Dune

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Dune

Postby Strange on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:14 pm

:D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Re: Dune

Postby Peacedog on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 am

Very excited about this one.

I just hope they don't screw it up the way they did with the original film.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:17 am

Maybe it will turn out that the third time's charmed, but the Dune story is a big sprawling thing that is difficult to translate to film. While I am willing to be happily surprised, I think this is going to be the third time I have thought the book way better than the movie.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:54 pm

It can only be a good movie on its own, and has to have sequels like Lord of the Rings. Trying to squeeze the whole story into one film will make really long --a bore fest like the Kyle Mc version. But, the technology wasn't there to pull off all the necessary effects.

The cast looks cool. So, all they have to do is tell the story we already know.
The trailer isn't bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQCH3wObeU
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:17 pm

While I agree that it will be impossible to be as good as the books, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie and the series. I rewatch them every few years.

This looks okay, but not stellar. Still, I'm sure I will enjoy it. It's a friggin film.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:55 pm

I read the book soon after it was published. It became a big thing in the 70s. Iirc, the movie came out after the Star Ward phenom, and I think expectations were too high. I didn't think the 80s movie was bad, just dull. I liked many parts. Sting's character, for ex., and Capt Picard was cool.
Anyway, I think it's possible today to do more things with technology. I don't think any movie can live up to the imagination.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm

I am far from convinced. Looks like stylish action. Hate the song. Some of the scenery looks boring. Great actors, but still, can they be true to the characters? I absolutely hated what Lynch did to the Baron and it was very much completely the opposite to how I imagined him. Now when I read that they turned Skarsgård into some kind of a monster, I get very bad vibes. I fear for this production to become a big, big disappointment.

BTW, the book has such a sophisticted style and poetic atmosphere that I don't believe it should be filmed at all.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:11 am

most of the movies make shit (bigger or smaller) from the original novel/book,
with the exception story written with "big screen" in mind from the beginning . Like "Total recall" for ex.

Kinda of natural thing,
when you read you`re building your own universe, difference between individuals are much smaller when they see the movie.
Script written like novel has the less headroom for imagination.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:06 am

Last edited by Taste of Death on Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 am

wiesiek wrote:most of the movies make shit (bigger or smaller) from the original novel/book,
with the exception story written with "big screen" in mind from the beginning . Like "Total recall" for ex.

"Total Recall" was inspired by a Phillip K Dick short story "We can remember it for you wholesale" that honestly had very little in common with either film adaptation beyond the memory recovery/replacement involving mars.

I'm excited for Dune, it looks like it's going to be pretty and expensive with a talented cast, so should be a delight.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:29 am

Steve James wrote:I read the book soon after it was published. It became a big thing in the 70s. Iirc, the movie came out after the Star Ward phenom, and I think expectations were too high. I didn't think the 80s movie was bad, just dull. I liked many parts. Sting's character, for ex., and Capt Picard was cool.
Anyway, I think it's possible today to do more things with technology. I don't think any movie can live up to the imagination.

Agree on all accounts.

I also agree with Bao's comments and concerns.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:58 pm

geez... chill out y'all. it's just a prophecy, not a movie...

jimmy
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 am

oragami_itto wrote:
wiesiek wrote:most of the movies make shit (bigger or smaller) from the original novel/book,

"Total Recall" was inspired by a Phillip K Dick short story "We can remember it for you wholesale" that honestly had very little in common with either film adaptation beyond the memory recovery/replacement involving mars.

I'm excited for Dune, it looks like it's going to be pretty and expensive with a talented cast, so should be a delight.

o, thank you, didn`t know
probably, I read script published as the book, don`t remember the author :)
so, possibility is, that such perfectly done film doesn`t exsist ;D
anyway, I wisch the creators all the best.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Strange on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 am

Last edited by Strange on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 am

Recently reread the series again and I'd say that from the trailer it seems like the makers of this new version have jazzed it up hollywood style and tried for a 'game of thrones in the desert' vibe... It probably won't be horrible but I cant say I'd run out to see it. Jodorowsky's vision seemed to be close to the book (except his twist ending) but of course that didnt get made. I have the David Lynch version on DVD and thought it was ok in some aspects particularly the music is great although he himself disavowed it due to losing final cut to Dino di Laurentiis IIRC. But hey, as long as they are roughly faithful to the source material they cant go too wrong.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic