Anyone got good cultivation methods for peace?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Anyone got good cultivation methods for peace?

Postby Quigga on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Could really use some right now...
Last edited by Quigga on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quigga

Re: Anyone got good cultivation methods for peace?

Postby yeniseri on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:54 am

From my small mind, such a thing has never existed.
Find the peace within yourself and the rest will be hisotry.....

samsara and nirvana come from the same mind!
A wiser man than me (the stupid one) said it
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby meeks on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:49 am

it is said that peace is within us, buried under all of our thoughts, practises, and distractions. When we act upon de-cluttering (through martial arts practice, meditation, mindfulness, etc..) we begin to strip away all of the thoughts that prevent peace.
How many people here are guilty of various thoughts during practise/mediation? eg: oh, I need to pay that bill when I get home, Oh I need to call so-n-so later...
The only thing that matters when practising/meditating? tic...This very moment..toc...right...tic...now...toc...

When you can achieve a level of mindfulness so that all distractions are eliminated and the only thing you can think about is this very moment... maybe, just maybe... peace will reveal itself within you.

Then begins a whole new level... ;)
Last edited by meeks on Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Trick on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:18 am

. Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known....... Carl Sagan
Trick

Postby Quigga on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:30 am

I removed the request for deletion, might be an interesting topic? Thank you for bringing me back to the basics Meeks. I had a few interesting things happen on Friday...
Quigga

Postby greytowhite on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:03 am

Honestly, I didn't really ask for it but I received Reiki Level 2 as part of a Neigong/Neidan intensive a while back. It's really much deeper than most will teach and I feel it's got a very deep connection to esoteric Japanese practices. Our lineage specifically can be traced to a Shingon priest and the various Vajra practices have enabled me to move on to practices from Lingbao, Nyingma, and more. I have really felt improvement in mental health in the two years since I started. The Daxuan Udemy course linked below is very similar to basics of Reiki Level 1 with some Chinese theory as its foundation.

https://www.udemy.com/course/stress-and ... e-taoiste/
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Check out the book "Beyond the Relaxation Response" by Dr. Herbert Benson. I find it valuable for its simple and direct approach.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm

I follow the ancient Tibetan teaching: Don't start none, won't be none.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:40 am

One of the most clever things I've heard is:
Everything I do is for self preservation.

Thanks guys, keep fighting the good fight
Quigga

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 am

we are all one. so doing everything for one self you do it for all the other too....8-)
Trick

Postby yeniseri on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 am

Finny wrote:I follow the ancient Tibetan teaching: Don't start none, won't be none.

it beez like dat, mon ami
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm

klonk wrote:Check out the book "Beyond the Relaxation Response" by Dr. Herbert Benson. I find it valuable for its simple and direct approach.

The reason I again recommend Benson is that he took his source material from Tibetan Buddhists, and from India, Westernized it, brought it into the scrutiny of the scientific community, proved that simple contempative practices lower your blood pressure, and teaches you how to meditate in minutes not years.

Last edited by klonk on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for all the help. I'm kind of burnt out from nursing old sick people you can't cure anymore. Helping people is one thing when you have a perspective for them getting better and improving their situation... In caring for the elderly I've noticed that sometimes (or often...) life is over way earlier than society might like.

I have to grit my teeth, try to be content and at peace at the end of the day, just this month more... I need money to pay for the upcoming Tudi workshop... Then I will look for different work, I promise that to myself.

People constantly moaning, desoriented, looking for their loved ones, screaming, myself changing emotional states 100 times an hour or so to be empathetic... Kinda feels like a battlefield.

In the end what I'm doing isn't fruitful help. The energy just vanishes, paying no dividends.
Last edited by Quigga on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quigga

Postby klonk on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:27 pm

It is not the environment for everyone. A buddy of mine, a Christian priest, is okay with that environment, but it is uppermost in his mind that your past is only your prolog. You never really end. I have gone with him to help him conduct the weekly memorial service he holds at a care facility. Every week, those patients who are left gather to honor those who have left. I begged off after a while. I would look around for familiar faces and realize... Oh.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 am

A part of the emotional cost of end of life caregiving is that you are not going to win the battle--not if the win is they walk out of the place and take up happy and productive lives again. The win, if there is one, is to improve their comfort and dignity as they go.

I did long-term home caregiving for my very elderly mother. When she died, I felt rather disoriented and at loose ends. The same priest mentioned above told me something I had not realized. I had invested my time and resources into caring for my mom, and when the activity I had framed my life around for six long years was over, what I had been focused on was gone. I needed to find myself again. I have since heard something from another long-term home caregiver--who also felt empty and exhausted when, at last, it was over.

Multiply that by a whole ward of people with various stages of terminal oldness, something you or any other healers are powerless to fix, and you have a very trying environment for an empathic person.

"In the end what I'm doing isn't fruitful help. The energy just vanishes, paying no dividends." I know that feeling, but I am not sure it is altogether on target. If you improved their day in any degree, perhaps your day was well spent after all. But, yes, by all means look to see what else you might do, something with a clearer pay-off emotionally. The fight of a healer against death is really never more than a rear-guard action.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan