Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:13 am

There are too many uncertainties in this study to be anywhere close to being definitive. More studies with better controls would need to be carried out.

Let's say that the study is 100% valid. As you pointed out, it indicates a small but not insignificant success rate. That's probably true of other treatment methods, such as using antibodies. But, I don't know any doctor who wouldn't try hcq. In fact, all that's necessary is a prescription. Remember the actor who said he owed his recovery from covid to the hcq his doctor prescribed? That was months ago, and the fear was that people were hoarding the drug, causing shortages for people who needed it for other conditions.

I think the problem is that resources are being siphoned into proving that hcq is effective purely for political reasons. That's because politicians offer it as a solution to a medical problem for which they have zero experience. So, I hear that some people are looking at "oleandrin" as a covid cure because the "MyPillow" guy told the prez.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am

Steve James wrote:
There are too many uncertainties in this study to be anywhere close to being definitive. More studies with better controls would need to be carried out.

Let's say that the study is 100% valid. As you pointed out, it indicates a small but not insignificant success rate. That's probably true of other treatment methods, such as using antibodies. But, I don't know any doctor who wouldn't try hcq. In fact, all that's necessary is a prescription. Remember the actor who said he owed his recovery from covid to the hcq his doctor prescribed? That was months ago, and the fear was that people were hoarding the drug, causing shortages for people who needed it for other conditions.

I think the problem is that resources are being siphoned into proving that hcq is effective purely for political reasons. That's because politicians offer it as a solution to a medical problem for which they have zero experience. So, I hear that some people are looking at "oleandrin" as a covid cure because the "MyPillow" guy told the prez.

I agree that the study is valid, they are reporting on the information that is available to them. But I also think that it is insufficient, and I think that people are misrepresenting (either unintentionally or on purpose?) the conclusions that could be drawn from it. To me it seems like the uncontrolled for factors that I mentioned earlier would probably be significant factors in patient survival, and without accounting for them, the study may end up being insignificant.

To compare patients treated with HCQ alone with those receiving only supportive care, patients treated with another COVID-19-related treatment (macrolides, tocilizumab, lopinavir/ritonavir, remdesivir, atazanavir or anakinra), whether prescribed with or without HCQ, were also excluded.

I do not see “oleandrin” in the study’s list.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 am

I do not see “oleandrin” in the study’s list.

Thank goodness :). Btw, I agree with your overall assessment. I just gave the study the benefit of doubt. If true, then what? As you point out from the article, there are several other treatments that are being used that have shown success.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:19 am

More information supporting the viral load theory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... CGv39Msl2Q
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:44 pm

More crazy Covid news.. apparently being a middle aged overweight biker makes you immune to Covid...

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/s ... ng-n870757
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am

not sure what the author is trying to say in that news article..

that testing the local residents of a town with a population of 7,000 after a large rally only resulted in an increase of 26 more covid cases for the local residents? That when only 650 residents volunteered for the free testing only 26 tested positive?

ok - but what about testing the other almost half million visitors that milled around then went back to their own states and cities?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Peacedog on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Mostly I thought it was an example of a poorly written article. As you pointed out, without some kind contact tracing figuring out the ultimate numbers is going to be pretty difficult. Likewise I think people would need to wait about an extra week to see if anything popped.

At this point new evidence is coming out that not only is a lot of the testing inaccurate in the first place, apparently some are now saying many of the tests are too sensitive and measuring levels of exposure that frankly aren't an issue.

So, I don't know what to believe now.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Speaking as a middle aged biker LOL - I can tell you that intelligent non-covidiot
people are the easiest to con.

So once the truth speaking - fact bearing outlets became tainted it was
simple for the leaders and the nanny's to do the rest.

In other words the narrative is crumbling - you can watch it happen.
False testing - corrupt death reporting. Ends up a big con job.
Sorry if this pisses any one off but it's true - Donald told me.
roger hao

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Sorry if this pisses any one off but it's true - Donald told me.

That says it all.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Ian - that was just a little something to help save face.
roger hao

Postby everything on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:28 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:12 pm

You sir won the internet today.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 pm

More good news on working out how to treat Covid cases.

The drugs in question are both very common and very safe. The only bad news is that efficacy seems to require IV administration. Which means you'll need to actually go into a health care facility to receive treatment.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/09 ... 599054386/
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:39 pm

An interesting article on COVID in Africa. Bottom line is we really don’t know why the numbers are so low there, but increasingly it does not appear to be a low case count based off of poor reporting.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/scientist ... in-africa/
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:42 pm

younger and/or exposed to more similar viruses?

either way, that seems like great news for Africa, and maybe great news for figuring this out
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That