to treat Covid-19 are getting increasingly difficult to source through any available channel.

So yeah, I think TCM based herbal medicine is great if you have someone who knows what they're doing and it is available. But those are two big issues and even the Chinese market is not setup to provide what would be needed to cover their entire society if demand went up significantly.
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:51 am

TCM is a valid method based on presentation and the individual CAM/TCM prescriptive criteria.
Add that everyone has never responded equally to the same 'treatment" and that so far, there have been at least 15 "mutations" reported by mediical media sources

Journal of Chinese MEdicine has sone some new insights on COVID-19
https://www.journalofchinesemedicine.co ... icine.html
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:02 am

Lishizhen - tell me if you want a hookup
roger hao

Return to Off the Topic