Dynamic Punch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Dynamic Punch

Postby johnwang on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:34 pm

You can have

- 1 step 1 punch.
- 1 step 2 punches.
- 1 step 3 punches.

You can also have many steps 1 punch. Your opponent is moving back. You move in to cover the distance. When you do that, you are using dynamic punch.

Here is an example of the "dynamic punch". I like this kind of mobility training.

Your thought?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Dynamic Punch

Postby Quigga on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:33 am

I don't really get the point of it. When would you use this?

If my enemy moved that far back, it would be clear he doesn't even want to fight...

Why weird jump in the middle? To jump over chain? Or to stomp on poor fellas head? Maybe attack towards ankle with the first long left step. Or against a spear to close distance?

Maybe just a mobility drill.
Quigga

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:54 am

i dont see a jump in that gif but a quick "leg raise, maybe it comes along in a spirited mood..... and thats how i see this practice its to foster a strong forward spirit, the leg raise may be to balancing the forward momentum somewhat ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 am

sorry, i do see a slight jump...maybe its an longfist boxing shuffle
Last edited by Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby johnwang on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:35 pm

Quigga wrote:I don't really get the point of it. When would you use this?

If my enemy moved that far back, it would be clear he doesn't even want to fight...

In battle field, it doesn't matter your opponent wants to fight or not. You still want to kill him.

Quigga wrote:Why weird jump in the middle? To jump over chain? Or to stomp on poor fellas head? Maybe attack towards ankle with the first long left step. Or against a spear to close distance?

It's a skip, hop, or small jump. The long fist footwork intend to cover a lot of space that may not be flat.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:12 pm

johnwang wrote:

In battle field, it doesn't matter your opponent wants to fight or not. You still want to kill him.

In society, that is murder with the possibility of life in prison or death penalty.

johnwang wrote:
Quigga wrote:Why weird jump in the middle? To jump over chain? Or to stomp on poor fellas head? Maybe attack towards ankle with the first long left step. Or against a spear to close distance?

It's a skip, hop, or small jump. The long fist footwork intend to cover a lot of space that may not be flat.

The more skip, hop, or small jump, the more opportunity to be countered. When you "cover a lot of space," the trained opponent has time to get "off line" with footwork and counter.

Your strategy is mainly relying on forward momentum to overcome the opponent, which works. However, the properly trained fighter should be able to counter it, using CMA/universal principles/strategies.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Are you sure this jumping around is not something taken from Beijing Opera?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Bao wrote:Are you sure this jumping around is not something taken from Beijing Opera?

0.12 - 0.14.

0.23 - 0.26.

0.28 - 0.30.

0.18 - 0.20.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Disengaging by running away and then re-engaging from a distance or hitting people whilst running past them with momentum behind you is something that is not studied enough in my opinion. Especially when the situation is not restricted to 1 on 1 fight and situation involves groups of people on separate sides.
zrm
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 pm

zrm wrote:Disengaging by running away and then re-engaging from a distance or hitting people whilst running past them with momentum behind you is something that is not studied enough in my opinion. Especially when the situation is not restricted to 1 on 1 fight and situation involves groups of people on separate sides.

Yielding, leading an opponent into emptiness, then issuing from punching range is generally taught.

Mayweather Jr. lures (yin) by leaning forward, listens (ting), yields, then as opponent strikes (timing) he pivots/controls (na) and hits/issue (fa):

marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:24 pm

Bao wrote:Are you sure this jumping around is not something taken from Beijing Opera?

Western boxers occasionally skip around too
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 pm

marvin8 wrote:
johnwang wrote:

In society, that is murder with the possibility of life in prison or death penalty.

[

So is this the new angle now why we should stop training in TMA, cause the forms has “killingl methods ? It’s getting weirder
Trick

Postby edededed on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Moving punch is a typical northern CMA method - xingyiquan and baguazhang come from the north, too. (Taijiquan is an atypical example I guess.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Trick wrote:
marvin8 wrote:
johnwang wrote:In battle field, it doesn't matter your opponent wants to fight or not. You still want to kill him.

[

So is this the new angle now why we should stop training in TMA, cause the forms has “killingl methods ? It’s getting weirder

It's the law. You can choose to follow it or not.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 am

edededed wrote:Moving punch is a typical northern CMA method - xingyiquan and baguazhang come from the north, too. (Taijiquan is an atypical example I guess.)

It's a western method too called shifting (e,g, Fitzsimmons, Golovkin, Vitor Belfort vs Silva, etc.).
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan